• Last Updated:
  • Sep 28th, 2010 10:03 pm
Tags:
None
May 15, 2004
292 posts
GTA

Best store to buy produce from?

I'm starting to get into juicing and I'll eventually be buying a lot of produce. Just wondering what stores sell the cheapest produce?
Right now, I just buy from the Walmart produce section, but if there's a better place, please let me know.
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
foody mart has the cheapest produce i know.

i've read that juicing isn't as healthy as it's all cracked up to be though.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
[OP]
May 15, 2004
292 posts
GTA
ippon wrote:
Sep 27th, 2010 8:10 am
foody mart has the cheapest produce i know.

i've read that juicing isn't as healthy as it's all cracked up to be though.

What do you mean? How so?
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2491 posts
210 upvotes
computerguy wrote:
Sep 27th, 2010 8:40 am
What do you mean? How so?

More concentrated sugar (fructose), almost no dietary fibre... which means you'll stay hungry and not feel as full.

Also there are concerns about less calories resulting in reduced metabolism over time (and reduced lean muscle mass) which means when you finish the diet, you'll put any lost weight right back on, assuming you don't permanently adjust your lifestyle.

If you're just doing it to be healthy or to cleanse, consider eating a cheeseburger. Lots of iron and essential minerals in there. SKip the fries and soda.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10040 posts
104 upvotes
I don't think you can pick a particular store. You just need a place that has regular deliveries and has high turnover.

Also, some appearances are deceiving. For example, the RCSS near me has wilted-looking lettuce compared to the Metro lettuce that is spritzed up often, but the fridge life of the RCSS one is a lot longer after I've soaked, rinsed and bagged it because the constant moisture accelerates the deterioration, even though it might look nicer in the store.

Also consider that, although it doesn't work for all needs (such as things you will eat raw), in many cases frozen vegetables are fresher than fresh because they're blanched and frozen very soon after they're picked. So, frozen broccoli might be better than fresh if you're going to cook it. Anything that withstands freezing well is probably better frozen.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4246 posts
221 upvotes
Toronto
mbg wrote:
Sep 27th, 2010 11:06 am
I don't think you can pick a particular store. You just need a place that has regular deliveries and has high turnover.
+1 Store banners wont matter, YMMV when it comes to produce.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
3385 posts
135 upvotes
Anything but Metro; long-line ups and prices that are quite often higher than Whole Foods yet without their selection makes no sense. ~$4 for a conventional green pepper can get very expensive, very quickly.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
5976 posts
1160 upvotes
Scarborough
0xffff wrote:
Sep 27th, 2010 8:51 am
More concentrated sugar (fructose), almost no dietary fibre... which means you'll stay hungry and not feel as full.

Also there are concerns about less calories resulting in reduced metabolism over time (and reduced lean muscle mass) which means when you finish the diet, you'll put any lost weight right back on, assuming you don't permanently adjust your lifestyle.

If you're just doing it to be healthy or to cleanse, consider eating a cheeseburger. Lots of iron and essential minerals in there. SKip the fries and soda.

Cheeseburger as part of a cleanse? That's a first for me :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
6002 posts
133 upvotes
The few times of been, I've noticed Costco's produce are better than average.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17604 posts
737 upvotes
Brampton
I've been *extremely* disappointed with Sobey's produce lately. Metro is another of my least favorites.

Fortino's is generally great, if you have one nearby. As is Highland Farms.

Both of those command a premium price though.
come troll our unofficial chatroom at #redflagdeals on EFnet
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2005
1928 posts
15 upvotes
Scarborough
I find a lot of stores like Food Basics, NoFrills, T&T, Asian supermarkets have fresh produce on Thursday evenings. By Mon/Tues/Wed this is all wilted and customers have picked all the best items.
Mar 22, 2010
372 posts
7 upvotes
Longos Hands Down ! you can shop Blind in their stores ! :)
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17604 posts
737 upvotes
Brampton
Keelenorth wrote:
Sep 27th, 2010 4:32 pm
Longos Hands Down ! you can shop Blind in their stores ! :)

Longo's is a good one, I agree
come troll our unofficial chatroom at #redflagdeals on EFnet
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
5845 posts
431 upvotes
Do you really need the best produce for juicing though? I was thinking stores that have the shelf of expired fruit on the shelf at the back of the store would be cheapest but won't always have what you need or salvageable non rotten stuff. Supermarkets usually have the local "seconds" apples in 10lb bags now for cheap.

Someone said in another thread you could buy from the food terminal directly at wholesale prices by paying a $5 fee.

Maybe contact one of those Fruit wholesalers like those Eyetalian guys with the big white trucks that deliver fruits to places like edible arrangements. A.J.Lanzarotta I think.

Flea markets,Asian stores and off course China town.
Mar 22, 2010
372 posts
7 upvotes
gh05t wrote:
Sep 27th, 2010 5:09 pm
Do you really need the best produce for juicing though? I was thinking stores that have the shelf of expired fruit on the shelf at the back of the store would be cheapest but won't always have what you need or salvageable non rotten stuff. Supermarkets usually have the local "seconds" apples in 10lb bags now for cheap.

Someone said in another thread you could buy from the food terminal directly at wholesale prices by paying a $5 fee.

Maybe contact one of those Fruit wholesalers like those Eyetalian guys with the big white trucks that deliver fruits to places like edible arrangements. A.J.Lanzarotta I think.

Flea markets,Asian stores and off course China town.
The Problem with that line of reasoning is you only get out of a juicer the quality you put in !!
× < >