Travel

Best spot to watch the Sydney NYE fireworks?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2006 2:24 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
67 upvotes

Best spot to watch the Sydney NYE fireworks?

Going to be in Sydney, Australia over the Christmas holidays and NYE. Where is the best spot to see the NYE fireworks? So far I've been advised to go Mrs. Macquarie's point, but you'd have to start camping out at 10 in the morning.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
2700 posts
1 upvote
Markham, ON
From what I've heard from everyone else, I would suggest, standing under the harbour bridge for NYE. It some "something" point....forgot the name. I'd definately stand right under the harbour bridge just to the left or right of it. those fireworks are the best fireworks i've seen to date. Enjoy Australia :D

forget camping out. they've got two sets of fireworks, there are some around 9~930pm (Dec. 31st) then the NY fireworks at 12am (Jan. 1st). I don't remember Macquarie's point, but yea, definately under the harbour bridge, people camp out but you can always just walk-in and stand in 'front' of 'em :D
"Materialism will inevitably produce the kind of society where people know the price of everything, but the value of nothing; where people have a great deal to live on, but very little to live for..." - anon.
Items for sale
Waterloo Engineering Textbooks
Dec 2, 2004
927 posts
HighFlyer wrote:Going to be in Sydney, Australia over the Christmas holidays and NYE. Where is the best spot to see the NYE fireworks? So far I've been advised to go Mrs. Macquarie's point, but you'd have to start camping out at 10 in the morning.
Anywhere in Botanical Gardens along shore line. Lady Macquarie's Chair is higher up in Botanical gardens. I'd go for a walk in the Gardens before hand and see which is best vantage point.

I'd look for a boat cruise and watch in comfort on the water sipping champers or drinking Toohey's Old (beear, mate).

You don't want to be under the bridge because most of the action is along the span of the bridge, so you ain't gonna see much.
Dec 2, 2004
927 posts
rayesyn wrote:From what I've heard from everyone else, I would suggest, standing under the harbour bridge for NYE. It some "something" point....forgot the name. I'd definately stand right under the harbour bridge just to the left or right of it. those fireworks are the best fireworks i've seen to date. Enjoy Australia :D
Milson's Point, maybe? That's on north side of bridge, near Luna Park.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
2700 posts
1 upvote
Markham, ON
yes, thats it....thanks. I forgot. :)
Kai Viti wrote:Milson's Point, maybe? That's on north side of bridge, near Luna Park.
"Materialism will inevitably produce the kind of society where people know the price of everything, but the value of nothing; where people have a great deal to live on, but very little to live for..." - anon.
Items for sale
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
2700 posts
1 upvote
Markham, ON
the reason i suggested that, is because it'd feel as though you were setting off the fireworks, they fly up right 'above' you :) it was awesome.
Kai Viti wrote: You don't want to be under the bridge because most of the action is along the span of the bridge, so you ain't gonna see much.
Items for sale
Dec 2, 2004
927 posts
rayesyn wrote:the reason i suggested that, is because it'd feel as though you were setting off the fireworks, they fly up right 'above' you :) it was awesome.
That would be awesome. There's a nice restaurant at bottom of Milson's Point. Wonder if they have seats that have a view of the bridge?
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
67 upvotes
How's the view from the Sydney Opera House? I have the option of buying a ticket to the NYE performance, followed by the fireworks. I don't mind paying a bit in order to avoid wasting a day camping out for a spot.
Dec 2, 2004
927 posts
HighFlyer wrote:How's the view from the Sydney Opera House? I have the option of buying a ticket to the NYE performance, followed by the fireworks. I don't mind paying a bit in order to avoid wasting a day camping out for a spot.
View from Opera House should be pretty good as that's the closest point to Harbour Bridge on Botanical Gardens side (east side). Is the NYE performance indoors or outside? If it's indoor, you'll most likely be fighting the crowds outside the Opera House when you come out.

I'm envious. Have fun.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
2700 posts
1 upvote
Markham, ON
me 2. I wish i could be there again. it was amazing. i'm still pushing for Milson's point, next to Luna Park, thats the best spot :)
Kai Viti wrote: I'm envious. Have fun.
Items for sale
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
67 upvotes
Thanks for the replies. I've looked more into this, and it appears there are reports that visitors with families usually leave after the first set at 9PM. Then they allow more people into the Macquarie's area (one of the prime spots). Is this a feasible option? My other 2 options are the Sydney Opera House (performance inside) for $160AUD, or a harbour cruise with dinner for $350AUD.
Dec 2, 2004
927 posts
IMHO, if you can afford it, a dinner cruise would be the way to go. You get to see the beautiful harbour & suburbs and have a good view of the fireworks. There's less boats to battle than people! (Make sure your boat is bigger! :lol: )
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
2700 posts
1 upvote
Markham, ON
the boat ride idea sounds SICCCKKKK!!! do that!!!
Items for sale
Dec 2, 2004
927 posts
My brother just got exclusive tickets to watch the NY's fireworks display from the Cahill Expressway. Those who are no familiar, parts of the Cahill Exp'way overlooks Circular Quay (Opera House & Harbour Bridge), so this is prime location to see the fireworks.

Wish I was back home. :(
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1326 upvotes
Sauga
So how were they close up?? :)

Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
67 upvotes
I took the dinner cruise. We were parked near the north side, halfway between Milson's point and Taronga zoo for the 9PM fireworks. Afterwards, we cruised the Sydney harbour until the actual NYE ones. We were parked in between Macquarie's point and Taronga for that one. All-in-all, an ok cruise, but the fireworks display was outstanding.