Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
2005 posts
696 upvotes
Montreal

Best way to get Ipad cheaper?

Mom asked me to get a new Ipad 2 Air for her, but she lives in states. Is it cheaper for me to buy it here in Canada and then send it to her, or purchase it at Apple online in States and just ship? I saw as well, that if I shop through Air Miles portal, I can get air miles back, does this make price lower than buying directly from Apple? Also have been checking Apple online sites for refurbished, but it seems like every time I check, there's nothing available.
Any tips?

thanks
10 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11338 posts
5527 upvotes
Vaughan
Sure it's cheaper buying in States due to currency exchange and shipping to her. iPad prices are controlled by Apple, you won't get much discount.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22154 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
I would recommend looking at the used market because you can save quite a bit. Just make sure to get a unit with a few months of AppleCare.

I got 4 iPad Air with cellular and 1 iPad Mini. They all had at least 6 months of Applecare and I save a few hundred dollars on each unit by going used.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
2005 posts
696 upvotes
Montreal
audit13 wrote: I would recommend looking at the used market because you can save quite a bit. Just make sure to get a unit with a few months of AppleCare.

I got 4 iPad Air with cellular and 1 iPad Mini. They all had at least 6 months of Applecare and I save a few hundred dollars on each unit by going used.
Where did you find these used units with apple care?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22154 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
I found the units on Kijiji and Craigslist. I see lots of Air and Air2 for sale. Just make sure you get the serial # before hand to check to any remaining warranty and that the unit is not locked to an iCloud account.

Check warranty here: https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

iCloud Activation check: https://www.icloud.com/activationlock/

The last unit I purchased was in December of 2014. It was a mint condition space grey cellular 16GB Air for $400. It's warranty expires on October 15, 2015. The same model new is $549 + tax.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
2005 posts
696 upvotes
Montreal
audit13 wrote: I found the units on Kijiji and Craigslist. I see lots of Air and Air2 for sale. Just make sure you get the serial # before hand to check to any remaining warranty and that the unit is not locked to an iCloud account.

Check warranty here: https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

iCloud Activation check: https://www.icloud.com/activationlock/

The last unit I purchased was in December of 2014. It was a mint condition space grey cellular 16GB Air for $400. It's warranty expires on October 15, 2015. The same model new is $549 + tax.

Great info, thanks for the detailed response :)
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Can you not wire the money to your mom and she can buy one herself? Why would you buy one and risk the shipping.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
2005 posts
696 upvotes
Montreal
carmaster wrote: Can you not wire the money to your mom and she can buy one herself? Why would you buy one and risk the shipping.
That's what I'm probably going to do. Use her CC to order the Ipad from a supplier in States and have them deliver to her.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto
gogoblender wrote: That's what I'm probably going to do. Use her CC to order the Ipad from a supplier in States and have them deliver to her.
you should probably just call her and walk her through the order (its mighty simple on the apple site)..

no point ordering via canadian ip to your moms us address with her card. seems weird to go through all that when she can do it?
Banned
Jan 14, 2015
1586 posts
84 upvotes
What happens if it's locked to an I cloud account? Does it happen after.you log in?
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
spinningpiledriver wrote: What happens if it's locked to an I cloud account? Does it happen after.you log in?
then you can not restore the iPad.
can not use the find my iPad feature
and who ever owns the iPad can see where you are located (with find my iPad tool)
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)