Careers

Best way to address unknown person thru cover letter?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2006 11:59 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 7, 2006
161 posts

Best way to address unknown person thru cover letter?

If you're applying for a position, but the person to contact is not disclosed in the job application, which way would you prefer to write the letter to:

1) Dear Sir / Madam
2) To Whom It May Concern
3) Dear XX Company (sounds too cheesy and informal)

4) Other?
I am the wiz0rd.
24 replies
Nov 21, 2003
848 posts
2 upvotes
Option 1 is best of those 3, but if you are serious about the job, then make the effort to find out the person's name.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15155 posts
1581 upvotes
mr.wiz0rd wrote:If you're applying for a position, but the person to contact is not disclosed in the job application, which way would you prefer to write the letter to
Have you tried social engineering yet? Call up the switch board and ask for the department ;)

If possible... sweet talk the receptionist into giving you the mailing address.

Worked for me a bunch of times ... :D
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
2470 posts
215 upvotes
trusoulja2g wrote:Option 1 is best of those 3, but if you are serious about the job, then make the effort to find out the person's name.
+1
Feb 2, 2004
112 posts
Mississauga
Like everyone said, getting the person's name is the best way to go. Coolspot has the right idea, if you ask nicely most receptionists will give you the person's name.

If you can't get the name then #1 is the best, or you could also write: "Dear hiring manager,"
Sep 2, 2002
661 posts
1 upvote
AB
red_roses101 wrote:I was writing some letters a while back....is there an alternative to saying "Dear,"...it just sounds like a love letter....dear.
That's the accepted, formal way to start a letter. Always, no matter what, or to whom the letter is directed. Whether to your lover, your boss, your best friend, or your worst enemy, it's always "dear".
Banned
Jun 29, 2006
1201 posts
1 upvote
With my bf B40
Seveneighty wrote:That's the accepted, formal way to start a letter. Always, no matter what, or to whom the letter is directed. Whether to your lover, your boss, your best friend, or your worst enemy, it's always "dear".
so if I'm talking to my Boss one day, is it OK if I called him or her dear?
Like: Dear, we need the TPS reports prepared for Monday.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15155 posts
1581 upvotes
red_roses101 wrote:so if I'm talking to my Boss one day, is it OK if I called him or her dear?
Dear so and so is fine for a cover letter.

What you're referring to... is a Memo - in that case, To: Ms. Bossy. is more appropriate.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
3497 posts
287 upvotes
As someone in a position to receive and read applications, I'll tell you that it makes no difference. If you ask, anyone at the company will give you the name you're looking for but when I read through your cover letter, it'll make no difference to me whether you put "To Whom It May Concern" or "To (name here)." That little line isn't significant. But that's only me.

coolspot wrote:Have you tried social engineering yet? Call up the switch board and ask for the department ;)

If possible... sweet talk the receptionist into giving you the mailing address.

Worked for me a bunch of times ... :D
Sep 2, 2002
661 posts
1 upvote
AB
red_roses101 wrote:so if I'm talking to my Boss one day, is it OK if I called him or her dear?
Uh, I thought we were talking about written letters?
× < >