• Apr 26th, 2017 9:58 pm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5010 posts
533 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
iam_immigrant wrote:
Mar 16th, 2011 5:15 pm
Has anyone ever noticed that the chicken at Costco is always moist? I've had chicken from Loblaws many times and the breast meat is almost always dry, even more so if I have it for leftovers. But not so with the chicken from Costco even the next day the breast meat is moist like it just came out of the cooker.

I'm starting to think that it's some sort of hormone/chemical they pump into the chickens (Food Inc movie...). And their chickens are ginormous compared to Loblaws.

It's just brine. This was established on a previous thread.

Pete: there are very few actual rotisseries left, and they are mostly in the smaller grocery stores.
The busy places are all using a convection oven with steam bursts for their chickens, which are stationary on trays.
These new ovens are more efficient; larger output, faster cook times, and easier clean up.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
979 upvotes
N/A
trellaine201 wrote:
Mar 16th, 2011 6:51 pm
Whole paycheck has great chickens, err Whoefoods :) not sure if they are back east but they are here in the west.

that's funny.
the first time i went, i simply couldn't believe the prices, and people were leaving the store with full cart amount of food.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
7417 posts
331 upvotes
Vancouver
ippon wrote:
Mar 16th, 2011 7:57 pm
that's funny.
the first time i went, i simply couldn't believe the prices, and people were leaving the store with full cart amount of food.

Yah pretty crazy the amount of money people have lol when theres safeway/no thrills and save on nearby. :) but I do go there probably once a week. I couldn't afford to go more lol but their baked goods and deli items are very good but once again pricey!

I leave spending about $25 on a few items I can't imagine a whole cart!! And i know they don't frequen rfd. :razz:
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16648 posts
1674 upvotes
GTA West
Costco FTW!

Actually, I was at Sam's Club in the USA and they were cooking their chickens on a real rotisserie and selling for $4.99 each! :-0
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2005
1928 posts
16 upvotes
Scarborough
Was at Superstore today, picked up 2 bbq ones; was sure they looked smaller, the box says 900g. I'm sure they were 1kg or more before? Anyone remember? The price hasn't dropped.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
701 upvotes
How does the Apple Wood 1kg chicken for $9.99 from Metro compare against the competition?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4630 upvotes
Maybe I'm a snob (yeah there's no maybe about it) but I haven't met a rotisserie chicken that HASN'T been dry.
The exception is maybe Costco but I'm fairly certain they're phosphate birds. It certainly didn't taste like a regular brine.

Nowadays I just brine my own chicken and rotisserie it.
5 minutes of prep and 52 minutes of cooking produces a perfect bird.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10465 posts
1332 upvotes
Toronto
dealxtremeleecher wrote:
Apr 16th, 2017 11:25 pm
Bump.

Any change in opinions over the years?
Very good question.
A Longo's recently opened up not too far from my home, so I have more choice now.
Their chicken is not bad...but then again, I only go there for the $8.99 special.
Last edited by playnicee1 on Apr 16th, 2017 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
18602 posts
2104 upvotes
Poormond Hill
dealxtremeleecher wrote:
Apr 16th, 2017 11:25 pm
Bump.

Any change in opinions over the years?
Metro. Overcooked
Wal Mart. Dry.
Loblaw. Good
Costco. Better.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
3673 posts
683 upvotes
Sask.
Sobeys - always juicy, not dry - yummy.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
2781 posts
908 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
natalka wrote: