• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2017 1:40 pm
Tags:
Oct 12, 2004
509 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto

Best turnip cake (lo bak go) in GTA?

Since it's almost CNY, does anyone have any recommendations of great lo bak go or nian go in the GTA?

I'm referring to the ones that are sold by grocery stores, bakeries, and restaurants, that you take home and fry up yourself. I saw some at T&T but they really don't look that great...
6 replies
Banned
Oct 17, 2016
378 posts
134 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
Make it yourself. Homemade is always the best.

We make our own every year.
Mitsubishi Lancer RULES.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2003
3427 posts
196 upvotes
I have no direct recommendation, but check out if Bestco makes any of it inhouse. Bestco has the best prepared food of any supermarket, bar none.

If they don't have any, just pick up some dim sum, it'll make your trip worth it.
The RFD Doctrine
Toronto : Anywhere west of Montreal and east of Calgary.
Scarborough: Anywhere becomes Scarborough if it's a thread about crime.
Google: RFD is faster than Google. Make a thread if you need to find out what bus to take.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2004
1727 posts
253 upvotes
Toronto
Homemade --> Restaurants --> Supermarkets

Quality has gone to the crapper these few years, price has definitely gone up.

Less and less proper ingredients.. just a shit load of 'cake' and not even 'radish' tasting (if that makes sense)
Oct 12, 2004
509 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto
thanks guys.. that's depressing. i guess i'll try making it myself this year. :) bestco is a bit too out of the way for me.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
im sure any large dim sum restaurant has them. Go to the one that's always crowded/most popular. Whether they are good or not is subjective.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1567 posts
47 upvotes
usa
I'm ok with making "year cake." At least my family and all my friends that I give it to asked to make it again every year. Turnip cake is another story. Made it twice and both times didn't come out right. Please share if you have a good and easy to follow recipe.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)