Food & Drink

Best store bought roterissie chicken?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2017 9:58 pm
Dec 31, 2007
339 posts
45 upvotes
i tried walmart, highland farms, metro and costco. i found that costco was the best because the chicken were the largest, was not dried out and was still relatively hot.

the other stores i found had smaller chicken, sat under the lamps too long and were dried out. costco chicken have such a high turnover that they don't sit out too long before they're scooped up. they almost always get sold out within an hour or two, so when you do see them available, you know they've only been sitting out for about an hour.

and the price is only 6.99. how can you beat that for a quick meal? just make sure you have some bbq dipping sauce in.
Oct 11, 2006
125 posts
13 upvotes
My family has tried a lot of rotisserie chicken and Sobey's is the best so far!!!
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2007
1593 posts
66 upvotes
another costco fan here..especially from the warden/ellesmere location!
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1272 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto
+1 on Costco. We buy their chicken almost weekly.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
555 upvotes
Loblaws

Costco I find wayy too salty and a bit undercooked (not raw or even bad, but could use a bit more time to crisp outside a bit)
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2009
2689 posts
109 upvotes
Just don't get it at Fortino's, it sucks :(
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14539 posts
1094 upvotes
Toronto
Metro's herb is skinless so if you guys like chewing on a leather boot, be my guest.

I've only tried the ones from Metro and Price Chopper.. not much difference.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2007
1713 posts
177 upvotes
NeverNeverLand
+1 Costco
A little salty but still very good.
“My generation? We drink because it’s good. Because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar. Because we deserve it. We drink because it’s what men do.”
Roger Sterling

"I'm so gifted at findin' what I don't like the most" Kanye West

"oh kwa tan zin wan" Riley Martin
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11478 posts
1113 upvotes
Kanata
Costco here. Tried Independent Grocer, Metro, Sobeys, Farm Boy and RCSS. Farm Boy is second for us.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2006
4436 posts
150 upvotes
Costco also for me. The best price for how big the chicken is though agree it leans toward the salty side. Longo's herb and whatever chicken is also not bad but much better when you can get it cheaper on Wednesdays (well at least for the same price as Costco usually sells for).
Feb 23, 2010
238 posts
31 upvotes
I would not buy from Costco anymore! Too salty! One time we couldn't even eat it and had to throw it out. I did complain to the store manager and got my money back.

I have bought whole chickens from Highland Farms and Price Chopper before and they were okay!
Aug 1, 2005
793 posts
62 upvotes
Never tried Costco's.

Metro (Mammoth): my favourite. Well seasoned, moist.
Sobey's: too salty, but moist.
Longos: meaty and moist, but kind of bland.
Loblaws: slightly blander than Longos, and surprisingly dry. NOT President's Choice quality.
Rabba: smallest bird, most thoroughly cooked, probably from sitting in the heat tray for a long time. Seasoning is excellent though the meat is noticeably dry. I haven't bought one since they raised the prices - and I read about what they do to the prepared foods (bleaching the chicken!!!). Though it probably happens at all of the places, not just Rabba.
Nov 4, 2007
183 posts
4 upvotes
Holland Landing
We always have Superstore's...I find Costco's very salty and Metro's is just horrible..
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2007
1131 posts
86 upvotes
Costco. Large, juicy, cheap....just don't try to flip it over to scan at the self check out! haha