• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2017 11:15 am
[OP]
Banned
Dec 18, 2016
89 posts
115 upvotes

Best value high end dry cat food

I was wondering since orijen and/or acana is downsizing their bag sizes, any other good brands with good value that also has 70%+ protein content?
16 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1591 posts
159 upvotes
orejan is good

but i buy mine at the vet's office for urinary crystals prevention.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4279 posts
698 upvotes
Mississauga
GetSchwifty wrote:
Jan 17th, 2017 10:20 am
I was wondering since orijen and/or acana is downsizing their bag sizes, any other good brands with good value that also has 70%+ protein content?
You must be mistaken. No food has 70+% protein. You must be referring to 70+% animal/fish ingredients (which is different than actual protein content).

Orijen/Acana are the only ones that advertise the percentage of those ingredient sources, as far as I know. If you want to go with a different brand, then you'll have to resort to the ingredients list and make sure the first couple of ingredients are meat/fish products and that the protein percentage is high.

I recently switched my dog to the PC Nutrition First line of dry dog food. They're all: no corn, no wheat, no soy, no by-products, no artificial preservatives. So I would recommend having a look at their cat foods. I know they have a grain-free Salmon one for cats with Fresh Salmon and Salmon Meal as the first two listed ingredients and is 38% protein (I don't know what's a low/average/high percentage for cat food).
[OP]
Banned
Dec 18, 2016
89 posts
115 upvotes
kenchau wrote:
Jan 17th, 2017 3:38 pm
You must be mistaken. No food has 70+% protein. You must be referring to 70+% animal/fish ingredients (which is different than actual protein content).

Orijen/Acana are the only ones that advertise the percentage of those ingredient sources, as far as I know. If you want to go with a different brand, then you'll have to resort to the ingredients list and make sure the first couple of ingredients are meat/fish products and that the protein percentage is high.

I recently switched my dog to the PC Nutrition First line of dry dog food. They're all: no corn, no wheat, no soy, no by-products, no artificial preservatives. So I would recommend having a look at their cat foods. I know they have a grain-free Salmon one for cats with Fresh Salmon and Salmon Meal as the first two listed ingredients and is 38% protein (I don't know what's a low/average/high percentage for cat food).
Oops you're right, I meant 70%+ animal meat / byproduct.

Interesting, I didn't know PC came out with a line of premium pet food. I'll check it out, thanks!

And it's a shame premium pet food is so expensive compared to the corn filler food =/
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4279 posts
698 upvotes
Mississauga
GetSchwifty wrote:
Jan 17th, 2017 3:51 pm
Oops you're right, I meant 70%+ animal meat / byproduct.

Interesting, I didn't know PC came out with a line of premium pet food. I'll check it out, thanks!

And it's a shame premium pet food is so expensive compared to the corn filler food =/
They just don't have anything in the form of some of the more "exotic/game" meats like bison, buffalo, etc. that other brands may carry.
[OP]
Banned
Dec 18, 2016
89 posts
115 upvotes
kenchau wrote:
Jan 17th, 2017 4:08 pm
They just don't have anything in the form of some of the more "exotic/game" meats like bison, buffalo, etc. that other brands may carry.
That's totally fine. If I can't afford to eat bison, neither can my cats. Do you know if all superstores have it, and what's the biggest size they got? And pricing as well, if you can remmeber and if you don't mind.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4279 posts
698 upvotes
Mississauga
GetSchwifty wrote:
Jan 17th, 2017 4:34 pm
That's totally fine. If I can't afford to eat bison, neither can my cats. Do you know if all superstores have it, and what's the biggest size they got? And pricing as well, if you can remmeber and if you don't mind.
I presume most of the Loblaws family of supermarkets would carry them. As for price and sizes, I don't know for certain as I only buy dog food. But for the dog food, the largest sizes seem to vary by flavour. Some foods come in 13kg bags, others only come in 9kg bags, etc. and of course, they have small bags for trial or small dogs.

I was feeding raw immediately prior to switching to PC, but compared to the Acana I was feeding before, on a per kg basis, this is about $2 less (about $7.12/kg versus $5.02/kg after taxes). I'm just doing a quick calculation here, so it doesn't account for any buy x bags, get 1 free at the pet stores, nor PC Points at the supermarkets.

Worth hecking out the next time you're at the supermarket.
[OP]
Banned
Dec 18, 2016
89 posts
115 upvotes
Thank you for your help. I'm doing more research, and the ones at superstore are certainly "corn free, soy free, wheat free", but they are not carb free. They still either feature rice or potato as the carb source and binder/filler for the food. But it's certainly cheaper though, I'd say that much. $33 for 9 kg vs $55 for 5.4 kg.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4279 posts
698 upvotes
Mississauga
GetSchwifty wrote:
Jan 17th, 2017 6:44 pm
Thank you for your help. I'm doing more research, and the ones at superstore are certainly "corn free, soy free, wheat free", but they are not carb free. They still either feature rice or potato as the carb source and binder/filler for the food. But it's certainly cheaper though, I'd say that much. $33 for 9 kg vs $55 for 5.4 kg.
Yeah, unfortunately, i don't have experience as a cat owner so i don't know all the minutiae. With respect to their dog foods, the line receives four out of five stars from a popular dog food advisor site, which is a very good rating. But most importantly, my dog does well on it and the energy levels are still there.

It may very well still be an above average cat food, but just not above average enough haha. But best of luck with the search. :)
Mar 4, 2008
172 posts
13 upvotes
BC
I buy my cat food at the vet...they have a pet nutritionist and hoping that I can rely on their knowledge of knowing that the brand I buy is good quality. It is a veterinary exclusive from Hills Prescription Diet a 2kg bag for $40. This food is directed for urinary care so not sure if a more regular bag is cheaper. But good food for thought, now that I am looking at it, maybe this bag isn't as good as I am thinking it is.

Edit: after going through the ingredients list of this Hills cat food, there is certainly some ingredients to be aware of - corn gluten meal; while gluten meal; whole grain corn

mmmm time to do some researching!
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2946 posts
434 upvotes
JimboD - If your pet was prescribed the Hill's food to treat a particular urinary condition I would not change it based on information provided over the Internet.

I suggest you speak with your vet about any concerns you may have.

Years ago one of our dogs who had bladder stones (inherited with him and subsequently removed) was put on Hill's canned C/D. He ate it for 6 months post the stone removal and did not develop any additional crystals - and was then cleared to resume his former gourmet diet (a Dachshund - they like their food). He had an X-Ray first.

We keep a couple of cans of Hill's I/D on hand just in case of a stomach upset - he was prescribed it in 2005 after he developed the dog flu that was going around Toronto. It did the trick. We have only used our 2 cans post dentals etc. It is a balanced food as is the food for urinary issues. If you are going to change foods (or make your own) you will have to ensure that the food meets all of your pup's requirements.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4279 posts
698 upvotes
Mississauga
As Blanche123 said, if your dog has a particular condition then definitely go with a specific prescribed food.

What I mentioned and what you find on the internet about things to look for and avoid in pet foods are general guidelines for the average person just trying to decide on a brand/line of pet food to choose for their dog or cat. By no means is it meant for pets with a specific condition that require specialty foods specifically for said condition.

Now if you had a perfectly healthy pet, but your vet was trying to push a brand/line of food, then you can maybe consider ignoring. My vet has never ever tried to push any brand/line of food for my perfectly healthy pet. But they do carry Hills, likely for the specific conditions of pets that they might encounter.
Mar 4, 2008
172 posts
13 upvotes
BC
Hey thanks for the response. My cat had a UTI approx 5 months ago and has been on this food since. He seems to be doing fine now and hasn't had any issues since. He didn't drink much water, we changed his litter box & just the weather is some of the things that could have been the cause (especially water intake) - fussy cats being stubborn.

I ended up buying some Acana as it is more natural with fresh meats. Slowly mixing it in take make a transition & going to keep some of the Hills food kicking around - its mainly all grains. Also adding in some wet food to help get some water in & keeping the Acana food low in protein. Had a good chat with the local pet store worker, she seemed pretty knowledgeable and I am fairly confident in my decision to make a switch while adding in more water.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4279 posts
698 upvotes
Mississauga
JimboD wrote:
Jan 21st, 2017 3:04 am
Hey thanks for the response. My cat had a UTI approx 5 months ago and has been on this food since. He seems to be doing fine now and hasn't had any issues since. He didn't drink much water, we changed his litter box & just the weather is some of the things that could have been the cause (especially water intake) - fussy cats being stubborn.

I ended up buying some Acana as it is more natural with fresh meats. Slowly mixing it in take make a transition & going to keep some of the Hills food kicking around - its mainly all grains. Also adding in some wet food to help get some water in & keeping the Acana food low in protein. Had a good chat with the local pet store worker, she seemed pretty knowledgeable and I am fairly confident in my decision to make a switch while adding in more water.
Is it possible that there are changes with the water supply? Chemical differences in the municipality facilities when they treat the water? Cats and dogs do have better noses than humans and as such, sometimes they pick up on something they don't like the smell of in the water even though it is, for the most part, the same to us, save for an obvious extreme concentration of chlorine or other things.

Worth a try to see if you give your cat filtered water or bottled water for example, does he drink more of it...just to know and eliminate if there's no difference.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2946 posts
434 upvotes
Yes, it is worth trying out the bottled water. I have to drink it and also give it to our white dog who is a breed prone to stones - thankfully so far so good with him. An added benefit is that at 13 he does not have any staining around his eyes. It won't always help with dogs who have eye stains but it was worth a try. He is a small standard though - if he were a mini or toy white dog, it might not help. It can also help with dogs that have beards.

Many people who live in the "granite" states in the U.S. give their pets bottled water.

I buy cases of water on sale. With the price of water in Toronto I am not so sure it is costing us much more than giving him tap water.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel