Home & Garden

Best way to enlarge hole in brickwall from 5" to 8"?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2013 7:08 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
2245 posts
425 upvotes
bubuski wrote:
Jan 20th, 2013 11:51 am

Range hood installed. I had a wall joist in my path so I had to use the flexline that came with the hood and snake it bit to the right
Ugh @flexline!! <<< like a grease trap!

Can you not use 2 pieces of elbows?? I did.

BTW: proud of you saving that 50 bux...
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1036 posts
209 upvotes
Mississauga
Hexavalent wrote:
Jan 20th, 2013 12:58 pm
Looks good, I knew you could do it.
Thanks. It surprising broke apart easily with the chisel so I got excited and made minor mistakes. It worked out in the end though
t3359 wrote:
Jan 20th, 2013 1:24 pm
Nice fan - very modern, like a Cylon :)
Thanks, was my second choice but scored a good deal on ebay
Samwfive wrote:
Jan 20th, 2013 7:45 pm
Ugh @flexline!! <<< like a grease trap!

Can you not use 2 pieces of elbows?? I did.

BTW: proud of you saving that 50 bux...
I thought about it but ended up using the flexline that came with the range hood.

I looked in a few hardware stores but the 8" elbow which I had pictured and hoped to use was not adjustable like the 5 or 6" ones. It was just a rigid 90 degrees and not meant for a slight offset. Using two of them would not have worked in this case, but I plan to check whats available at homedepot when I go to Buffalo next
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
3387 posts
382 upvotes
Aurora
Flex duct is a really bad idea.

Much more resistance and a significant fire hazard from grease build-up.
That's the end of my rant.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
2245 posts
425 upvotes
bubuski wrote:
Jan 15th, 2013 7:33 pm
bubuski wrote:
Jan 20th, 2013 9:40 pm
I thought about it but ended up using the flexline that came with the range hood.

I looked in a few hardware stores but the 8" elbow which I had pictured and hoped to use was not adjustable like the 5 or 6" ones. It was just a rigid 90 degrees and not meant for a slight offset. Using two of them would not have worked in this case, but I plan to check whats available at homedepot when I go to Buffalo next
Not according to your picture. The 8" elbow is made up of 3 sections. By my guestimate you would need 1 and 1/3 to complete the connection.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1036 posts
209 upvotes
Mississauga
Samwfive wrote:
Jan 20th, 2013 10:10 pm
Not according to your picture. The 8" elbow is made up of 3 sections. By my guestimate you would need 1 and 1/3 to complete the connection.
Yes that Elbow, it was 4 sections. Do you mean to cut a second elbow, attach and fit?
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1036 posts
209 upvotes
Mississauga
Samwfive wrote:
Jan 20th, 2013 10:10 pm
You are right. I just looked at the elbow this morning while having breakfast. I had been twisting the ends not realizing the two joints in the middle can be twisted further with more effort. When angled right, it seems I can get away with just one elbow.

I'll redo the venting and post pictures later this week. thanks for the advise.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1036 posts
209 upvotes
Mississauga
Completed again!!!

I had to drive to three homedepot and two Rona stores before I could find an 8" round straight duct at the 2nd Rona. It was about 5ft length and I only need about 12inches. I cut it to fit before an after the elbow.

Now it's time to enjoy my pizza and beer.

Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
1645 posts
540 upvotes
Kitchener
Looks great... now it's time for new cabinets, counter and backsplash... :razz:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1036 posts
209 upvotes
Mississauga
Jamie_Canuck wrote:
Jan 26th, 2013 10:08 pm
Haha. I wish. At the moment, a kitchen facelift is at the bottom of the list. 15-20years seems to be the age when newly built houses start needing TCL renovations.

Just re-did the roof and interlocking. Carpet and fresh coat of paint are in the works, then Windows are next, water heater is 16yrs old so now on borrowed time. Furnace and A/c are maintained well so still going strong for their age without issues. I can see how homeowners can get overwhelmed sell off and buy new or a condominium
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
2245 posts
425 upvotes
Jamie_Canuck wrote:
Jan 26th, 2013 10:08 pm
LMAO...u basterd!

Er....OP, I forgot to remind you to use SPRAY FOAM before duct taping the cabinet....If there is not much room then you need to drill a few accomodating holes. Why? It's because the air is traveling upwards outside from the weeping holes to the playwood...remember the brick is merely a veneer. There's a space between the brick and the plywood.

If there's no draft then forget the above.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1036 posts
209 upvotes
Mississauga
Samwfive wrote:
Jan 30th, 2013 2:10 pm
LMAO...u basterd!

Er....OP, I forgot to remind you to use SPRAY FOAM before duct taping the cabinet....If there is not much room then you need to drill a few accomodating holes. Why? It's because the air is traveling upwards outside from the weeping holes to the playwood...remember the brick is merely a veneer. There's a space between the brick and the plywood.

If there's no draft then forget the above.
I didn't notice your reply before.

There was still lots of insulation back there on the exterior wall, I just folded it back enough to fit the duct. I think it was pink, there there was yellow insulation wraped around the old duct which I reused to keep the opening air tight.

There is a little draft on very windy days but it is coming from the duct itself, the center. I guess it is normal because there is an 8" opening to the exterior wall. I tested the flap and it is working.

The draft is similar if not better than how it was with the old wall cap. The old 5" cap did not have a flap.
× < >