Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 15, 2008
12 posts
1 upvote
brampton

Best SLR camera for a beginner photographer

I want to buy my daughter who is in the Graphic design program at Sheridan an SLR camera, but don't know anything about the new digital cameras. Can someone give me advice and suggestions please???? My budget is about $1000, and I want something that will last and it should have some "cool" features, ie. special lens, etc.
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8283 posts
4002 upvotes
"special lens" will vary based on what you daughter will be using the camera for. When it comes to DSLR's, lenses vary quite a bit, many to choose from, and for some, you will need a line of credit :D

For that budget, you can pick up a Canon XSi/Nikon D3000 with an extra lens.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2004
2778 posts
116 upvotes
Sudbury
Might be best to post this question in the Photography section.
"What an emotionally wrecking of the stomach game"
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6069 posts
815 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Indeed post in Photography forum for best answers.

My 2 cents is that buy a cheap DSLR kit for now and upgrade as you go along. As a beginner buying the more advanced body/lens is a waste of money. Even the cheapest body (Canon XS or Nikon D60 for example) will produce great pictures. Once you learn the basics then upgrade to the better lens/body and sell/trade-in the old ones.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Sep 21, 2009
50 posts
Canada
Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Sony (in no particular order) will be just fine. The camera has so little to with it. Don't waste your time comparing, any modern DSLR will work great.

The lens is much more important than the body.