• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2017 1:45 pm
[OP]
Jul 23, 2008
488 posts
40 upvotes

Best way to backup photos

Hi !

I've got about 90gb of photos that I want to backup. What would be the best way ? Some of them are already on dvd,

Options:

1) some thumb drives
2) all dvds
3) Usb hdd
4) Cloud membership (which one ?)

Another option ?

Thnaks a lot !
21 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11388 posts
1016 upvotes
Kanata
Local backup to multiple drives, keeping them in separate locations while updating them regularly, and reputable cloud storage.
Note that no method is really perfect, so you need to use multiple methods concurrently.
[OP]
Jul 23, 2008
488 posts
40 upvotes
Local method....usb thumb drive or hdd?

Good cloud storage...which one ?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6625 posts
922 upvotes
For local, use both. In theory, flash is more durable but could lose memory, hdd wouldn't as much but since it is mechanical, anything inside could break without warning.

For cloud, try Flickr,1st 1TB is free.

Others ?? Blu-ray Disc, perhaps ??
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11388 posts
1016 upvotes
Kanata
I put my data on multiple hard drives, store them in different locations across the city (home, work, parents). I rotate them about once every 2 months, depending on how often I have pictures to update. I use flickr for online since it's 1TB free.
Nov 8, 2006
528 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto
I use a NAS, with 2 backup HDD, along with an offline portable drive.
Feb 29, 2008
146 posts
17 upvotes
Brampton
if you have Amazon prime, you can use their photo storage service
I use google photos. Unlimited "high quality (16 megapixels or less)" storage otherwise I think they give you 10 GB for photos exceeding 16 MP and videos exceeding 1080p
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7131 posts
428 upvotes
Is flickr quality high quality or does it limit them or?

Why use Google over Flickr?
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1282 posts
260 upvotes
Toronto
usb drives and dvds are horrible. They break often. DVDs generally are not designed to work forever. Many of my 10+ year old DVDs are no longer working. Back up on external hard drives. Easy and relatively cheap. Cloud storage is good as an addition to hard drives but I would never trust it as a sole back up place.
Last edited by demi2004 on Aug 8th, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri Markine Wedding Photography: My 500pix||My Flickr||My Pinterest||My Instagram
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11388 posts
1016 upvotes
Kanata
speedyforme wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 4:04 pm
Is flickr quality high quality or does it limit them or?

Why use Google over Flickr?
Flickr = 1TB free at high res.
Google = Free at reduced resolution. Otherwise, there is a cost associated
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2010
4633 posts
1208 upvotes
Canada
Both flickr and Google have no proper way to organize via nested folders.

Amazon Prime is better in this way, too bad they took away the $12/year unlimited photos plan. You have to get $79/year Prime now
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2013
3805 posts
728 upvotes
Halifax
demi2004 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 7:24 pm
usb drives and dvds are horrible. They break often. DVDs generally are not design to work forever. Many of my 10+ year old DVDs are no longer working. Back up on external hard drives. Easy and relatively cheap. Cloud storage is good as an addition to hard drives but I would never trust it as a sole back up place.
They created backup/archive disk for this reason. They last 1000+ years.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2008
1605 posts
174 upvotes
I use Lightroom to manage my RAW so I just mirror the catalog and raw files to an external drive, feels like its the easiest way and you retain the organization feature using the catalog
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
3047 posts
479 upvotes
Vancouver
Use a hard drive dock and backup to multiple bare drives. If you have USB3.0 or 3.1 on your desktop/laptop try to ensure the dock supports UASP.

I use one of these lay flat types because I got tired of knocking over my toaster style dock when it had drives in it. It blows away the previous dock I had providing somewhere between 180 and 190 MB/s transfer rate with my photo & video folders. With folders having lots of smaller files it usually transfers at about half that rate.

https://www.amazon.ca/Plugable-Hard-Dri ... =dock+uasp

Toaster style
https://www.amazon.ca/Inateck-Docking-S ... =dock+uasp

I have been mostly using Beyond Compare (by Scooter Software) for comparing folders and copying over any files that change.

https://www.scootersoftware.com/

However Win10 has some great background software to back up files as you go. Another piece of software I've used to automate backups was....

SyncBack
https://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/ ... k-hub.html

Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4193 posts
366 upvotes
Markham
I use google. My problem with flickr is one day they file bankrupt. I'd only trust a few companies on this kind important backup. Those companies like MS, google, Amazon or Apple