Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
11978 posts
1839 upvotes
London

Best way to fix corrupted drives?

Overnight I had 2 drives get corrupted in an external dock.

I've verified the drives themselves aren't being read anymore by installing them in my computer.

I ran a chkdsk on both drives and when I rebooted the computer after installing them internally, windows was running a drive repair.

Still not able to access either

any suggestions?
4 replies
Jan 12, 2017
269 posts
86 upvotes
The probability that both drives failed in one night is quite low. Suspect at this point is the external doc (I've had this issue a few times with removable media cases) turns out those small fingers on the drive connectors are not meant for the abuse that a floppy disk would take. The alignment of those connectors is so critical, the removable media makers will not sell new connectors and thus, my focus would be on that doc as the villain. With that in mind, a proper format will rejuvenate although a proper software tool to ensure integrity would be advisable. Recovery of some files might be possible with some recovery software, don't spend a lot of time here, go for some of the trial packages in test mode (no writing to the HD) and see if there's enough to salvage to justify the purchase price of the software.

Good luck and toss that external doc, go for internal drives or a NAS set-up. (external drives cases have their own proprietary hardware that is usually not compatible with recovery tools).
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
11978 posts
1839 upvotes
London
PatK621 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 1:03 pm
The probability that both drives failed in one night is quite low. Suspect at this point is the external doc (I've had this issue a few times with removable media cases) turns out those small fingers on the drive connectors are not meant for the abuse that a floppy disk would take. The alignment of those connectors is so critical, the removable media makers will not sell new connectors and thus, my focus would be on that doc as the villain. With that in mind, a proper format will rejuvenate although a proper software tool to ensure integrity would be advisable. Recovery of some files might be possible with some recovery software, don't spend a lot of time here, go for some of the trial packages in test mode (no writing to the HD) and see if there's enough to salvage to justify the purchase price of the software.

Good luck and toss that external doc, go for internal drives or a NAS set-up. (external drives cases have their own proprietary hardware that is usually not compatible with recovery tools).
Thanks for the input. I'll check some of those out.

I'm hopeful the files on my photos drive at least will be recoverable. ckhdsk sees that there are over 300k files on the drive.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
3688 posts
1389 upvotes
Toronto
Viper98 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 2:52 pm
Thanks for the input. I'll check some of those out.

I'm hopeful the files on my photos drive at least will be recoverable. ckhdsk sees that there are over 300k files on the drive.
If chkdsk found 300k files, you can use chkdsk /f to fix and recover the files. Be warned, you will have 300k files named foundfile.001 ~ etc and it will be one hump of mess in the root directory.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
11978 posts
1839 upvotes
London
chkdsk /f isn't doing anything for me

What's weird is I can see the drive and the files are totally intact. I downloaded minitool power data recovery and it is seeing the drive contents and everything perfectly. Putting another drive in my dock worked fine. It's just windows refuses to acknowledge that there is anything on the 2 drives I had there.

I can't even run an error check because Windows just says "the disk check could not be performed because Windows can't access the disk."

I think I'm going to copy the contents of my drive using this software over to another drive over night and then just see if I can do a fresh format tomorrow.