Personal Finance

Best way to garnish money from defendant?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2018 5:26 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 28, 2015
324 posts
38 upvotes
Nobleton, ON
duderaf wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 8:06 pm
I don't think any bank will give you any info as it would probably be against some privacy laws, I am sure you would feel the same if it was you and someone was calling banks asking for your info. As you won see what the court suggests you do and go from there.
arrh... it seems to be a tough call even though I won the case.... the other option maybe find out his employment....

do you think putting lien on his vehicle/house is a better option? at least I am pretty sure he owns that house and the vehicle.
Jun 13, 2018
579 posts
425 upvotes
xuanzh wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 8:20 pm
arrh... it seems to be a tough call even though I won the case.... the other option maybe find out his employment....

do you think putting lien on his vehicle/house is a better option? at least I am pretty sure he owns that house and the vehicle.
Anyone can post a lien on someone elses property, it's not that hard to do. Whether you can keep it on is another question. If you don't do it lawfully the court can dismiss it "with prejudice" then you have nothing and will have spent cash for zero return.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6828 posts
3983 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
cgtlky wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 7:37 pm
If that is the case, then what is the used of going to small claim court?
Not much. If they don't want to pay, the odds are you aren't getting your money.