None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
2654 posts
423 upvotes
Ottawa

Best time to replace furnace

I want to replace my aging furnace this year. I'm guessing you may pay a premium at the peaks of heating and cooling seasons. Are there any deals to be had at a particular time of the year or are the prices fairly stable throughout?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1293 posts
180 upvotes
There is no Best answer to your question ...
If I need to change the furnace I will change it as soon as I can afford it . Having a new(er) furnace helps both in Summer and Winter . Atleast I have not heard any one charging premium in peak seasons . Its more of tech availibility . During slower times definitely customer has an edge to negotiate little better .
Change it before it breaks down and you are forced to chose the installer at any price .
dirtmover wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 12:51 pm
I want to replace my aging furnace this year. I'm guessing you may pay a premium at the peaks of heating and cooling seasons. Are there any deals to be had at a particular time of the year or are the prices fairly stable throughout?
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
1708 posts
149 upvotes
Calgary
the best time to replace it is the day before it breaks down.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1429 upvotes
Pickering
If you are getting a furnace with A/C, how would they test it in the winter to make sure it works??
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
6461 posts
1053 upvotes
Toronto
AudiDude wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 1:18 pm
If you are getting a furnace with A/C, how would they test it in the winter to make sure it works??
Set it to cold?
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1429 upvotes
Pickering
koffey wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 2:00 pm
Set it to cold?
Well, I'm thinking you are not supposed to operate the unit in the cold, which is why when you have your furnace and A/C checked in cooler weather they skip the A/C test. Many different explanations why, but the end result is potential compressor damage. So to make sure the job is done right and tested, install during higher temps.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7666 posts
761 upvotes
North York
If in GTA, wait for the Home Show during the CNE Exhibition. Visting the vendors at the show, they normally have promos.

Also, ask if the manufacturers are having any promos, like a 10 year warrantee on the furnace, 10 year warrantee on the A/C compressor. (These manufacturer warrantee is a big win for the buyer.)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
2654 posts
423 upvotes
Ottawa
newlyborn wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 1:00 pm
There is no Best answer to your question ...
If I need to change the furnace I will change it as soon as I can afford it . Having a new(er) furnace helps both in Summer and Winter . Atleast I have not heard any one charging premium in peak seasons . Its more of tech availibility . During slower times definitely customer has an edge to negotiate little better .
Change it before it breaks down and you are forced to chose the installer at any price .
I can afford it now but I'm not about to replace it mid winter unless it breaks. My dilemma is I'm running a 25 year old geothermal heat pump which, even given it's age, outperforms even the most efficient NG furnace available today so no, the comment "a new(er) furnace helps" doesn't apply in this case. Aside from risk there is no real incentive to replace it sooner rather than later but I do recognise it's reaching the end of its life. I plan to replace with high efficiency NG since I can't justify the hefty price tag of another geothermal unit based on how much longer we intend to stay in this property.

Busybuyer888 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 2:31 pm
If in GTA, wait for the Home Show during the CNE Exhibition. Visting the vendors at the show, they normally have promos.

Also, ask if the manufacturers are having any promos, like a 10 year warrantee on the furnace, 10 year warrantee on the A/C compressor. (These manufacturer warrantee is a big win for the buyer.)
No I'm not in the GTA but, believe it or not, we do have home shows in other regions ;) Thanks for the tip I'll be sure to look up the list of exhibitors and check for promos and specials as the spring home show approaches.
× < >