Best voip option for data only iPhone

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2017 8:00 am
[OP]
Sep 18, 2004
476 posts
78 upvotes

Best voip option for data only iPhone

I know there are already many threads about this but I'm quite lost with all the options... I've looked into fongo, voip.ms, textnow, textplus, nextplus.

I already have a number that I would like to port over. Fongo's $25 onetime cost to port over seem very expensive and I read their reception for voice calls is spotty. Voip.ms seems very complicated to setup. Nextplus and textplus doesn't seem to be capable of porting Canadian numbers. Textnow seems okay but their premium plan to get rid of the costs is quite expensive. Which makes me curious... how often do the apps show up? And, is there a cost to port the number over?

Or, if you guys have any other suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
7 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
3518 posts
579 upvotes
Brampton ON
Do your homework first, before you go to that topic.
As-salamu alaykum
Freedom Mobile $40 10gb with F&F discount 2yrs Contract ZTE Grand X4
Virgin Mobile $47 4gb 2yrs Contract LGG6
Do A Math Before Signing Contract Buying Phone Outright (this will vary on your plan price & usage)

Jul 16, 2013
96 posts
18 upvotes
Fongo. I have been using it for 3 years now. No complaints. Great on iPhone
Mar 7, 2011
118 posts
50 upvotes
Fongo for sure. $25 is not much money for what you get with lifetime service. It's a good deal.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2503 posts
726 upvotes
Fongo since August on my iPhone 6s, it's amazing. Doesn't work great with an apple watch though.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb
Public Mobile $38/4gb
Koodo flaming hot 6s deal

Affordable wireless is possible, just takes some creativity.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4104 posts
462 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Airbum88 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 3:48 pm
I know there are already many threads about this but I'm quite lost with all the options... I've looked into fongo, voip.ms, textnow, textplus, nextplus.

I already have a number that I would like to port over. Fongo's $25 onetime cost to port over seem very expensive and I read their reception for voice calls is spotty. Voip.ms seems very complicated to setup. Nextplus and textplus doesn't seem to be capable of porting Canadian numbers. Textnow seems okay but their premium plan to get rid of the costs is quite expensive. Which makes me curious... how often do the apps show up? And, is there a cost to port the number over?

Or, if you guys have any other suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
I am happy with Textme. But I cannot compare with other options as I have not tried them

new-fido-data-textme-2075703/2/#p27386921
. Feel free to ask
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS & incoming call
[OP]
Sep 18, 2004
476 posts
78 upvotes
Thanks everyone. I've been trying out Fongo the best couple of days. Seems good. I need Fongo to grant me access to their Online Store before I can port my number over. Do you know how long it takes?

I want to get this done before next month starts because I want to cancel my current contract immediately. I am currently with Cityfone. I heard that if I cancel after the month starts, I won't be pro-rated and I will be billed for the whole month. Can anybody verify whether this is true?
Apr 17, 2014
509 posts
145 upvotes
Corunna, ON
It takes a good 7 to 10 business days to port your old number.Granting access to the store takes a day or two max.

If you are just letting your number go just cancel last day of the month regardless.