• Feb 16th, 2019 11:22 pm
Tags:
Oct 17, 2010
249 posts
120 upvotes
Vancouver
batcave wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 3:11 pm
I think you could probably use all 6gb in Canada. I've used 20gb in a month before. There is not a 5gb limitation on data plans, but the fine print for data plans is different,

I've been on the data plan since 2015 without any issues.
Awesome good to know. Thanks
Jul 16, 2013
188 posts
42 upvotes
pjw918 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 8:38 am
There's also the Koodo $15 3GB data-only tablet SIM, works just fine in a phone. You need to be logged into a postpaid Koodo account to see the tablet plan listed (direct link), you can order online for a free SIM without the $35 connection fee. Complete overage control with Koodo, none on Fido - at $100/GB you don't want to go over (still $10/GB on Fido). If you're actually needing a tablet Fido has better options, and text addons. Koodo requires a regular voice plan on the account, no reports on enforcement.

The $10/2GB T-mobile option is 13.29 CAD, currently. Not worth the trouble if you can get a 3GB SIM for $15.

Free inbound SMS on a data SIM is handy, for authorization texts.

Best trick for a data-only SIM is setting up a proper VoIP service.
What happens if u text using Koodo SIM card? I couldn’t find any fine print on it. Thx.
Feb 28, 2012
128 posts
57 upvotes
EDMONTON
ZenaZ927 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 11:08 am
What happens if u text using Koodo SIM card? I couldn’t find any fine print on it. Thx.
https://www.koodomobile.com/help/activating-tablet

Very fine print. Most people would miss it, and you'll not find it anywhere else.

It's unfortunate the CRTC's Wireless Code doesn't require PPU rates be specified in the customer's wireless service agreement.
Speaking politely.
Jul 16, 2013
188 posts
42 upvotes
pjw918 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 1:51 pm
https://www.koodomobile.com/help/activating-tablet

Very fine print. Most people would miss it, and you'll not find it anywhere else.

It's unfortunate the CRTC's Wireless Code doesn't require PPU rates be specified in the customer's wireless service agreement.
Speaking politely.
Thx. I also checked there is no texting add on either. I guess I will stay with Fido.
Feb 28, 2012
128 posts
57 upvotes
EDMONTON
Texting on a data-only SIM
ZenaZ927 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 3:10 pm
I also checked there is no texting add on either. I guess I will stay with Fido.
There's another way you can go, for texting.

VoIP.ms has unlimited texting, still free. You'd have to pay for a number (DID), 0.85 US, about $1.15 /month. Cheap.

On Android there's the excellent, free VoIP.ms SMS app. Works great! And you'd have full texting ability on all your Android devices, using the same number.

Along with free texting, VoIP.ms includes free and very capable voicemail. You can send calls to your DID directly to VM, and get the message delivered via email. Or set up a proper SIP client for inbound calls, use the VM as fallback..

On iOS you can send/receive texts via Acrobits/Groundwire, or like, YMMV. Be sure to set up the SMS properly on VoIP.ms (under the DID's settings). Texts via a SIP client are sent/received by way of SIP SIMPLE messaging, this might be glitchy when using an intervening push service. Outbound seems reliable.

You can use the data SIM number for reliable 2FA auth texts, free of charge inbound.

https://wiki.voip.ms/article/SMS
Jul 16, 2013
188 posts
42 upvotes
pjw918 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 3:56 pm
Texting on a data-only SIM
There's another way you can go, for texting.

VoIP.ms has unlimited texting, still free. You'd have to pay for a number (DID), 0.85 US, about $1.15 /month. Cheap.

On Android there's the excellent, free VoIP.ms SMS app. Works great! And you'd have full texting ability on all your Android devices, using the same number.

Along with free texting, VoIP.ms includes free and very capable voicemail. You can send calls to your DID directly to VM, and get the message delivered via email. Or set up a proper SIP client for inbound calls, use the VM as fallback..

On iOS you can send/receive texts via Acrobits/Groundwire, or like, YMMV. Be sure to set up the SMS properly on VoIP.ms (under the DID's settings). Texts via a SIP client are sent/received by way of SIP SIMPLE messaging, this might be glitchy when using an intervening push service. Outbound seems reliable.

You can use the data SIM number for reliable 2FA auth texts, free of charge inbound.

https://wiki.voip.ms/article/SMS
No. I need MMS. Thx though
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1132 posts
735 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
Use Whatsapp/Messenger/Viber or your favourite messaging app for your MMS needs.
Jul 16, 2013
188 posts
42 upvotes
arkane wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 8:02 pm
Use Whatsapp/Messenger/Viber or your favourite messaging app for your MMS needs.
Then the other party will need to install all the apps. Not all my friends r on those social medias.
Dec 18, 2017
185 posts
342 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
ZenaZ927 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 9:24 pm
Then the other party will need to install all the apps. Not all my friends r on those social medias.
You're really throwing your money away by using MMS. Carriers, already charge you for data, why make MMS a requirement.

Whatsapp/Messenger don't require you to have a social media (facebook etc. ) account. They just need you to have an active phone number, which you get when you activate a data plan anyway. I can see that you're trying to save $$$ based on your posts, and I think we've just given you the best way to do it - get off MMS.

Of course, ultimately the choice is yours. I'm just really shocked that people send MMS messages which are completely unencrypted and the carriers probably keep a copy of them somewhere anyway. lol.

Any way, just thought I'd throw that out there.
Dec 18, 2017
185 posts
342 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
batcave wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 3:11 pm
I think you could probably use all 6gb in Canada. I've used 20gb in a month before. There is not a 5gb limitation on data plans, but the fine print for data plans is different,
Did you notice any drop in speeds when you used more than 5GB of data in a month. Any indication that they were throttling your data? TIA
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2780 posts
1197 upvotes
Everywhere
vancityguy0 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 4:37 am
Did you notice any drop in speeds when you used more than 5GB of data in a month. Any indication that they were throttling your data? TIA
When throttling happens, it's almost unusable. I couldn't even send a MMS. The only time it happened to me was when I was using a voice/text/data plan and exceeded the data limit (10gb). They gave me the option to upgrade to the unlimited plan though. I might have received a text message when it happened.

I have never experienced throttling on a data plan.
Jul 16, 2013
188 posts
42 upvotes
vancityguy0 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 4:36 am

You're really throwing your money away by using MMS. Carriers, already charge you for data, why make MMS a requirement.

Whatsapp/Messenger don't require you to have a social media (facebook etc. ) account. They just need you to have an active phone number, which you get when you activate a data plan anyway. I can see that you're trying to save $$$ based on your posts, and I think we've just given you the best way to do it - get off MMS.

Of course, ultimately the choice is yours. I'm just really shocked that people send MMS messages which are completely unencrypted and the carriers probably keep a copy of them somewhere anyway. lol.

Any way, just thought I'd throw that out there.
Thanks for sharing. The thing is I do have WhatsApp and messenger etc. Ppl I talk to don't. I don't want to ask ppl to install those apps. I don't mind paying a little bit to have reliable full service. I have used fongo to text. I don't like the ui and if I don't receive pic I don't even know I don't. Fido has a add on allowing texting and call forwarding. It is only 7$ I don't mind it. Just that where I workfido signal is not the greatest. That is why I wonder if koodo has the same thing.
Feb 28, 2012
128 posts
57 upvotes
EDMONTON
There's a lot to recommend bog-standard MMS, available to every cell phone. It can provide reliable on-device arrival and read receipts (as properly implemented). Inbound MMS on the Fido data SIM is free.

How much messaging does the $7 Fido add-on allow? didn't know it included call forwarding. With that, the one data SIM number (and a good VoIP client) could be all you need for both calls and native messaging. $15 + 7 + VoIP.ms (DID for cfwd routing, VM).

--
Pulse is an opton allowing access to SMS & MMS messages from any device.
Last edited by pjw918 on Feb 12th, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 16, 2013
188 posts
42 upvotes
[quote="pjw918" post_id=30540584 time=1549990701 user_id=525309]There's a lot to recommend bog-standard MMS, available to every cell phone. It can provide reliable on-device arrival and read receipts (as properly implemented). Inbound MMS on the Fido data SIM is free.

How much messaging does the $7 Fido add-on allow? didn't know it included call forwarding. With that, the one data SIM number and a VoIP client could be all you need for both calls and messaging. $15 + 7 + VoIP.ms (DID for cfwd routing, VM).[/quote]

It is unlimited. Call forwarding is kind of tricky. It only works on iPhone. And u have to be lucky to be able to have the rep to add the package for you. I only use the texting part.
Dec 18, 2017
185 posts
342 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
batcave wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 9:13 am
When throttling happens, it's almost unusable. I couldn't even send a MMS. The only time it happened to me was when I was using a voice/text/data plan and exceeded the data limit (10gb). They gave me the option to upgrade to the unlimited plan though. I might have received a text message when it happened.

I have never experienced throttling on a data plan.
Thanks! So when you said you’ve used 20GB in a month before, how did that go? Did you use all of those 20GBs in canada?

What plan were you on when you used 20GB and is that when the throttling kicked in?