• Last Updated:
  • Mar 24th, 2014 2:49 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 5, 2005
379 posts
33 upvotes
Oakville
Thanks everyone, looks like I'm going to dive in with Nexus 5. It say $349 on googleplay. Does anyone know shipping and if any further discount codes are available?
Deal Addict
May 14, 2012
2585 posts
313 upvotes
Ontario
twoods wrote: Thanks everyone, looks like I'm going to dive in with Nexus 5. It say $349 on googleplay. Does anyone know shipping and if any further discount codes are available?
Why not buy in store?
Dec 5, 2005
379 posts
33 upvotes
Oakville
I didn't realize you can get in store for $349 on no contract. Which store?
Jan 8, 2009
937 posts
656 upvotes
Simcoe County
twoods wrote: Thanks everyone, looks like I'm going to dive in with Nexus 5. It say $349 on googleplay. Does anyone know shipping and if any further discount codes are available?
If you're in Ontario, it comes to $411.36 with shipping and taxes - no promos available.

I ordered mine late Jan 8 and it's set to be here tomorrow night.
Dec 5, 2005
379 posts
33 upvotes
Oakville
Hi everyone - it's been a couple of months. Would you still say the Nexus 5 is still the best buy without a contract for $349 plus shipping and tax at this point. Any point waiting for anything else?
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2012
3095 posts
1332 upvotes
West
The HTC Desire 601 is the best buy hands down right now for around $90 plus tax. Has expandable memory and LTE. koodo-htc-desire-601-150-100-gc-tms-1454333/
Moto G is ok but only 8GB and no LTE is a downer for most.
Not sure the NEXUS 5 is enough of a step-up to justify the extra $300 (I can think of a few nice things I'd buy with an extra $300 in my pocket)
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15536 posts
5790 upvotes
If OP can find a US moto G, then it be sweet. Can use for all the networks.

If not, he can op for Nexus 4 Nexus 5 Iphones. All unlocked.

No point buying BBs and other brand phones when factory unlock is no existent and need to unlock it yourself.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2012
3095 posts
1332 upvotes
West
spike1128 wrote: If OP can find a US moto G, then it be sweet. Can use for all the networks.

If not, he can op for Nexus 4 Nexus 5 Iphones. All unlocked.

No point buying BBs and other brand phones when factory unlock is no existent and need to unlock it yourself.
Don't listen to this, most non-iPhone phones locked to carriers can be unlocked very cheaply. Easy to look into what it costs to unlock a specific phone, eBay will give you a general idea.
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15536 posts
5790 upvotes
WhatsTheRush wrote: Don't listen to this, most non-iPhone phones locked to carriers can be unlocked very cheaply. Easy to look into what it costs to unlock a specific phone, eBay will give you a general idea.
It all depend. If the OP must go BB, then yes he need to unlock.

Not sure anyone would bother to buy a phone that can only use on the Big3 network, when he can get a Pentaband phone. Nexus is best Android phone, pure Android. Iphone if he wants iOS. Well if he wants windows or BB, then he has no choice but to buy those.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2012
3095 posts
1332 upvotes
West
spike1128 wrote: It all depend. If the OP must go BB, then yes he need to unlock.

Not sure anyone would bother to buy a phone that can only use on the Big3 network, when he can get a Pentaband phone. Nexus is best Android phone, pure Android. Iphone if he wants iOS. Well if he wants windows or BB, then he has no choice but to buy those.
Seems pretty captain obvious-ey: iPhone if he wants iOS, if wants windows or bb then he has to buy those... what was the point of your post?
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
Eventually your costs will go up, so I appreciate the OP sentiment to hang on for dear life on his teacher salary. :twisted:
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2010
2635 posts
161 upvotes
Since you call and text, and need email over wifi, your choices are:

- Nokia Lumia 521 (can be had for sub $100 -$120 if you shop around)

- Motorola Moto G (can be had for $150-200)

- LG/Google Nexus 5 ($350-450)

- Motorola Moto X ($350-400)

The cheapest in this list will cover all your basic needs and also comes with data free here maps app for navigation etc, and the rest have more options like bigger appstores, handsfree operation etc. Decide what you need and how much you want to spend and buy that.

If it was me, i would buy the Moto G. Fast despite being cheap, good screen res (720p!!), and a whole bunch of apps and games for time wasting in lines etc. I even think about replacing my GS4 with it sometimes lol.
Owner of hunks of metal, silicon, glass, plastic with 1s and 0s and some electrons powering them.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)