• Dec 5th, 2018 5:44 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
2808 posts
340 upvotes

Best time to buy a gimbal over the next few months

Hi,

My wife and I are expecting our first child in March so I'd like to shoot some video on my iphone x. I have an a6500 but I think software and sharing is easier from my phone (and I don't have a great desktop set up for video).

1. When is the best time to buy a gimbal over the next few months (black friday, Christmas, boxing day)? Is there a new model that's expected soon that may influence my timing given that I won't really start shooting until March?
2. Are these all virtually the same? Seems like the Smooth 4, Q and OSMO are the most popular
3. Is OIS still an issue?

Thanks!
7 replies
Jul 5, 2006
355 posts
163 upvotes
Smooth 4 seems to ways be on sale at Amazon around 140
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4030 posts
474 upvotes
you can wait but even when new ones are announced it can take like 6 mos before they're available
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
4057 posts
1031 upvotes
Toronto
poorwingman wrote:
Nov 24th, 2018 8:43 am
Hi,

My wife and I are expecting our first child in March so I'd like to shoot some video on my iphone x. I have an a6500 but I think software and sharing is easier from my phone (and I don't have a great desktop set up for video).

1. When is the best time to buy a gimbal over the next few months (black friday, Christmas, boxing day)? Is there a new model that's expected soon that may influence my timing given that I won't really start shooting until March?
2. Are these all virtually the same? Seems like the Smooth 4, Q and OSMO are the most popular
3. Is OIS still an issue?

Thanks!
Considering the child will likely not be moving much, I think a monopod and a manual slider would be better.

Plus you can use the year until he/she starts to walk to refine your video skills.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4822 posts
266 upvotes
I just ordered an Osmo Pocket. I sold my Zhiyun Crane M. I am looking to sell my Zhiyun Smooth Q as soon as my Osmo Pocket arrives.
Jun 21, 2009
434 posts
32 upvotes
Oni-kun wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 12:13 pm
I just ordered an Osmo Pocket. I sold my Zhiyun Crane M. I am looking to sell my Zhiyun Smooth Q as soon as my Osmo Pocket arrives.
I have been eyeing the pocket too.. just curious, do you get a lot of usage out of your gimbals? I think I will use it occasionally here and there so I can't justify the cost to myself.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4822 posts
266 upvotes
Kouyo wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 2:41 pm
I have been eyeing the pocket too.. just curious, do you get a lot of usage out of your gimbals? I think I will use it occasionally here and there so I can't justify the cost to myself.
No, I've used the Crane M a total of 3 times. It could be because I'm not that into video and it was a pain in the ass taking my camera on and off and gimbal in and out of the bag everytime I saw a good photo opportunity vs video opportunity. I decided photo is more important to me. I never used the Smooth Q. I bought it in anticipation of a vacation coming up in January but now that the Osmo Pocket is out I ordered it and intend to sell the Smooth Q. If you don't care that much about tiny size I think something smaller like Smooth Q and phone will be good enough. Especially if shallow depth of field from a larger sensor on a real camera is not that important to you. Or you're mainly using it during daylight hours or well lit indoor areas.