• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 11:24 am
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 19, 2010
152 posts

Best time to buy an iPad. Is there one?

Hey RFD,

Interested in buying an iPad for my mother. Was aiming for Christmas but around her birthday (March) would be fine too. She just started using WiFi on a a cellphone so I'm hoping to get her to transition to an iPad (better for the eyes).

Also looking for feedback on those that have bought the Cellular versions. What are you paying monthly/how many GBs of data/provider?
6 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10238 posts
3042 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You should consider getting her a refurbished iPad (5th gen) 32GB for $379 as that is probably the cheapest option for up-to-date hardware that you can get. Apple refurbished models are pretty much brand new but just comes in a plain white box.

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/FP2F2CL/A

Does your mother really need the cellular version? Because the price jumps by about $100-150 for the cellular version.
Last edited by rvs007 on Nov 14th, 2017 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18468 posts
3607 upvotes
Thornhill
+1 on refurb. I would never buy a brand new iPad unless the retail box is necessary. Refurb from Apple gives you the same device, same warranty, just in a plain brown box. But you save a nice chunk.
[OP]
Sep 19, 2010
152 posts
Geeze...embarrassed I didn't even think about refurbished models! Thanks for the suggestion guys. Will look through their inventory.
Jul 3, 2017
80 posts
33 upvotes
Back in stock already after selling out last week, and they have all 3 colours now too. Hmmm, they seem to be getting a good supply of refurbished 2017 iPads!

$379 for a 32 Gbyte model is a good price in Canada, but I see the same model listed new for US$250 at major stores in the U.S. Black Friday sales flyers.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3886 posts
362 upvotes
Montreal
My wife bought an iPad last year. The best retail price of the year was on Black Friday but they sold out before she could get one. The same price was repeated for Boxing Day.
Phils
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25402 posts
2754 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
dsquirrels wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:16 am
Also looking for feedback on those that have bought the Cellular versions. What are you paying monthly/how many GBs of data/provider?
I purchased my first iPad back in 2012 when they released the Retina display. A week later I went out and purchased the same iPad with LTE

I originally tethered to my phone, but it drained my phone battery in a two hours.

I have purchased several iPads since then and I would never considering buying an iPad without cellular.

I pay $10 a month to share my data plan with my iPad. I generally use about 700 megs on my phone and maybe a gig on my iPad.

The best deal right now is the Fido 3 gig for $15 tablet plan