Computers & Electronics

Best way to go through 10000 songs and delete on the fly?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2018 12:07 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2003
1015 posts
57 upvotes

Best way to go through 10000 songs and delete on the fly?

I have a lot of songs i want to go through fast. Play the first few seconds and decide to delete it on the spot or keep it. What's the fastest way of doing this? thx :)

Also how would you go about deleting duplicates? Alot of my songs have numbers in front of them and i would like to get rid of those without doing it one by one.
6 replies
Mar 29, 2015
222 posts
72 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Playing the song for a few seconds and deleting going from top down by date is usually how I do it. In terms of making it faster I have no idea to speed it up. Although it usually only takes me about 6-8sec per song to do.

Deleting duplicates is also a manual process, but I sort by artist and use ctrl/command to select duplicates and delete at once. Sorting by artist makes it easy for me to spot them, you may want to try by song.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2003
1015 posts
57 upvotes
what program are you using to listen/delete from? Windows media player will not allow you to delete while its playing.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
2969 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
jechin1 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 6:30 pm
Deleting duplicates is also a manual process, but I sort by artist and use ctrl/command to select duplicates and delete at once. Sorting by artist makes it easy for me to spot them, you may want to try by song.
Be careful though. You might have the same songs by the same artists that fundamentally different. E.g. studio version, unplugged, live in concert, recorded with a different artist / band.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2007
2691 posts
484 upvotes
Markham
Not fast but on Foobar to delete while playing
Right click mouse
File Operations
Delete file
Yes/No
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5122 posts
1017 upvotes
GTA
Duplicate Cleaner Free.

PlotPlayer, Shift-Delete.

Or load phone and do it on the subway if you commute.
Mar 29, 2015
222 posts
72 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
equalizr wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 6:39 pm
what program are you using to listen/delete from? Windows media player will not allow you to delete while its playing.
I use spotify/itunes. If that's the case I would keep one hand spread across the keyboard on the delete and forward button and use the mouse hand to skip a few seconds into the song.
ROYinTO wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 11:50 pm
Be careful though. You might have the same songs by the same artists that fundamentally different. E.g. studio version, unplugged, live in concert, recorded with a different artist / band.
Usually those versions are marked in the title and artist fields so they are easy to distinguish. Also although I like to sort by artist, I still look at the complete song info before deleting.