• Last Updated:
  • Jan 1st, 2018 10:30 pm
[OP]
Dec 2, 2016
8 posts
Toronto

Best warranty for camera lens?

Hello everyone:
Small background. I want to grab the 24-70mm f2.8 GM. Seeing that this is a very costly lens I want to make sure I protect my investment with a solid warrenty. I live in Toronto so I can go to Vistek, Henry, downtown camera and AdenCamera. I'm sure there are more stores however these are the ones I visited the most. The problem I'm having is that I'm unsure what which would have the best warranty for my needs. I travel I go though air ports and I carry my gear with me on the plane. I do take care of my gear in the past and never had any problems however those were cheap compared to this lens. So yeah can anyone give me their experience which any of the companies when handling any warranty claims. Weather it was your fault or the device just broke for no reason.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1702 posts
228 upvotes
loldart wrote:
Dec 31st, 2017 7:26 pm
Hello everyone:
Small background. I want to grab the 24-70mm f2.8 GM. Seeing that this is a very costly lens I want to make sure I protect my investment with a solid warrenty. I live in Toronto so I can go to Vistek, Henry, downtown camera and AdenCamera. I'm sure there are more stores however these are the ones I visited the most. The problem I'm having is that I'm unsure what which would have the best warranty for my needs. I travel I go though air ports and I carry my gear with me on the plane. I do take care of my gear in the past and never had any problems however those were cheap compared to this lens. So yeah can anyone give me their experience which any of the companies when handling any warranty claims. Weather it was your fault or the device just broke for no reason.
most things you worry about while using the lens or taking it on trips wont likely be covered by warranty. Just go with the dealer with the best price and test it in store before you pay.
Wedding & Child Photographer ~ happily photographing
[OP]
Dec 2, 2016
8 posts
Toronto
inzite wrote:
Dec 31st, 2017 10:49 pm
most things you worry about while using the lens or taking it on trips wont likely be covered by warranty. Just go with the dealer with the best price and test it in store before you pay.
Damn I was worried that would be the case. hmmm guess I will just go with the normal price. It at least saves me lot of money.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3017 posts
328 upvotes
Warranties are generally with the manufacturer, not the retailer unless you get an extended one.

Sigma has a good reputation for honouring warranty in Canada. I've used it twice on a lens that has a ten year warranty.
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
[OP]
Dec 2, 2016
8 posts
Toronto
neltron3030 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 9:44 am
Warranties are generally with the manufacturer, not the retailer unless you get an extended one.

Sigma has a good reputation for honouring warranty in Canada. I've used it twice on a lens that has a ten year warranty.
Sony only provided a 1 year manufacturer warranty. I checked with Henry however its seems to be an extended manufacturer warranty. So if I break it tough luck. I looked into vistek and they provided a 3 year plan however it does not extend the manufacturer warranty. Its more of a hi you break it ones and we will cover it. However it seems like its the same cost as be going to sony getting the lens fix. So not much savings. :| oh well guess I will just grab the cheap solution and get the lens with the credit card warranty.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1702 posts
228 upvotes
loldart wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 8:24 am
Damn I was worried that would be the case. hmmm guess I will just go with the normal price. It at least saves me lot of money.
yeah things like dents, dings and drops won't be covered by warranty anyways. :D
Wedding & Child Photographer ~ happily photographing
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2726 posts
529 upvotes
loldart wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 2:32 pm
Sony only provided a 1 year manufacturer warranty. I checked with Henry however its seems to be an extended manufacturer warranty. So if I break it tough luck. I looked into vistek and they provided a 3 year plan however it does not extend the manufacturer warranty. Its more of a hi you break it ones and we will cover it. However it seems like its the same cost as be going to sony getting the lens fix. So not much savings. :| oh well guess I will just grab the cheap solution and get the lens with the credit card warranty.
Gotta pay to play!

As for warranties, Sigma is the only company that does not anger me...also a big plus it's in Markham (Gentec). 10 Year warranty, fast turn around time (within 48 hours!), and friendly techs!

Canon...on the far side of the GTA, looooong line up, 4-6 week turn around unless you're CPS (Pro Status)