Food & Drink

Best Supermarket Kimchi brand in Toronto?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2022 7:56 pm
Sep 24, 2014
101 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Best Supermarket Kimchi brand in Toronto?

Hey All,

I want to buy a container of kimchi but, with so many choices in the retail space, I'm not sure which one to buy.

Any kimchi connoisseurs here who can suggest the best (or a very good) brand of kimchi to buy and from where?

I'm in Toronto, so we have H-Mart and Galleria Korean supermarkets, and also T&T.

Thanks!
30 replies
May 7, 2008
823 posts
383 upvotes
Toronto
I stock Galleria's house brand Mat Kimchi in my home.

I find it's the most balanced, and keeps getting better with age. Not too sweet or sour or spicy. Work well on its own and for cooking.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Tried kimchi and almost gagged. Are you supposed to beat it with your meal for flavour?
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15618 posts
13276 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Nah, you drink Soju and chow down them KimCheeeee's!!
Supercooled wrote: Tried kimchi and almost gagged. Are you supposed to beat it with your meal for flavour?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Sep 24, 2014
101 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks, Antihero. Another friend of mine recommended that one as well. I'll give it a try.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6228 posts
4829 upvotes
I'm interest too, any more suggestions?
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12614 posts
2318 upvotes
The best we've found isn't supermarket but made by a store in Christie Koreatown. Its called Bloor Meat and Grocery, across from PAT. Its a butchershop but they make their own kimchi. You can buy fresh or older kimchi there. Very nice people.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2050 posts
925 upvotes
HK
On side note, making your own is VERY easy, and will always taste better than the store.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
McKinsey wrote: On side note, making your own is VERY easy, and will always taste better than the store.
there are specialty refrigerators made just for making kimchi
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3849 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
ElectroJay wrote: Hey All,

I want to buy a container of kimchi but, with so many choices in the retail space, I'm not sure which one to buy.

Any kimchi connoisseurs here who can suggest the best (or a very good) brand of kimchi to buy and from where?

I'm in Toronto, so we have H-Mart and Galleria Korean supermarkets, and also T&T.

Thanks!
depends if you prefer fresher or older kimchi. i prefer the fresher stuff so i stick with Galleria or Owl of Minerva brand.
Jan 31, 2018
574 posts
597 upvotes
Kimchi? That's a well known Korean motor oil brand, right?

Seriously though Tobagi sliced cabbage or Mrs. Kim's Napa cabbage both have great balance and rich savory flavours.
Sep 24, 2014
101 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thank you all for your suggestions.
I never knew there was old vs new kimchi. Something for me to consider on my next purchase lol.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2647 posts
846 upvotes
GTA
Tried others I didn't like, back to Chongga brand which I've been buying for many years. Watch out for expiry dates ....
May 7, 2008
823 posts
383 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah kimchi changes as it ages. Typically I prefer it for eating on its own at around 1-2 months.

Some people claim that kimchi never goes bad. Longest I've ever left some was 1.5 years. Good funky taste - loved it. Not patient enough to do it again.
ElectroJay wrote: Thank you all for your suggestions.
I never knew there was old vs new kimchi. Something for me to consider on my next purchase lol.
May 7, 2008
823 posts
383 upvotes
Toronto
Got a good recipe?

I'm not sure I can agree with your claim. I've had many homemade kimchi from various Korean households and I think that some store-bought ones are superior. Like anything, the product will depend on the inputs.

Honestly though I think kimchi is a personal taste much like how everyone has a preference for a wine or beer and don't think you can conclude that one is better than another for all palates.
McKinsey wrote: On side note, making your own is VERY easy, and will always taste better than the store.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
ElectroJay wrote: Thank you all for your suggestions.
Oh there are FAR more variation than just new vs old. There's variations on spice, salt, sour... and even sweet. There are non spicy variety, extra watery, made with radishes like daikon or chonggak, cucumbers (bleh), green onions, various peppers, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
Funny, I heard from a few sources that the best store kimchi is the Rooster brand sold in loblaws and some no frills. Better than the ones sold in t&t ( anyway)... I suppose they should have access to the Rooter brand as well from Loblaw warehouse.

I seen a big display of them at maple leaf gardens.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
1104 posts
372 upvotes
antihero wrote: Got a good recipe?

I'm not sure I can agree with your claim. I've had many homemade kimchi from various Korean households and I think that some store-bought ones are superior. Like anything, the product will depend on the inputs.

Honestly though I think kimchi is a personal taste much like how everyone has a preference for a wine or beer and don't think you can conclude that one is better than another for all palates.

This is from David Chang of Momofuko

Its the bomb

https://kitchen.nine.com.au/2016/05/16/ ... age-kimchi
Deal Addict
May 8, 2004
4100 posts
2736 upvotes
Toronto
I like my kimchi a little sweet, had the Mat Kimchi from Galleria but I want that bit of sweetness. Any recommendations?
Deal Guru
Apr 6, 2005
11683 posts
2907 upvotes
Toronto
Hang Sun is the only one I eat
Heat 43-0-0

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)