• Last Updated:
  • Mar 6th, 2017 11:15 am
Tags:
Mar 11, 2004
101 posts
1 upvote
London

Best SUV for 3 kids (car seats)

Hi we are currently in the market for a new SUV and we're wondering what other people with 3 kids in car seats have? Are you able to access the 3rd row with car seats installed?
54 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
Not many have a middle pass-through option, so you're best bet is a minivan.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2013
1174 posts
1556 upvotes
Calgary
Hyundai is selling their sante fe XL for a ridiculous price of 47K.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3799 posts
1991 upvotes
Mississauga
We got an odyssey with two car seats in the middle.. it's a bit of effort but I can tilt the seats with the car seats attached. Now I have Dionos so they are heavy and that is why I said it take a bit of effort.

What are the ages. If older ones are big enough at least they can get into the seats and u just have to buckle up.

You can remove the middle seat in tje second row to get access to the rear. Or if your car seats are slim you can even put all three car seats I'm the middle row. But then that leaves open to kids fighting with each other over toys, food or anything really.

Dont forget with mini vans the sliding doors is a amazong. Dont have to worry about hitting other cars... especially after the fall asleep and you have to put them in or out
Mar 11, 2004
101 posts
1 upvote
London
TLSRULZ wrote: We got an odyssey with two car seats in the middle.. it's a bit of effort but I can tilt the seats with the car seats attached. Now I have Dionos so they are heavy and that is why I said it take a bit of effort.

What are the ages. If older ones are big enough at least they can get into the seats and u just have to buckle up.

You can remove the middle seat in tje second row to get access to the rear. Or if your car seats are slim you can even put all three car seats I'm the middle row. But then that leaves open to kids fighting with each other over toys, food or anything really.

Dont forget with mini vans the sliding doors is a amazong. Dont have to worry about hitting other cars... especially after the fall asleep and you have to put them in or out
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Our boys are 2 and 4 with one on the way. We looked at a 2016 Pilot Touring which has bucket seats in the second row. My concern was how hard it would be to buckle my oldest up in the 3rd row.
May 3, 2016
190 posts
363 upvotes
If you're not afraid of boring CVTs, the Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX60.

The middle row bucket seats can slide/tilt/articulate forward with car seats in place. So passengers can enter the 3rd row without removing the car seat in the 2nd row. Plus, they have one of the biggest 3rd rows in the class.

Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4235 posts
880 upvotes
Ottawa
Go to a dealer and try installing all car seats in it, buckle all kids up while they're wearing winter coats, take it for a test drive. Gives you a good perspective on whether that $40k-50k vehicle is going to be livable for you and your family.

Try the Odyssey too while you're at Honda...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
6150 posts
10800 upvotes
Canada
PerrierWater wrote: If you're not afraid of boring CVTs, the Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX60.

The middle row bucket seats can slide/tilt/articulate forward with car seats in place. So passengers can enter the 3rd row without removing the car seat in the 2nd row. Plus, they have one of the biggest 3rd rows in the class.

Was just about to say, they are great for third row access with car seats and do 3 across the second row with no problems.

2017 has a lot of new perks like certified towing 6000lbs, new direct injection engine and transmission.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3799 posts
1991 upvotes
Mississauga
There is no way you can get a kid into the third row and hold the door to prevent dinging the car with that much of space. You will need to ensure full clearance. Thats where having the sliding doors really pay off.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
6150 posts
10800 upvotes
Canada
TLSRULZ wrote: There is no way you can get a kid into the third row and hold the door to prevent dinging the car with that much of space. You will need to ensure full clearance. Thats where having the sliding doors really pay off.
You don't put a kid in the third row, you put 3 across.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
361 upvotes
Why SUV, are you driving off-road a lot? For kids the best bet is a mini-van
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3799 posts
1991 upvotes
Mississauga
brimen wrote: Thanks for taking the time to reply. Our boys are 2 and 4 with one on the way. We looked at a 2016 Pilot Touring which has bucket seats in the second row. My concern was how hard it would be to buckle my oldest up in the 3rd row.
yes my 4 .5yr old can get into the van and into her car seat and almost buckle up independently... we always watch her and check of course. So with time it should not be too much of an issue.. The 3rd row is 60/40 so if you keep one fold one down you could access the 3rd row from the back to get them buckled up.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3446 posts
2198 upvotes
MacGyver wrote: Go to a dealer and try installing all car seats in it, buckle all kids up while they're wearing winter coats, take it for a test drive. Gives you a good perspective on whether that $40k-50k vehicle is going to be livable for you and your family.

Try the Odyssey too while you're at Honda...
This.

We have 3 kids. They are now 7,5,3. At one point they were all in big seats. We drive the Odyssey. Personally wouldn't give it up for any SUV. Would sell my Tundra crewmax before the Odyssey. I have had the Pilot as a loaner for 1 full day and found it doable but way harder to deal with. Also the space behind the 3rd row in the Pilot is miniscule compared to an Odyssey.
If the minivan is out of the question for sure, I would try and get an SUV with captain seats middle row and put your oldest in the 3rd row.
Jun 1, 2005
158 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto
All my friends bought suv for 2+ kids regret terribly for not getting the van in the first place.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
4290 posts
2082 upvotes
BC
TLSRULZ wrote: There is no way you can get a kid into the third row and hold the door to prevent dinging the car with that much of space. You will need to ensure full clearance. Thats where having the sliding doors really pay off.
as long as you don't ding your own car.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3799 posts
1991 upvotes
Mississauga
Blubbs wrote: You don't put a kid in the third row, you put 3 across.
But OP specifically asked if you could access the third row.

Also I want to meet your kids if you can put three across for any length of time.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3487 posts
3894 upvotes
Montreal
Blubbs wrote: You don't put a kid in the third row, you put 3 across.
Presumably the newborn is on the "outside". So one older child is either climbing over (or you are breaking your back carrying him over) another car seat, with his boots dripping in slush at least 3 months of the year. And all 3 kids are within easy grasping distance of each other (stealing toys, putting whatever object in the other kid's mouth, etc.)

Do yourself, and your back, and your relationship with your wife a favour, get a minivan.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2126 posts
1449 upvotes
Durham
As an owner of a Pathfinder with 2 kids (mostly all SUVs are the same), I agree to go minivan with 3+ kids in seats. Out of seats is no problem. I'm 6"2' and it is not easy to stretch to the 3rd row to get a kid out with the 2nd row forward, especially when that second row seat already has a child seat on it.

I would never trade my SUV for a minivan and my kids are old enough that they can come out independently if the sit in the 3rd row. But to stretch back there to get a child out on your own will be very difficult, even with the door fully open.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)