• Aug 7th, 2013 4:46 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 22, 2012
309 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto

Best time of year to buy laptop?

I've heard it's the back to school sales in August. Is this true?
7 replies
Mar 29, 2010
793 posts
174 upvotes
Just follow RFD throughout the year , you never know when a deal strucks..

A laptop with i-5 3rd gen processor for below $250, which back to school sale gonna have that?
Oct 23, 2011
366 posts
501 upvotes
Kirkland, QC
Usually you will find better deals on boxing day or black Friday, but back to school sales are worth checking. Personally I'd say if you want a good deal on electronics, wait until next time you are in the USA because lower prices, no environmental fee and in some states, no sales tax.
[OP]
Dec 22, 2012
309 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
spookstaz wrote:
Aug 5th, 2013 2:50 pm
Usually you will find better deals on boxing day or black Friday, but back to school sales are worth checking. Personally I'd say if you want a good deal on electronics, wait until next time you are in the USA because lower prices, no environmental fee and in some states, no sales tax.
I'm actually going there next week. Where should I look for a good deal? I'm decently tech savvy but completely oblivious when it comes to pricing and deals.
Oct 23, 2011
366 posts
501 upvotes
Kirkland, QC
Depends where you live/where you are going in the US. During "back to school" some states have a state-wide annual sales tax holiday and other states (New Hampshire, Delaware, Montana and Alaska) have no sales tax the whole year round.

If you live in western Canada try the state of Montana. If you live in Eastern Canada go to New Hampshire. I live in Quebec and I like to visit New Hampshire, so I usually try to check out the closest Best Buy and Walmart locations to where I am staying. The closest NH Best Buy to Canada is in Lebanon, NH.

If you go down for the weekend on Black Friday, even better. Just be sure to check how much you are allowed to bring back over the border. With the current rules, if you stay in the US for over 48 hours you can bring back $800 CAD worth of stuff per person.
[OP]
Dec 22, 2012
309 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks spookstaz. I'll definitely look into that.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
24769 posts
1216 upvotes
Richmond Hill
jjege wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2013 6:28 am
Just follow RFD throughout the year , you never know when a deal strucks..

A laptop with i-5 3rd gen processor for below $250, which back to school sale gonna have that?
when was this?
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
list of ongoing trades BST
× < >