Best tens/ems machine?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2019 1:38 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 25, 2017
13 posts

Best tens/ems machine?

Looking to purchase a good quality Tens/Ems Combo unit. My budget is $500 since my insurance is covering it. Been doing research online and all I can find are those cheap $50 units which I can't imagine do work to well for that price.. Any recommendations?
18 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
4916 posts
784 upvotes
Montreal
I borrowed this model from a neighbour and it was great.

https://www.amazon.ca/TENS-MACHINE-Comb ... ccessories

The only thing was that the unit required putting gel on the pads as oppose to those that come with sticky pads. In reality, this system makes more sense than the sticky pads but it's obviously less convenient.

After a few months, my neighbour needed his machine back so I bought one of those units similar to the one that Groupon sells for $30. However, I bought one off eBay for $7US. It worked fine but I preferred the first unit.

There is always the Dr Ho machines for $200 but I doubt that it's any better.
Phils
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9791 posts
1238 upvotes
Toronto
I have this one (I think it's this one)

http://www.tensproducts.com/PRODUCTS/Pr ... -Unit.html

Works very well for my needs.

By the way, just because your insurance covers up to $500 doesn't mean a $400-$500 unit will be better than a unit that is substantially cheaper.

My insurance covered the unit I linked above but when I got it it was about $200. So maybe it isn't that exact one but it is the right brand.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
4916 posts
784 upvotes
Montreal
If anecdotal evidence is worth anything, it really helped me.
If it was a placebo effect, it was a pretty good one.
Phils
Dec 14, 2017
189 posts
149 upvotes
Phils wrote:
Apr 28th, 2018 7:56 am
If anecdotal evidence is worth anything, it really helped me.
If it was a placebo effect, it was a pretty good one.
TENS are not placebos.
-source , physiotherapist
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9791 posts
1238 upvotes
Toronto
7865875 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2018 1:18 pm
TENS are not placebos.
-source , physiotherapist
Exactly, I only use mine as needed now, maybe once every 2-3 weeks and it makes one hell of a difference.

Definitely not a placebo effect. Mine was also from a physiotherapist.
Dec 14, 2017
189 posts
149 upvotes
I should also say that while they are not placebos, they are a pain management tool, not a recovery tool.
Aug 3, 2005
298 posts
22 upvotes
Sorry for bumping an old post.

im looking for a tens machine too. Anyone got a recommendation? I need a powerful one, and not the weak Dr Ho ones.

Sunlife covers $700. Does anyone know if they cover online purchases like amazon.ca?
Aug 3, 2005
298 posts
22 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Mar 25th, 2019 4:16 am
I just purchased this unit

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0777J ... UTF8&psc=1
Thanks! This one looks good. I was contemplating on getting that Irelief wireless Bluetooth ones, but wasn't sure how strong it would be compared to these ones. The wireless device is definitely more convenient and better looking but I rather have a stronger device.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1327 posts
433 upvotes
London
Does your coverage include the pads? That is where the money is. It is like buying a Tasimo and not realizing the money is in the pods. I would find a local supplier and see if they could put a package together for you (unit plus 20 sets of pads (or whatever)) and itemize it as one item for insurance reimbursement. I’d also check and see if they will cover the cost of pacs in future years. Also check and see if you need a prescription for dme coverage. Let us know how it goes.

P.s. Mandy at McNiece TENS in London is really helpful.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
3525 posts
882 upvotes
Ottawa
freestuff wrote:
Mar 25th, 2019 12:58 pm
Thanks! This one looks good. I was contemplating on getting that Irelief wireless Bluetooth ones, but wasn't sure how strong it would be compared to these ones. The wireless device is definitely more convenient and better looking but I rather have a stronger device.
I would also recommend that one. I have the ev-906 model that comes with an AC adapter and is not rechargeable but is otherwise the exact same unit. The batteries last a long long time. I've had it for quite a few years now and use it regularly.

I also have this 2 channel unit that I keep at work. Functionally very similar but it takes a 9V battery which doesn't last as long and I'm not so keen on the dials to change the intensity. It's OK to use now and again.

https://www.amazon.ca/Twin-Stim-Muscle- ... pons&psc=1

Drakestar wrote:
Mar 28th, 2019 7:51 pm
Does your coverage include the pads? That is where the money is. It is like buying a Tasimo and not realizing the money is in the pods. I would find a local supplier and see if they could put a package together for you (unit plus 20 sets of pads (or whatever)) and itemize it as one item for insurance reimbursement. I’d also check and see if they will cover the cost of pacs in future years. Also check and see if you need a prescription for dme coverage. Let us know how it goes.

P.s. Mandy at McNiece TENS in London is really helpful.
The connectors on these units are fairly standardised. Make sure you get a unit that uses thess standard connectors and you can then pick up replacement cables and electrodes direct from Aliexpress for dollar store prices.
Oct 23, 2017
867 posts
526 upvotes
GTA West
wiktoro wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 8:34 pm
Looking to purchase a good quality Tens/Ems Combo unit. My budget is $500 since my insurance is covering it. Been doing research online and all I can find are those cheap $50 units which I can't imagine do work to well for that price.. Any recommendations?
This is the one I have had for several months. I am using it in a trial program run by U of T and this is the unit they are using. It seems very well made and robust and the maker is Canadian Medical Products.

https://www.medelco.ca/product/00/TEN-1 ... -EMS-Combo
Last edited by Dealmaker1945 on Apr 11th, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7034 posts
2282 upvotes
Markham
I was doing some reading and I think the Hi-Dow units are considered the "best"...very pricey though. If the insurance company is going to cover $500 might as well take advantage of it even though I have to pay 20%. Noticed that Amazon.com is a fair amount cheaper than .CA though....might have to buy thru there and get it brought in by Freight Forwarder or Amerifriend. Anyone have one of these hi end units?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!