Food & Drink

Best Supermarket Kimchi brand in Toronto?

• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2018 9:33 pm
[OP]
Sep 24, 2014
84 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Best Supermarket Kimchi brand in Toronto?

Hey All,

I want to buy a container of kimchi but, with so many choices in the retail space, I'm not sure which one to buy.

Any kimchi connoisseurs here who can suggest the best (or a very good) brand of kimchi to buy and from where?

I'm in Toronto, so we have H-Mart and Galleria Korean supermarkets, and also T&T.

Thanks!
21 replies
May 7, 2008
533 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
I stock Galleria's house brand Mat Kimchi in my home.

I find it's the most balanced, and keeps getting better with age. Not too sweet or sour or spicy. Work well on its own and for cooking.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
15926 posts
1302 upvotes
TOP SECRET SPAGHETTI…
Tried kimchi and almost gagged. Are you supposed to beat it with your meal for flavour?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9025 posts
3493 upvotes
Toronto
Nah, you drink Soju and chow down them KimCheeeee's!!
Supercooled wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 3:18 pm
Tried kimchi and almost gagged. Are you supposed to beat it with your meal for flavour?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Sep 24, 2014
84 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks, Antihero. Another friend of mine recommended that one as well. I'll give it a try.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1477 posts
358 upvotes
I'm interest too, any more suggestions?
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10270 posts
639 upvotes
The best we've found isn't supermarket but made by a store in Christie Koreatown. Its called Bloor Meat and Grocery, across from PAT. Its a butchershop but they make their own kimchi. You can buy fresh or older kimchi there. Very nice people.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1443 posts
502 upvotes
New York City
On side note, making your own is VERY easy, and will always taste better than the store.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4306 posts
630 upvotes
Toronto
McKinsey wrote:
Mar 15th, 2018 10:35 am
On side note, making your own is VERY easy, and will always taste better than the store.
there are specialty refrigerators made just for making kimchi
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): 2 Queen St East or Eaton Centre (or nearby places)
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3380 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
ElectroJay wrote:
Mar 11th, 2018 2:35 pm
Hey All,

I want to buy a container of kimchi but, with so many choices in the retail space, I'm not sure which one to buy.

Any kimchi connoisseurs here who can suggest the best (or a very good) brand of kimchi to buy and from where?

I'm in Toronto, so we have H-Mart and Galleria Korean supermarkets, and also T&T.

Thanks!
depends if you prefer fresher or older kimchi. i prefer the fresher stuff so i stick with Galleria or Owl of Minerva brand.
Jan 31, 2018
252 posts
195 upvotes
Kimchi? That's a well known Korean motor oil brand, right?

Seriously though Tobagi sliced cabbage or Mrs. Kim's Napa cabbage both have great balance and rich savory flavours.
[OP]
Sep 24, 2014
84 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thank you all for your suggestions.
I never knew there was old vs new kimchi. Something for me to consider on my next purchase lol.
Dec 29, 2012
305 posts
40 upvotes
Scarborough
Tried others I didn't like, back to Chongga brand which I've been buying for many years. Watch out for expiry dates ....
May 7, 2008
533 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah kimchi changes as it ages. Typically I prefer it for eating on its own at around 1-2 months.

Some people claim that kimchi never goes bad. Longest I've ever left some was 1.5 years. Good funky taste - loved it. Not patient enough to do it again.
ElectroJay wrote:
Mar 15th, 2018 4:52 pm
Thank you all for your suggestions.
I never knew there was old vs new kimchi. Something for me to consider on my next purchase lol.
May 7, 2008
533 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
Got a good recipe?

I'm not sure I can agree with your claim. I've had many homemade kimchi from various Korean households and I think that some store-bought ones are superior. Like anything, the product will depend on the inputs.

Honestly though I think kimchi is a personal taste much like how everyone has a preference for a wine or beer and don't think you can conclude that one is better than another for all palates.
McKinsey wrote:
Mar 15th, 2018 10:35 am