None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
1887 posts
242 upvotes
Toronto

Best voip option for slow speeds

I'm looking into voip options for my cell phone while travelling. The biggest criteria is that it has to work even when internet speeds (e.g., wifi in hotels, 3G) are not that great. I already have account with Fongo (Dell Voice) and FreePhoneLine, so I know I can just purchase configuration files for either one of them (probably FPL because I already have an ATA device). I know voip.ms is often highly recommended, but I'd rather have a free permanent DID number (instead of paying for it every month regardless of whether I need it or not). However, if it will be the most reliable under less than ideal circumstances, then I'd definitely consider it. Skype is out as it doesn't allow me to have a Canadian number. Am I missing any other options? Thanks.
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
6591 posts
724 upvotes
BC
Most all voip providers use the same underlying technology (except Skype), so there isn't one that is better suited than the other. Voip.ms may be somewhat preferable as you can always change it to use the nearest POP, but other than that there's no difference.
Dec 25, 2009
123 posts
16 upvotes
You’re going to require a provider which is in between the locations you plan to travel (or has a great connection from) and then it’s a matter of finding the right codec for the available bandwidth. Obviously you’re going to sacrifice something in exchange for this, and it’s likely going to be call quality (although you’ll likely still get by fine it’s certainly not going to be wideband HD audio of any kind!)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
16162 posts
3598 upvotes
If it were me, I'd still go with voip.ms.
With POPs everywhere you can choose whatever is closest to you.

FPL has a $50 fee which buys you a whole lot of months (upwards of 50 if you're in the correct rate center)
I have no idea what the deal with Dell Voice is so I can't comment.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
1887 posts
242 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for all the replies. Choosing voip.ms makes sense.
× < >