• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2010 4:02 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 26, 2009
191 posts
6 upvotes

best (store bought) dog treats?

ok so with the great threads on dog foods, i started to wonder about treats which are available in the store.

my puppy is on orijen large breed puppy food, he gets raw bones, and for treats we stick to pure bites...switching between the liver and white fish. it does get pretty expensive, and i see a lot of less costly bags available but when i compare them to the purebites, but i just end up leaving them on the shelf. i know homemade is a great choice, which we've tried, but sometimes it's just more convenient to buy a bag in the store.

are they're other really good alternatives available (grain free bc of possible allergies - we're working with our vet to figure it out)?

what do you give your dog?

thanks
13 replies
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4042 posts
142 upvotes
So far I've tried the Fromm dry cookies and just bought a bag of Natural Balance dry treats yesterday. Before that I used to feed him crappier treats like Milk Bones but I've since comitted to feeding my dog better food and treats since I've educated myself a bit on the matter.

The only treat I've tried making at home is dried sweet potato slices. Dog loves them. I'm not a baker so couldn't be bothered making homemade cookies. The healthy store bought cookies are expensive but worth it since I don't like to bake.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6773 posts
270 upvotes
Ottawa
I try to be as healthy as possible so I give my dog a baby carrot every so often as a treat and he also gets bullwrinkles. I like them cause they are great chews AND it keeps him busy for a few hours sometimes with the bullwrinkles or a few minutes with the carrot . I try to give him very healthy treats vs the lower quality stuff. I might try some home made treats like dried fruits/veggies but I'm just too lazy right now to make them.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
2671 posts
396 upvotes
Aurora, ON
Whenever I'm in my local Global picking out cookies I usually take a few minutes and read the ingredients on some of the more 'gourmet' brands. My thinking is, if they cost more then they probably contain better ingredients - and with two 15lb dogs, a bag lasts for months (I keep in the fridge).
I always end up bringing home the Darford Holistic grain free biscuits....and my two dogs just love em :)

Usually the Tater treats with salmon look the most appetizing :)
Ingredients: Potatoes, Dried Alfalfa, Canola Oil (preserved naturally with mixed Tocopherols and Lecithin), Blackstrap Molasses, Wild Alaskan Salmon, Sweet Potatoes*, Carrots*, Green Peas*, Apples*, Blueberry Pomace*, Cranberry Pomace*, Tumeric, Fresh Garlic, Yucca Schidigera, Red Iron Oxide, Rosemary Extract. *Certified Organic
Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein Not Less Than 6.00% Crude Fat Not Less Than 5.00% Crude Fiber Not More Than 7.00% Moisture Not More Than 10.00% KCalories (per 3.8 gm biscuit) approx 13
Deal Addict
May 17, 2006
1506 posts
68 upvotes
Crumps baked beef liver. I have the liver sprinkle as well to add a little kick to my boy's meal once in a while.

http://www.crumps.ca/

You can get it at Global.
A great salesman sells to himself - Confucius, no, I mean xvizardx LINK
xvizardx wrote:
Dec 20th, 2010 4:22 am
...A sales person named John (who is a great sales person by the way)...I could not resist the price, so I bought it in a heart beat...
xvizardx wrote:
Dec 20th, 2010 4:22 am
Hello everyone! I am an employee of Sony Canada...I will be at the Sony Store in Square One...look for John...
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1655 posts
54 upvotes
Mississauga
barrist wrote:
Jul 27th, 2010 2:54 pm
just plain 100% freeze dried liver bits. no additives or anything.
Same here. Also do freeze dried chicken breast.

She goes nuts for the liver :)
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
2671 posts
396 upvotes
Aurora, ON
I've never seen the crumps ...are they in the freezer section? What's size like? I would need small pieces for my dogs...
How/where do you store them?
[OP]
Oct 26, 2009
191 posts
6 upvotes
i picked up a bag of the crumps liver (not the garlic one, just plain liver) tonight. the bag was $9.99 but it weighs a bit more than the $9.99 bag of pure bites liver.

jackie999, they're in a clear bag with a white label. they're in the same area as the other treats.

i also gave those tater-treats a try a while back.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
3888 posts
750 upvotes
lefty09 wrote:
Jul 25th, 2010 8:40 am
ok so with the great threads on dog foods, i started to wonder about treats which are available in the store.

my puppy is on orijen large breed puppy food, he gets raw bones, and for treats we stick to pure bites...switching between the liver and white fish. it does get pretty expensive, and i see a lot of less costly bags available but when i compare them to the purebites, but i just end up leaving them on the shelf. i know homemade is a great choice, which we've tried, but sometimes it's just more convenient to buy a bag in the store.

are they're other really good alternatives available (grain free bc of possible allergies - we're working with our vet to figure it out)?

what do you give your dog?

thanks
We buy the Purebites chicken and cheezies.

We also get bulk carrots, cut them up and freeze them. We also buy the freeze dried sweet potato chips too.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2004
2041 posts
14 upvotes
jackie999 wrote:
Jul 27th, 2010 5:26 pm
I've never seen the crumps ...are they in the freezer section? What's size like? I would need small pieces for my dogs...
they're just baked,dried. so i think they can be stored anywhere really. they're quite large but can easily be broken into smaller pieces.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4042 posts
142 upvotes
jackie999 wrote:
Jul 27th, 2010 5:26 pm
At Global they are on the wall with oall the other treats hanging in bags. You can manually break them up into smaller pieces. I've even seen these sold at Winners/Home Sense in my area.
× < >