169 posts

Best University for med undergrad?

Anyone know?
53 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2004
1335 posts
22 upvotes
I would argue UWO since all a med or dental school wants is a high average. The admissions boards don't look at UWO as an easy school either, so a 90 average at UWO won't be brushed off as being a result of an easy program. Stay away from UofT, especially there Immunology undergrad as it is renowned for being a med school killer.

One other benefit of Western is that it has BOTH a med and dental school. This increases your chance of getting in early, with some people being admitted into dents after 2nd year undergrad (about 2/class) and about 10 getting into Western meds after 3rd year of undergrad.
Nov 27, 2003
34 posts
Med undergrad would be the actual MD program.

I think your actual question though is what university's the best if you want to go to med school?

I don't think there is a best.. go to the school you feel most comfortable with and where you believe you'll have the most success, and this often involves a lot more than just the school itself (i.e. living conditions, being away from home, friends who live there).
[OP]
Aug 5, 2005
169 posts
Yah i've heard alot about western

Any others? I wanan be able to enjoy working.. I want to be in a nice campus, with good people. I've heard nothing but bad stuff from UofT
Nov 27, 2003
34 posts
Man there're just too many UT haters.

I went to UT, and while I can't say I had an AMAZING time, I really enjoyed it there and liked being challenged. If you want an easy ride, then don't go to UT.
Oct 30, 2004
842 posts
Toronto
I've heard good things about the McMaster medical program - particularly for women who want to become doctors.
Jul 20, 2003
400 posts
4 upvotes
I dont think this person is asking about which medical school to attend, but rather which undergrad to attend prior to med school. As such, the last comment about mac meds is really not relevant.

Really it does not matter where you go to undergrad...you can go to UofT, Western, Mac, York, Windsor..really wherever you want. And, you can do whatever you want in terms of subject chioce as well, provided you take the basic pre-reqs.

I think the most important thing is to pick a program that will leave you with the a true backup plan should either you not get into medical school or decide down the road that you would rather not spend another 10 years in school after your undergrad.
Nov 27, 2003
34 posts
7thEye wrote:I dont think this person is asking about which medical school to attend, but rather which undergrad to attend prior to med school. As such, the last comment about mac meds is really not relevant.

Really it does not matter where you go to undergrad...you can go to UofT, Western, Mac, York, Windsor..really wherever you want. And, you can do whatever you want in terms of subject chioce as well, provided you take the basic pre-reqs.

I think the most important thing is to pick a program that will leave you with the a true backup plan should either you not get into medical school or decide down the road that you would rather not spend another 10 years in school after your undergrad.
The most intelligent and rational post I've read here all day.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2005
7394 posts
96 upvotes
I think the med undergrad program you're referring to is called "Life Sciences". They have that at U of T and Queens, but goes under different names at other universities (ie. Biomedical sciences). If you're trying to get into med school, it doesn't matter where you went for undergrad, or what program. All they care is the marks, and whether you have the required courses (mainly 1st year bio/chem/physics/calculus/english).

My undergrad before med school was biochem. I would not recommend that as a major. Unless you like the material (which I found really dry), things will go by very slowly.

As for medical school, you go to whichever you get accepted into. It's so competitive nowadays that even if you're an excellent candidate, there's no sure bet. I went with UOttawa because it's in my hometown, so I can save money and live at home.
Nov 27, 2003
34 posts
I'm taking this topic OT but Bordello how are you liking Ottawa's program? And what year are you in?
I'm starting there in a few weeks and it seems great, especially with all the clinical opportunities you can get into from the get-go.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 13, 2004
9971 posts
447 upvotes
Mississauga
UofT has the best medical program in Canada. Period.
Jul 20, 2003
400 posts
4 upvotes
dmdsoftware2 wrote:UofT has the best medical program in Canada. Period.
Uhmm...you are baseing this on what? Have you atteneded all of the medical schools, or do you happen to attend UofT :cheesygri
Jun 8, 2005
31 posts
skip mcgill for pre-med studies. the WHOLE first year class is full of overachievers who state that they want to go to med school from day 1 (believe me, i know...i am one of them...wish i had gone to a small undergrad-focussed school rather than a large, highly regarded and demanding institution).

go where you will be happy and where you can study something you are interested in. get the best marks possible with the least effort and make sure you have time on the side for extra curriculars.

if i could do it again, i think i would have gone to acadia! still...im in grad school now and saying that i went to mcgill for my undergrad still turns heads.

good luck!
Jan 26, 2005
383 posts
Pretty much, it's hard to say which undergrad program is best for prep to med. What I can recommend is:

1. think outside the bun .. eh i mean ontario. Ontario is reknowned as being the HARDEST place in NORTH AMERICA to get into. This is mainly because of 2 reasons: one, is that they don't have any preference for students, meaning that someone from BC is as likely as someone from ont, as long as they have everything else equal. Other schools prefere their own provincial students and only allowed 2-3 out of province students per year. TWO, the Ontario med schools look at your MCAT first above all else (if they look at the MCAT i mean) That means if you have an under-average MCAT score, but perfect GPA and saved the life of the pope, they don't care. Other schools, particular in the USA, look at MCAT, extracurriculars, marks etc all at once to get a better understanding of the applicant. In ontario, to my knowledge, that's not popularly done.

2. do your research. find out what schools need what and for how long. does a social science count as a 'writing' course? some schools count it, some don't. it's better to start asking schools asap instead of the short time period between when the MCAT is over and applications are due (early oct)

3. Seriously ask yourself if you want to be a dr, or do your parents want you to be a dr? while being a dr is a good job, it is a lot of work (in and out of school) and the money is good but not great. Dr have to work like every day, longer than 9-5, around SICK ppl. You see people when they are looking their WORSE. This job requires a lot of compassion and patience and dedication. If your in it for the money, fame, or prefix, you might want to do something else.

4. As someone already mentioned, back up plan is crucial. im sure ur very smart and bright and top of your class etc but the reality is, there aren't enough med school seats to meet the demand and the vast majority don't get chosen. Take other courses outside of life sci (ie sociology, philosophy, psychology, etc.) to see what you like. Pharmacy, vet, grad schools are all very good alternatives, arguabley better depending on who you are. Grad schools are especially appealing (to me) because you can eventually get ur phd (prefix dr) and you're your own boss too. so realli, just think outside of the "med school and med school only" mentality. its scary i know, but what's even scarier is being in 4th year and not knowing what you want to do because u can't make it into med schools.

5. Get your head out of your books and live life. Join things and be different. I mean, the # of applicants who are all cookie cutter students are so annoyingly overwhelming: "did well in high school and university, joined the science and chess club, volunteered in hospital" blah blah blah. they've seen it a million times. You want to do something different? Try this: my verbal reasoning teacher JOINED the army, became ORDAINED and goes to hospitals for 'last rites' or smtg. THAT'S different. And she got into Queens first cut.

Being a dr is a very important profession. it's rewarding but don't kid yourself, it's a lot of hard work from the minute you want it, till way longer afterwards (student loans will kill ya). Make sure YOU want it.

Good luck with everything and i hope that helps
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2005
7394 posts
96 upvotes
Mach wrote:TWO, the Ontario med schools look at your MCAT first above all else (if they look at the MCAT i mean) That means if you have an under-average MCAT score, but perfect GPA and saved the life of the pope, they don't care. Other schools, particular in the USA, look at MCAT, extracurriculars, marks etc all at once to get a better understanding of the applicant. In ontario, to my knowledge, that's not popularly done.
Good points. I should add that not every school in Ontario require the MCATs, McMaster and UOttawa do not. They will look at it if you've done it, but it's not mandatory.