Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
1262 posts
86 upvotes
oshawa

best voip for 20$

I am looking to move to VOIP and have a budget of 20$ PM. What would be the best options?

Since i used it for work, i would prefer a more reliable provider.
if you dont have an answer, dont repond to my thread.
I need answers, and thats why i use redflagdeals forums.
30 replies
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
How many min a month do you figure you'll talk on it?

On a scale of 1 to 10 how technically knowledgeable and resourceful are you?

Any answer you get before you answer these is coming out of someone's arse.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3160 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
Cas77 wrote:
Any answer you get before you answer these is coming out of someone's arse.
He absolutely needs to hire a telecom engineer for this project.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
�� wrote: He absolutely needs to hire a telecom engineer for this project.
Not sure what your point is...
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
1262 posts
86 upvotes
oshawa
i am technically resouceful 8 but dont want to spend calling help desk for issues. i can set it up for first time and prefer a reliable service.
Jan 14, 2010
320 posts
108 upvotes
Ottawa
VOIP.ms has been rock solid for me for almost 2 years now. I paired it up for an OBi100 adapter and a nice set of cordless phones in the house.

I pay per minute, about ~0.01/minute, for all incoming and outgoing in Canada/US, and I pay $1 a month for the phone number (all prices in USD). I've only had to put in about $50 into the account so far over a two YEAR period. Incredible value for having a home phone from a service that has been extremely reliable.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1804 posts
476 upvotes
Vancouver
The best person to answer that question is you.

Sign up for accounts with the "big 3" BYOD providers: VoIP.ms, Callcentric, and Anveo. I believe all three allow you to evaluate their portal without making a payment. All three have business-oriented features. Anveo is the most reliable (has automatic geographically redundancy) but some find its user interface intimidating. VoIP.ms and Callcentric are marginally easier to use, but do not have the advanced call routing features of Anveo. They are quite reliable, but not as reliable as Anveo.

I'm not aware of any good managed VoIP services that have business plans under $20/month. If you're just making the occasional business call from home and this is not intended to be a business line (i.e. you won't be advertising your number for clients to call, you don't need a business phone book listing, and you won't be doing telemarketing for hours each day) you could probably use a residential plan. AcroVoice is an excellent provider of managed VoIP services. They will provide your equipment pre-configured so you won't need to learn much.

Ooma has a business plan that starts at $20. I don't care for Ooma but many other users do. http://ca.ooma.com/products/business
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
PianoGuy wrote: advanced call routing features of Anveo.
Could you elaborate?
Do they just have a better panel or backend?
I skip most of that through voip.ms and use my own Asterisks but wouldn't mind removing my own infrastructure in some sites.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1804 posts
476 upvotes
Vancouver
I can assure you Anveo has far, far more features than VoIP.ms. :)

Your Asterisk of course is limited only by your imagination - but Anveo is a close second.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
PianoGuy wrote: I can assure you Anveo has far, far more features than VoIP.ms. :)
But at a cost.

That's not to say I'm not interested. Hell I'm tempted to sign up there JUST for faxes.

Have you tested their SMS? SMS over SIP would be ideal as most providers only really (usefully) function via email.
But I'm not sure if I want to justify paying $7/month just for better SMS (and better faxes).
Banned
Jan 20, 2013
685 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
Ooma has a business solution, it's sold at best buy. I believe it's called ooma office.
Bill
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14958 posts
2921 upvotes
Toronto
PianoGuy wrote: I can assure you Anveo has far, far more features than VoIP.ms. :)

Your Asterisk of course is limited only by your imagination - but Anveo is a close second.
Anveo has the worst interface I've ever seen in my life but the features beat the crap out of VoIP.ms and they accept virtually any number for porting whereas VoIP.ms has a very finite list.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
junkone wrote: i am technically resouceful 8 but dont want to spend calling help desk for issues. i can set it up for first time and prefer a reliable service.
In that case you can get away with not using the expensive dummy-proof solutions...unless you don't want to invest an hour or so setting things up.

I've been with voip.ms for over 2 years...took me about an hour to setup and have not touched it since. I'm probably up to about $80 in those 2 years and my wife does 10min int'l calls to Europe every few months.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
1262 posts
86 upvotes
oshawa
I reviewed the several offers and three seems to be 3 types.
1. Nettalk /Magic jack where you pay ave 25-30$ per year but left at your own peril for support. I have seen this before and dont want this plan.
2. OOMa, Teksavvy, start.ca plans averaging 20$ pm for unlimited calling. I dont know how the service is when you have issues with VOIP or how stable they are over time
3. VOIP.ms kinda service PYG which are feature rich but again, what happens when there are issues. I would be spending over 2-3 hours daily on the phone and so expect costs to be around 30-40 $

Can anyone comment on #2 vs #3.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
junkone wrote: Can anyone comment on #2 vs #3.
I'd take category 3 any day of the week solely for SIP credentials and featuresets.
There's very rarely ever any issues and even if there are there's failover options (at least at voip.ms)
Jul 6, 2014
10 posts
Toronto, ON
Of course, you don't need to decide on just a single provider. It's quite easy to setup an Obihai or other VoIP device so that you can easily switch between multiple providers and take advantage of the best features of each one ;-)
Apr 28, 2017
41 posts
6 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
I use voip.ms along with a Cisco 112. Has been up and running great for 3 months. I do the pay as you go so my bill ends up being $0.99 to have the number, $4.50 for last months service and $1.50 for E911 service. $6.99 a month, use to pay $45 a month at Rogers.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)