• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2018 8:31 pm
[OP]
Aug 23, 2013
883 posts
227 upvotes
Scarborough

Best Thermostat in the Market?

Looking to buy a new Thermostat for my house and was looking around to find out which ones are the best.

I have come across Nest as the most well reviewed Thermostat in the market through Research/Amazon. The price tag has me like Face Screaming In Fear, but willing to pay if I really am getting my bang for my buck.

Can anyone who uses Nest comment on that, or direct me to other well reputable brands.

I would think that most new Thermostats can be controlled Digitally now..
30 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3245 posts
644 upvotes
Bleachway wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 2:42 pm
Looking to buy a new Thermostat for my house and was looking around to find out which ones are the best.

I have come across Nest as the most well reviewed Thermostat in the market through Research/Amazon.

Can anyone who uses Nest comment on that, or direct me to other well reputable brands.

My vote is for Ecobee

Canadian, well made, user friendly, usually comes with sensors, and doesent require a c wire.
(Nest also claims this but in turn ends up stealing power but cycling your fan)

The screen also has the option to be on all the time displaying various info (which the Nest doesn’t)
I also prefer the shape
Qualifies for energy rebate
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Feb 16, 2016
363 posts
72 upvotes
Casselman, Ontario
+1 for the Ecobee!
[OP]
Aug 23, 2013
883 posts
227 upvotes
Scarborough
Red_Army wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 2:44 pm
My vote is for Ecobee

Canadian, well made, user friendly, usually comes with sensors, and doesent require a c wire.
(Nest also claims this but in turn ends up stealing power but cycling your fan)

The screen also has the option to be on all the time displaying various info (which the Nest doesn’t)
I also prefer the shape
Qualifies for energy rebate
Potrice wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 3:01 pm
+1 for the Ecobee!
Appreciate the prompt responses, I'll be looking into Ecobee.

I see that there are two version of Ecobee, the ecobee3 and ecobee4.

Any key differences between then?
May 12, 2014
697 posts
304 upvotes
Markham, ON
Bleachway wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 3:18 pm

Just saw Ecobee3 Lite in Costco with two sensors today.

If all you want it is to control the heat and cooling, the lite should be enough. I got mine via Greeen Energy, don't remember the name and it's been cancelled, and bought two sensors for $45 each. The sensors are what makes the thermostat worth it.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3245 posts
644 upvotes
Bleachway wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 3:18 pm

Pretty sure they are exactly the same just that 4 has Amazon Alexa

Also the 3 Lite version is the exact same minus the ability to control optional equipment such as a humidifier etc.
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
2577 posts
507 upvotes
Oshawa
There is NO SUCH THING AS the Best Thermostat. All companies market their own as the best.

Read reviews and then make your call.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10544 posts
224 upvotes
Bleachway wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 2:42 pm

I have come across Nest as the most well reviewed Thermostat in the market through Research/Amazon. The price tag has me like Face Screaming In Fear, but willing to pay if I really am getting my bang for my buck.

What does "bang for my buck" mean to you?

It will not work magic. If you already have a (non-smart) programmable thermostat that you've set to your schedule then you won't get a whole lot of energy savings from a "smart" thermostat.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
2519 posts
277 upvotes
mbg wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 8:26 pm
What does "bang for my buck" mean to you?

It will not work magic. If you already have a (non-smart) programmable thermostat that you've set to your schedule then you won't get a whole lot of energy savings from a "smart" thermostat.
Never bought my ecobee for savings, if there are savings that's just a bonus. Mainly bought for comfort and convenience.
May 30, 2013
178 posts
81 upvotes
Markham
I prefer the Nest, I like the hockey puck shape. It looks much better than ecobee when installed without the base plate.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5458 posts
1169 upvotes
Markham
AV-Fishing wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 5:17 pm
There is NO SUCH THING AS the Best Thermostat. All companies market their own as the best.

Read reviews and then make your call.
+1

Depends on your situation. The only thing a thermostat does is turn your furnace or air conditioning on or off. If you work regular hours like most people, all you need is a simple thermostat that is programmable to turn on or off at set hours. You can buy some with more programs for each day eg MTWRFSS.

Most people don't need anything more than that IMO.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
28534 posts
3915 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I agree with @mbg and @gr8dlr

I have one that I use with my automation and I never touch it. Set your schedule and leave it. Adjust it for seasonal changes and that about it.

I just signed up for a program and will be getting a free Ecobee, but I’m going to stick with my 7 day programmable CT80 Z-Wave unit.

If you’re going to automate your home, I can see the allure of these smart thermostats, but I prefer to keep mine out of the cloud.
Jun 11, 2010
604 posts
308 upvotes
ottawa
I ended up getting the Ecobee and love it. I don't have the most predictable schedule so it's great that it doesn't over cool or heat the house to our 'normal home times' if smart away is on for example. I don't think I've touched it since I got it. It also has a cool feature called ac overcool max which will allow you to over cool your house in the summer to bring down the humidity, which is good for my purpose since I don't have an HRV or whole-home dehumidifier (just a stand alone unit in the basement which works fine).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)