• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2017 2:37 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 4, 2013
167 posts
131 upvotes

Best socks

I want to buy like 18-24 pairs of identical socks and just not think about it for a few years.

I have dress socks for when needed so I'm looking for a good quality durable sock for everyday/athletic use that is sold in identical colours without left/right distinctions. I just want to buy them in bulk and throw one one out when it gets a hole and just carry on with my life. Life is too short to worry about socks.

No polyester. I heard somewhere wool socks prevent foot odour but I'm not sure if that's the case.

Long white socks seem really old man style to me so none of that either.

Any recommendations?
12 replies
Dec 28, 2010
234 posts
74 upvotes
I heard Mark's has clearance, I buy my socks there every year and I find them of very good quality. I bought 12 pair the other day.
Actions speak louder than words
Feb 10, 2010
712 posts
187 upvotes
Ajax, ON
Wool is the way to go, but not just any brand as a lot of them peel like crazy even if you wash them by hand and dont use the drier.

I am an avid backpacker and hiker and only use wool even for everyday use. If you want good quality look for brands like:

* Darn Tough
* Smartwool
* Wigwam
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6981 posts
400 upvotes
ToDealHunter wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 8:47 am
Wool is the way to go, but not just any brand as a lot of them peel like crazy even if you wash them by hand and dont use the drier.

I am an avid backpacker and hiker and only use wool even for everyday use. If you want good quality look for brands like:

* Darn Tough
* Smartwool
* Wigwam
How are wool socks washed? Can you machine wash and tumble dry?
Feb 10, 2010
712 posts
187 upvotes
Ajax, ON
With the brands I mention above I just wash them normal cycle and dry on gentle mode always INSIDE OUT.

But with some other brands like the bundle from Costco you need to be more careful and hand wash them and hang to dry if not they will peel like crazy.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10820 posts
1463 upvotes
City of Vancouver
lovespeanutbutter wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 8:21 am
I want to buy like 18-24 pairs of identical socks and just not think about it for a few years.

I have dress socks for when needed so I'm looking for a good quality durable sock for everyday/athletic use that is sold in identical colours without left/right distinctions. I just want to buy them in bulk and throw one one out when it gets a hole and just carry on with my life. Life is too short to worry about socks.

No polyester. I heard somewhere wool socks prevent foot odour but I'm not sure if that's the case.

Long white socks seem really old man style to me so none of that either.

Any recommendations?
ToDealHunter wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 8:47 am

* Darn Tough
* Smartwool
* Wigwam
MEC carries a variety of Smartwool socks: https://www.mec.ca/en/brand/smartwool/g ... wool+socks
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2060 posts
100 upvotes
I get my low cut socks from Walmart Neutral Face

I buy it in a pack as they're expendable and cheap (for home wear).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6981 posts
400 upvotes
ToDealHunter wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 12:17 pm
With the brands I mention above I just wash them normal cycle and dry on gentle mode always INSIDE OUT.

But with some other brands like the bundle from Costco you need to be more careful and hand wash them and hang to dry if not they will peel like crazy.
Thanks. Why inside out? Is it similar to like those dry fit shirts? I read they should always be washed inside out. Never knew until it may be too late for my shirts.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10820 posts
1463 upvotes
City of Vancouver
There have been other sock threads. I don't have a Costco membership, but I recall RFDers advising that Costco sells non-dress socks that r made with wool and are quite affordable. Smartwool is expensive.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4360 posts
206 upvotes
I'm not impressed with my Smartwool socks lately. They used to last me at least a couple years and now the soles seem to wear through in less than a year. I recently bought a pair of Darn Tough socks because they are apparently guaranteed for life.

If you are kneeing in merino wool socks, you don't need 18-24 pairs IMO. Besides the fact that they're expensive, they don't need to be washed after just one wear, so you don't need that many pairs on hand. For example, if I travel for a month, I'll bring maybe three pairs of socks. For my merino wool gym socks, I wash them maybe once every 3-4 weeks. They seriously don't stink.