• Apr 7th, 2019 10:48 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 26, 2012
3 posts
1 upvote
Chicoutimi

Best trick for data-only sim ?

Roaming sim or tablet plan in a cellphone ? (Quebec)
55 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3367 posts
607 upvotes
batcave wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 9:23 am
I use a T-mobile (US) data plan. It roams in Canada on bell/telus. The rates start from US$10/2gb and $25/6gb per month and up.

https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid/ma ... d-internet
Is this paid monthly or yearly ? Can I buy the sim card say in November and activated in December and use it only for a month and not use it again ?
Heatware 3-0
Homer Simpson - Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is what separates us from animals - except for the weasel.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2975 posts
1402 upvotes
Everywhere
tkl wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 8:43 pm
Is this paid monthly or yearly ? Can I buy the sim card say in November and activated in December and use it only for a month and not use it again ?
It is monthly.

If you are in the US, you can just insert the unactivated SIM into a device and it will take you to a landing page to setup the account. This is how I setup my data plans on the past. This might work in Canada also but I've never tried.

You can also call the TMobile support line to get it setup.
Oct 17, 2010
487 posts
239 upvotes
Vancouver
batcave wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 9:45 pm
It is monthly.

If you are in the US, you can just insert the unactivated SIM into a device and it will take you to a landing page to setup the account. This is how I setup my data plans on the past. This might work in Canada also but I've never tried.

You can also call the TMobile support line to get it setup.
Don't you need a US credit card to activate the service? I have a T mobile sim with me and tried to activate on line but I can't pay for it with my Canadian credit card.
Koodo $50.00 8gb S9+
Virgin Mobile $40 6gb S8+
Public Mobile $38 5gb iPhone 8+
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11385 posts
1257 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Kursor17 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 8:29 am
If your data usage is close to <3GB/month, then get:
Fido 3GB Tablet Plan $15/month ($180/year)
They usually require a monthly talk plan before they let you get the tablet plan.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2975 posts
1402 upvotes
Everywhere
Tobsterboi wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 1:33 am
Don't you need a US credit card to activate the service? I have a T mobile sim with me and tried to activate on line but I can't pay for it with my Canadian credit card.
A couple of ways around this,
  1. If you have an amex, have a US address as an alternate address. You might get charged sales tax this way.
  2. Buy t-mobile credit online, at callingmart or target
Feb 28, 2012
264 posts
169 upvotes
EDMONTON
There's also the Koodo $15 3GB data-only tablet SIM, works just fine in a phone. You need to be logged into a postpaid Koodo account to see the tablet plan listed (direct link), you can order online for a free SIM without the $35 connection fee. Complete overage control with Koodo, none on Fido - at $100/GB you don't want to go over (still $10/GB on Fido). If you're actually needing a tablet Fido has better options, and text addons. Koodo requires a regular voice plan on the account, no reports on enforcement.

The $10/2GB T-mobile option is 13.29 CAD, currently. Not worth the trouble if you can get a 3GB SIM for $15.

Free inbound SMS on a data SIM is handy, for authorization texts.

Best trick for a data-only SIM is setting up a proper VoIP service.
Last edited by pjw918 on Feb 8th, 2019 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
VoIP offers flexibility, economy, carrier independence
VoIP.ms / CSipSimple / VoIP.ms SMS / Groundwire
TCP for reliable mobile VoIP, low battery impact
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2975 posts
1402 upvotes
Everywhere
pjw918 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 8:38 am
The $10/2GB T-mobile option is 13.29 CAD, currently. Not worth the trouble if you can get a 3GB SIM for $15.
T-mobile is no tax when purchased with vouchers. Canada is $15 plus tax. Next T-Mo data level is $25/6GB, better value imho

T-mobile also roams in Canada and Mexico, plus get T-Mobile Tuesdays for free stuff like pandora, mlb.com, pizza, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts...

You can also get T-Mo service for virtually nil by buying a $100 airtime credit and getting a free phone (ongoing promotion) and then selling the phone. The phone can be unlocked immediately with the $100 airtime purchase. The prepaid plan includes 10gb of data. They indicate there is 5gb roaming restriction, but I have used in excess of 20gb in a month in Canada previously.
Feb 28, 2012
264 posts
169 upvotes
EDMONTON
The T-mobile option is viable and attractive, especially if you have use for it in the US or Mexico Just not convenient to set up initially. It does have the benefit of not 'requiring' a voice plan.
Last edited by pjw918 on Feb 8th, 2019 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2975 posts
1402 upvotes
Everywhere
How do I get the koodo plan if I am not currently koodo customer?
Feb 28, 2012
264 posts
169 upvotes
EDMONTON
batcave wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 11:04 am
How do I get the koodo plan if I am not currently koodo customer?
You can't. Unless you have an accomodating friend / family member (who can set the appropriate overage controls). Whether you could cancel a voice plan and keep the tablet plan remains to be seen.
Oct 17, 2010
487 posts
239 upvotes
Vancouver
batcave wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 8:20 am
A couple of ways around this,
  1. If you have an amex, have a US address as an alternate address. You might get charged sales tax this way.
  2. Buy t-mobile credit online, at callingmart or target
Thanks for the info. I'm looking at the callingmart site I can buy exactly $25 worth for the 6gb plan. Will try that out! 6gb in the US and 5gb in Canada haha
Koodo $50.00 8gb S9+
Virgin Mobile $40 6gb S8+
Public Mobile $38 5gb iPhone 8+
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2975 posts
1402 upvotes
Everywhere
Tobsterboi wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 12:54 pm
Thanks for the info. I'm looking at the callingmart site I can buy exactly $25 worth for the 6gb plan. Will try that out! 6gb in the US and 5gb in Canada haha
I think you could probably use all 6gb in Canada. I've used 20gb in a month before. There is not a 5gb limitation on data plans, but the fine print for data plans is different,
Prepaid Mobile Internet Service: Service available for time period and/or usage amount provided by Pass. For time period, a day is 12:00 a.m. to 11:59 p.m., Pacific time. Usage rounded up to the nearest MB each session. Only one Pass may be active at a time. Account suspended after 365 days of inactivity. Domestic use only for on-demand passes; U.S./Canada/Mexico use only for monthly recurring passes. No U.S. roaming. Data only; does not include voice, messaging or Wi-Fi services. Usage applied first to on demand passes, next to free data, then monthly Mobile Internet allotment. $10 SIM Starter Kit may be required. Sufficient balance required to use services. Additional charges apply for international use. Add’l usage taxed in some countries. Full speeds available up to monthly allotment, including tethering; then slowed to up to 2G speeds for rest of service period. Certain uses, e.g., some speed test apps, may not count against high-speed data allotment or have speeds reduced after allotment reached. Not for extended international use; you must reside in the U.S. and primary usage must occur on our U.S. network. Service may be terminated or restricted for excessive roaming.
I've been on the data plan since 2015 without any issues.