• Jan 10th, 2019 11:59 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
3138 posts
505 upvotes

Best time to buy a gimbal over the next few months

Hi,

My wife and I are expecting our first child in March so I'd like to shoot some video on my iphone x. I have an a6500 but I think software and sharing is easier from my phone (and I don't have a great desktop set up for video).

1. When is the best time to buy a gimbal over the next few months (black friday, Christmas, boxing day)? Is there a new model that's expected soon that may influence my timing given that I won't really start shooting until March?
2. Are these all virtually the same? Seems like the Smooth 4, Q and OSMO are the most popular
3. Is OIS still an issue?

Thanks!
14 replies
Jul 5, 2006
401 posts
212 upvotes
Smooth 4 seems to ways be on sale at Amazon around 140
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4150 posts
519 upvotes
you can wait but even when new ones are announced it can take like 6 mos before they're available
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
4704 posts
1526 upvotes
Toronto
poorwingman wrote:
Nov 24th, 2018 8:43 am
Hi,

My wife and I are expecting our first child in March so I'd like to shoot some video on my iphone x. I have an a6500 but I think software and sharing is easier from my phone (and I don't have a great desktop set up for video).

1. When is the best time to buy a gimbal over the next few months (black friday, Christmas, boxing day)? Is there a new model that's expected soon that may influence my timing given that I won't really start shooting until March?
2. Are these all virtually the same? Seems like the Smooth 4, Q and OSMO are the most popular
3. Is OIS still an issue?

Thanks!
Considering the child will likely not be moving much, I think a monopod and a manual slider would be better.

Plus you can use the year until he/she starts to walk to refine your video skills.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4895 posts
316 upvotes
I just ordered an Osmo Pocket. I sold my Zhiyun Crane M. I am looking to sell my Zhiyun Smooth Q as soon as my Osmo Pocket arrives.
Jun 21, 2009
471 posts
42 upvotes
Oni-kun wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 12:13 pm
I just ordered an Osmo Pocket. I sold my Zhiyun Crane M. I am looking to sell my Zhiyun Smooth Q as soon as my Osmo Pocket arrives.
I have been eyeing the pocket too.. just curious, do you get a lot of usage out of your gimbals? I think I will use it occasionally here and there so I can't justify the cost to myself.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4895 posts
316 upvotes
Kouyo wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 2:41 pm
I have been eyeing the pocket too.. just curious, do you get a lot of usage out of your gimbals? I think I will use it occasionally here and there so I can't justify the cost to myself.
No, I've used the Crane M a total of 3 times. It could be because I'm not that into video and it was a pain in the ass taking my camera on and off and gimbal in and out of the bag everytime I saw a good photo opportunity vs video opportunity. I decided photo is more important to me. I never used the Smooth Q. I bought it in anticipation of a vacation coming up in January but now that the Osmo Pocket is out I ordered it and intend to sell the Smooth Q. If you don't care that much about tiny size I think something smaller like Smooth Q and phone will be good enough. Especially if shallow depth of field from a larger sensor on a real camera is not that important to you. Or you're mainly using it during daylight hours or well lit indoor areas.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4150 posts
519 upvotes
Oni-kun wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 5:44 pm
No, I've used the Crane M a total of 3 times. It could be because I'm not that into video and it was a pain in the ass taking my camera on and off and gimbal in and out of the bag everytime I saw a good photo opportunity vs video opportunity. I decided photo is more important to me. I never used the Smooth Q. I bought it in anticipation of a vacation coming up in January but now that the Osmo Pocket is out I ordered it and intend to sell the Smooth Q. If you don't care that much about tiny size I think something smaller like Smooth Q and phone will be good enough. Especially if shallow depth of field from a larger sensor on a real camera is not that important to you. Or you're mainly using it during daylight hours or well lit indoor areas.
how you liking it?

i've owned 4 gimbals (two for gopro-sized, one for dslr and one for mirrorless) and thought i about geting the zhiyun weebil LAB or wait for a mirrorless version of the Ronin-S but i might just spring for the Pocket

it's been absolute PAIN in the ass to setup every time you want video and i simply don't want to deal with the issues that come with the smaller brands

kinda sucks you only get auto mode without a phone...but the value is def there...where else can you get 4K60 mechanically stabilized for under $500?

seems like a decent, no-drama package...me thinks would go well with a mavic air and a6500 on the road
Russell wrote:
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4895 posts
316 upvotes
twitchyzero wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 12:56 pm
how you liking it?

i've owned 4 gimbals (two for gopro-sized, one for dslr and one for mirrorless) and thought i about geting the zhiyun weebil LAB or wait for a mirrorless version of the Ronin-S but i might just spring for the Pocket

it's been absolute PAIN in the ass to setup every time you want video and i simply don't want to deal with the issues that come with the smaller brands

kinda sucks you only get auto mode without a phone...but the value is def there...where else can you get 4K60 mechanically stabilized for under $500?

seems like a decent, no-drama package...me thinks would go well with a mavic air and a6500 on the road
Overall I like it. There are just a few small things that bother me but doesn't detract too much from it.

As you said if you want to adjust anything you have to plug in your phone to go into the "pro" mode. The only time I found I really wanted to do it was when the WB wasn't the look I wanted to go for or I was outdoors and trying not to blow the highlights. But I found generally the auto mode already tried it's best to not blow your highlights outdoors, what it really needs is ND filters which I don't have yet.

Another annoyance is, without the joystick built in, to tilt it up and down you have to use the touch screen so it's a little tiny bit annoying because it takes just a bit longer to tilt it. But compared to having to unpack a full sized gimbal and doing the balancing, it's nothing.

The screen is a bit small to be able to see what is in focus or not, but it's good enough for framing. Object and face tracking only works 4k30 or below. Doesn't work for 4k60 right now. Also the firmware has yet to add the "stories" feature. But it's supposed to be coming soon.

The auto mode is quite good. The video quality is very good outdoors with plenty of light. Indoors with your average household lighting at night it's quite acceptable, there may be some noise depending on the conditions but you really have to look for it. Strangely enough a few times where I set the settings in the "pro" mode to get my WB right, shutter speed at 2x frame rate, and use the light meter/zebras to make sure my highlights weren't blown, the video actually looked worse than the auto mode? It could have just been that end of the living room where it's not lit as well. I haven't exhaustively tested it.

I have an a6000, if I were to be taking a video where I know it'll be stationary either handheld or on a tripod I would probably still use it over the Osmo Pocket. The pocket is mostly to bring out with me, use it when my kid starts to crawl/move more, and for vacation clips where I will be moving.

If you're doing an outdoor shot where you don't need/want shallow depth of field and the lens on the pocket is wide enough I would argue you can use it in place of an a6500 on a gimbal. The quality is good enough. Indoor you can benefit from the larger sensor of the a6500 but it's still quite usable indoors if you have average indoor lighting.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4150 posts
519 upvotes
sorry to spread your responses across 2 feeds
do you have any issues with drifting? steve huff on the 'tube couldn't wait to offload his, but then again he was raving about the evo gimbal and that turned out to be a piece of shit
and all the vloggers seems to hate it because their pretty faces get cut-off, but for me 28mm shouldn't be an issue...i'm used to the 24mm and not that gross GoPro fisheye
Russell wrote:

Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4895 posts
316 upvotes
twitchyzero wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 4:45 am
sorry to spread your responses across 2 feeds
do you have any issues with drifting? steve huff on the 'tube couldn't wait to offload his, but then again he was raving about the evo gimbal and that turned out to be a piece of shit
and all the vloggers seems to hate it because their pretty faces get cut-off, but for me 28mm shouldn't be an issue...i'm used to the 24mm and not that gross GoPro fisheye
Do you mean that you would lose tracking and it would drift off? I found if you put an object between yourself and the subject, say you walked behind a pole it might do that. As for just twitching off on it's own or the motor moving without you moving I haven't had that issue.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2878 posts
638 upvotes
Congrats on joining the parenting club!

As an experienced parent, wait.

Your baby's not going to be very mobile until crawling age and even at that, snail pace. Unless he/she discovers rolling and can roll fast. Mine rolled before crawling, primary method of movement :)

Static shots and small movement is fine for most smartphones with IBIS.

Once they start standing, walking, roughly 12-14 months, they'll start running....

I have a Zhiyun Smooth Q and it is a bit finicky, app sucks but it works. Unless you're doing something really big/interesting, I go handheld. However, the Zhiyun does work well while chasing a toddler at full speed...

Wait until next year!
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
2961 posts
1608 upvotes
Toronto
Oni-kun wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 12:13 pm
Kouyo wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 2:41 pm
I was watching a comparison video Casey Neistat made with the Pocket vs the Hero 7. It seems like the Hero 7's software stabilization does a pretty awesome job and I found the picture to be better with the Hero 7.