• Oct 21st, 2017 10:23 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
12122 posts
975 upvotes
Toronto
I have also had good experiences with mobifree. I purchased an unlock for a Rogers iPhone and got the unlock confirmation in less than 24 hours.
Last edited by audit13 on Mar 14th, 2017 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 19, 2013
778 posts
357 upvotes
Ottawa
mobifree wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 10:30 am
I just did a quick ebay search and I definitely cannot match the dirt cheap prices listed there.
Even my source charges more than what the ebay sellers are selling for.
Where do they get their codes from?
Are they international sources which you don't have access to or from a hacked/leaked db?
Nov 29, 2013
70 posts
31 upvotes
NoCountry4RFDer wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 6:28 pm
Where do they get their codes from?
Are they international sources which you don't have access to or from a hacked/leaked db?
Chiming in here. To my knowledge for Apple phones, there isn't a database out in the wild because of the way Apple does unlocks. for android phones? It depends on the company and how they decide to lock their phones to a carrier. Some use algorithms (easier, cheaper), others do connection to a secure server(More expensive, harder). That is all I have to say about that.

But since you're specifically asking about Apple....Apple has a secure connection to the carrier, and the carrier updates the information on their end. So when the carrier tells them "Okay, this phone is now unlocked", apple does something in their backend to update that information, so when the customer puts in a new sim, the phone is now unlocked. I won't speculate on if and where mobifree has a source in this route, but the biggest cost is access to any of the points.

Mobi, if you feel like I've divulged too much, please let me know.

This was told to me second hand, as I wasn't in the unlocking section of the company I worked for, but the repair section. I may be completely off but this was how the guy who did apple unlocks explained it to me.
Please give me a thumbs up if my answer helps!
Sell me your old phones! I like to tinker!

Current Phones: Samsung Galaxy S5, Motorola G 3rd Gen, Huawei P9+
Current Plan: 8GB Koodo Promo Plan for $56
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2474 posts
578 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Apple Unlocking
- All iPhones are shipped UNLOCKED, but if you do NOT buy the iPhone outright at full price, it will be LOCKED the moment you purchase it.
- Apple maintains a database of all their iPhones. Apple basically "calls home" whenever it can and connects to Apple's servers. This record also controls whether an iPhone is network locked or not.
- If you go to a carrier and request an unlock, they submit a request to Apple's database telling it to change your iPhone's status to "unlocked"
- You'll have to connect your iPhone to the internet (WIFI) or cellular data to "call home" and receive that unlock message.
- 3rd party websites basically have "sources" who have access to said database or access to submit a request to said database (people who work for carriers and are willing to risk their jobs for a few bucks to request the unlock).

Non-Apple Unlocking
All phones are sold to the carrier with their respective unlock codes by the manufacturer.
When you go to a 3rd party website, a "source" simply looks up the code for the IMEI from the carrier's internal database. ($15ish)

Motorola, LG, HTC, Alcatel, ZTE
There are "sources" who have either fitured out the algorithm used for the unlock codes of these phones OR have direct access to the manufacturer's database of unlock codes, hence they're selling it cheaper.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
10369 posts
1858 upvotes
VANCOUVER
audit13 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 6:58 pm
I have also had good experiences with mobifree. I purchased an unlock for a Rogers iPhone and got the unlock confirmation in less than 24 hours.
I also have had good experience with mobifree. He's unlocked 3 phones for me so far. Got the codes for 2 of them really really quick. The code for the Huawei Mate 2 took a little longer , but I was kept updated. His prices are competitive with anything on eBay. And the guy's a long-time RFD member. Yeah, so what's not to like?!
Nov 29, 2013
70 posts
31 upvotes
Rogido wrote:
Mar 24th, 2017 3:02 am
The code for the Huawei Mate 2
Wait, when did we ever get Mate phones in Canada? That sounds like something really interesting.
Please give me a thumbs up if my answer helps!
Sell me your old phones! I like to tinker!

Current Phones: Samsung Galaxy S5, Motorola G 3rd Gen, Huawei P9+
Current Plan: 8GB Koodo Promo Plan for $56
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
10369 posts
1858 upvotes
VANCOUVER
crayonhead wrote:
Mar 24th, 2017 3:29 am
Wait, when did we ever get Mate phones in Canada? That sounds like something really interesting.
I got mine from one of those Windmobile Lightly Loved phone sales.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2003
1162 posts
46 upvotes
Vancouver
Been over 24 hours since my order for an unlock code from Mobifree.net. tried contacting them multiple ways and no replies. Is there anyway to get my money back? Is it too early to out a dispute in for paypal?

Are they usually this slow?
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2474 posts
578 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Ryu69 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2017 8:43 pm
Been over 24 hours since my order for an unlock code from Mobifree.net. tried contacting them multiple ways and no replies. Is there anyway to get my money back? Is it too early to out a dispute in for paypal?

Hey,

I have not disappeared with your money.

I'm dealing 3 issues that have come to head. (1. new job. 2. closing on a new home and 3. my regular source seems to have take the past couple of days off without notifying me. I'm forced to deal with 2ndary sources causing delays with order and a huge backlog of emails and messages).

I'm just waiting on my other sources to send me the various codes.
Nov 4, 2015
30 posts
9 upvotes
Halifax
I just ordered another code from Mobifree, this is my 3rd one from them and its always been quick and a good price!
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
2454 posts
455 upvotes
Quebec
Ryu69 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2017 8:43 pm

Are you out of your mind? more than 24h, but less than 48h...and you want to dispute?? wtf is wrong with you? omg...seriously?
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2003
1162 posts
46 upvotes
Vancouver
mobifree wrote:
Apr 14th, 2017 10:39 pm
Hey,

I have not disappeared with your money.

I'm dealing 3 issues that have come to head. (1. new job. 2. closing on a new home and 3. my regular source seems to have take the past couple of days off without notifying me. I'm forced to deal with 2ndary sources causing delays with order and a huge backlog of emails and messages).

I'm just waiting on my other sources to send me the various codes.

It is all good. At the end we were able to sort everything out and got the code. Will recommend mobifree to anyone and will use again.

Thanks for your professionalism.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2003
1162 posts
46 upvotes
Vancouver
HyperTech wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 8:57 pm
Are you out of your mind? more than 24h, but less than 48h...and you want to dispute?? wtf is wrong with you? omg...seriously?
Usually when I unlock phones it is very quick, plus mobifree took some time to get back to me. After talking with him and seeing what the issue was and other stuff in his life he had to do, I totally understand the delay.
Dec 18, 2013
160 posts
32 upvotes
Vancouver
HyperTech wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 8:57 pm
What is an acceptable amount of waiting before one can start to get upset? I put my order in on April 13th, today is April 19 - that's 6 days by my math. Omg should I give it another week?

More importantly I guess: if one unlocking service doesn't work, is it worth trying a different one or are they generally all the same and I should just bite the bullet and go to Rogers and pay the ridiculous $50?
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
2454 posts
455 upvotes
Quebec
well, i understand that people are really impatient to unlock their phone. according to the agreement, some say 24h, others 48h, other 3 days...

i have unlocked 4 phones in my life, 2 of them were lightning fast(less than 3 hours), event i expected it to take 2+ days. at the third one i was little bit worried it take more than 15h, but still it was supposed to take 24h-48h. after 24h i just send an email to the unlocker then he told me to check in my junk mail. it was there since 15h after i request my unlock code.

last one, my s7 edge just unlocked today, took more than 48h, around 53h to process. but it was stipulate in the agreement. so im not worry.

but your case...wow..6 full days? must be special phone or something, did you find out if they still working on it or going to issue you a refund because they cant unlock it?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

El-Producto