Art and Photography

Best vantage points in Toronto and Montreal?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2018 11:04 pm
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
10915 posts
5089 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 7:04 pm
I was at Polson Pier about an hour ago and it feels like I'm inside a hurricane. So windy! There's a park (Jennifer Kateryna) and there's a great view there. Unfortunately, it was so windy that water from the lake was coming up to where I was standing. I gotta come back another day and yes I have a tripod. Definitely can't use it in an environment like this. I don't recalled seeing a Pier parking lot. Not sure if we're talking about the exact vantage point. I did go inside T&T to grab some food. There's a seating area inside.
Ya, on the right of JKKP is where I've shot from, isn't windy in the summer. Parking lot is behind it, not sure if public, I park at TnT.
Lots of people taking pics along that strip when I was there, many left at blue hour, the best time imho.

[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18417 posts
291 upvotes
YVR
I'm heading back to Toronto very soon. Just thought I'd bump the thread in case there are new worthy additions to the list since I was last in Toronto.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18417 posts
291 upvotes
YVR
phuviano wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 1:17 am
I agree that there won't be much to do at centre island, especially in the winter. Although, it depends on the OP, and what he wants to do. I personally pay to go over in the summer time and leave. I do nothing else at center island. To most people its a waste, but really depends how much you're into doing this type of stuff. I don't shoot professionally, but I'll do almost anything to get the best shot i can. Even if it means paying to get a better point of view. While polson pier offers a decent view. I still think centre island gives the best perspective. To me, without the "skydome" (cough, cough rogers center) in the skyline, its incomplete imo. Each to their own though. OP can decide for himself if he likes the polson pier perspective, or the centre island one.

I'd still advise centre island, as opposed to ward's island, because again, it doesn't give you that straight direct point of view, with both the dome and CN tower together.

Here's a couple of my own examples. One from the this year, and one from the year before. I'm still not 100% happy with either photo. I will be going back in the spring or summer to shoot it again.
In your opinion, which spot at Centre Island have the best views of the skyline? How did you get there?
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2774 posts
367 upvotes
Vaughan
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Aug 6th, 2018 6:32 pm
In your opinion, which spot at Centre Island have the best views of the skyline? How did you get there?
Google this address. 61 Centre Island Dock, Toronto, ON

It will show you the exact location. Take the center island ferry. When you get off, turn right. There might be quite a few people there. I went again, last month. There were about 4 other people with tripods there, 5 if you include me. Here's my shot from last month.

ImageAnother year, another photo. by Phu Vong, on Flickr
Jun 26, 2004
500 posts
163 upvotes
If you want a bit of a framed shot, directly to the left when you get off the ferry works as well. You can get a good chunk of the skyline framed by trees on either side. It's busy though, so you won't be getting any long exposures.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3444 posts
762 upvotes
Toronto
Riverdale Park has a pretty neat view of the skyline too, with a bit of the Don Valley in front. I'd imagine it might look cool both in the late Spring when the foliage is lush and Fall when leaves are turning.

Anyone have any experience with the Leslieville Spit? I'm thinking Polson Pier probably has better views since it's closer, but what about the Spit?
Games: XBox Live: M1GO

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2007
2419 posts
171 upvotes
The Spit has amazing views of the lake and skyline.

It is fairly long so I would consider bringing a bike and when I went a few years ago I didn't see a single bench, which seems silly.