• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2017 2:51 pm
[OP]
Nov 18, 2013
123 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto

Best Way to Get Rid of Furniture

We are redoing our basement and want to get rid of our existing furniture (2 sofas, 2 each chairs, big plasma tv). Neither my husband nor I can lift anything so we were thinking of hiring "just junk" to pick it all up. I hate the thought of just throwing the stuff away though, as it's in decent shape so I looked at furniture donations. Problem is they only pick up from the driveway. Just junk seems to solve the problem of moving the stuff up from the basement and getting rid of it but I was hoping there's another way where it ends up being donated.

Does anybody have ideas?

Thx
14 replies
Mar 18, 2015
124 posts
23 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Kijiji.
You'll get a few bucks out of it and they'll come get it.
I bought a few good pieces of furniture on kijiji in the past.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2231 posts
906 upvotes
restie wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 12:16 pm
Kijiji.
You'll get a few bucks out of it and they'll come get it.
I bought a few good pieces of furniture on kijiji in the past.
I second kijiji with one caveat. Kijiji is littered with old furniture. Everyday there are tons and tons of new postings. Depending on the condition of the furniture there's a good chance you won't get any takers if you're putting it up for sale. Plus you'll likely deal with tons of people asking you questions, tons of no-shows, etc. But if you put it on kijiji using the free section, you'll likely have someone come and pick it up asap.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
5285 posts
774 upvotes
Maple
Here in BuySaleTrade (Free Stuff section). I got rid my tube TV, DVD, VCR, tablet.
pinkmanwhite wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 12:11 pm
We are redoing our basement and want to get rid of our existing furniture (2 sofas, 2 each chairs, big plasma tv). Neither my husband nor I can lift anything so we were thinking of hiring "just junk" to pick it all up. I hate the thought of just throwing the stuff away though, as it's in decent shape so I looked at furniture donations. Problem is they only pick up from the driveway. Just junk seems to solve the problem of moving the stuff up from the basement and getting rid of it but I was hoping there's another way where it ends up being donated.

Does anybody have ideas?

Thx
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2110 posts
325 upvotes
Montreal
Whatever you do, make sure the people hauling it out, don't damage your house...
Koodo & Tangerine customer since 2006
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1017 posts
337 upvotes
Alliston, ON
...Or don't hurt themselves while inside your house.

Can you not get family members to bring get it to the curb for you if you and your husband can't lift it.
[OP]
Nov 18, 2013
123 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
schade wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 2:03 pm
...Or don't hurt themselves while inside your house.
This is exactly what I was thinking....some scammer from Kijiji arranges to move the furniture out and then conveniently falls or something on our property. I decided to get a junk removal service and just get it done. They say they donate whenever possible so I'm good with that.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
1986 posts
480 upvotes
Paris
I sold a couch set on kijiji once and got home about 10 mins late but my wife let the dude in to see it. Hercules decided to lift it himself and put a leg through the wall as I walked in the door. I was f-ing pissed. Was our first house and I had patched a TONNE of walls to get them perfect.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2231 posts
906 upvotes
Jerico wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 1:19 am
I sold a couch set on kijiji once and got home about 10 mins late but my wife let the dude in to see it. Hercules decided to lift it himself and put a leg through the wall as I walked in the door. I was f-ing pissed. Was our first house and I had patched a TONNE of walls to get them perfect.
Wow that sucks...did you get compensation for the damage at least?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
8996 posts
1019 upvotes
Toronto
crystallight wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 12:09 pm
Probably just a "sorry mann"
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
1986 posts
480 upvotes
Paris
crystallight wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 12:09 pm
Sad puppy dog eyes. Was a 3 piece set and he "accepted" help for the other two pieces.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
2805 posts
507 upvotes
Ottawa
Jerico wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 1:19 am
I'd be more concerned at your wife's willingness to let some random dude from Kijiji into your home.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
1986 posts
480 upvotes
Paris
dirtmover wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 6:21 am
I'd be more concerned at your wife's willingness to let some random dude from Kijiji into your home.
My wife could kick his and my arse at the same time while making dinner. No worries there.

Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2004
1581 posts
14 upvotes
Habitat for Humanity and they give you a tax receipt if they are able to sell it.