• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2018 11:37 pm
[OP]
Sep 12, 2012
433 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto

Best Self Install Home Alarm System: Recommendations

I am looking for a self install alarm system for my house that comes with a keypad to activate and deactivate the alarm. I tried the iSmart alarm system and I was very disappointed with it. The app was really slow and the alarm was not loud enough to even wake up a baby from sleeping. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to which alarm system they think is the best.

I know Ring and Nest are coming out with their own alarm system so would it be better to wait until those come out?
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
8825 posts
2721 upvotes
Brampton
Personally I still like the old DSC systems. If your house is prewired setup is easy peasy and it's a one time thing to program the panels.

The system may not be as fancy as these consumer products but DSC Alarm systems are rock solid. A lot of homes are still rocking them and they could be 20+ Years old.
Dec 15, 2009
879 posts
132 upvotes
Ontario
NOT golden security products. They don't work well (cell notifications via data did not work) and they don't stand by their products forcing people to pay to ship it back
[OP]
Sep 12, 2012
433 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto
riffr aff wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 4:03 pm
NOT golden security products. They don't work well (cell notifications via data did not work) and they don't stand by their products forcing people to pay to ship it back
Which product are you referring too?
Dec 15, 2009
879 posts
132 upvotes
Ontario
hamandcheese wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 5:31 pm
Which product are you referring too?
I had one of the systems that accepts a 3G card (so their newest versions). It took forever to install / configure and then a few dozen emails back and forth w/ vendor trying to get it to work properly which it never did. I would never recommend or purchase a Golden Security security product again.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2075 posts
954 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Dog with a big bark. Best security ever...
Aug 1, 2006
112 posts
40 upvotes
MrFrugal1 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 7:29 pm
Dog with a big bark. Best security ever...
Don't recommend that. Thieves nowadays will hurt your dog or make it run out, they don't care if there is a dog inside.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7015 posts
5255 upvotes
Oakville
Bull Dog wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 11:30 pm
Don't recommend that. Thieves nowadays will hurt your dog or make it run out, they don't care if there is a dog inside.
Dogs aren't cheap either. I'd prefer an alarm I don't need to feed, take to a vet, walk, clean up barf/poop, etc.