Cell Phones

Best way to listen to iPhone music in car...?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 19th, 2012 10:46 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
1757 posts
159 upvotes

Best way to listen to iPhone music in car...?

Hoping to get some opinions on the best way to listen to your iPhone music though your car speakers?
Is something like this the best thing to purchase for your car....or is there something better I should be looking at? Any suggestions? http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... a754f2en02
15 replies
Aug 18, 2009
326 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
Best way is to stream via Bluetooth :)

But if your radio doesn't support Bluetooth or have an AUX jack input then I guess FM transmitter is the only way to go.
Deal Guru
Jan 31, 2007
11625 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
these are you option

If your car has a 3mm audio jack then that is best

then fm transmitter or cassette adapter.
[QUOTE]One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure
[/QUOTE]

PSN: Aznkid2000
3000th post Dec 28 07 9:58pm
10,000 post Jan 17 2011 9:45pm
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
1582 posts
329 upvotes
Calgary
It depends what kind of inputs you have in your car. If there's an auxiliary input, its a no brainer to buy an aux cable.

If your car has a cassette player then the next thing I would recommend would be a cassette adapter. Something like that: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... fc7c50en02

I use one for my car and it works great.

If your car doesn't have those two things, then yes, you would have to get a FM transmitter like the one you linked. The benefit of having an FM transmitter is that it charges the device and plays it with one cable. Using the two methods above, if you want to charge your iPhone you would have to get a car charger. Not a big deal and you would still be saving a lot of money that way but some people hate it being so messy with all the cables.

Hope that helps! :D
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15070 posts
741 upvotes
Woodbridge
VertigoM wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 9:56 pm

But if your radio doesn't support Bluetooth or have an AUX jack input then I guess FM transmitter is the only way to go.
+1

I have both but use AUX to save Battery Life.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
6530 posts
262 upvotes
York
Our car is oldish and doesn't have bluetooth or an aux port so I used a cassette adapter and it works fine. You might hear the cassette a bit during silent parts of the song or while one song ends and another begins but it's fine for a commute to work and back.
Nov 29, 2011
724 posts
127 upvotes
Milton
VertigoM wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 9:56 pm

Unless it's new with the iPhone 5 or iOS 6, you cannot stream music from your iPhone to your car stereo. I tried this with my iPhone 4 and after both first hand attempts and research, it is not possible. You can only sync the phone and use Bluetooth for voice/phone calls and text message indication.

I've also use FM transmitters and they can be great when working, but are generally a pain if you're traveling a distance of even 30-40km. I'd often get interference when stopped at certain traffic lights, and you need pretty much 2-3 stations to rely on even if just driving around in the GTA, like say from Oakville to Brampton, or Mississauga to Brampton (where I lived when I had it).

The best option by far is to use either an iPod connector or AUX cable. If your car is 2006-07 or newer, it really should have one since even economy cars have at least had an AUX cable since about that that time. Newer ones also have a USB connection.

But for myself, with a 2003 Camry I installed a deck with iPod/USB and AUX, and the iPod connection is fantastic. It's quick to browse through playlists and podcasts, browsing can be done via the deck display (so no risk of getting ticket for fiddling with phone like with an AUX cable), it charges while it plays, and most of all it sounds far better than FM transmitters (though sound between USB and AUX is really the same).

It's not the cheapest option, probably looking at $200 including install for a low-end deck with AUX/USB, but it was probably one of the best purchases I've ever made. Love it.
Apr 11, 2011
165 posts
17 upvotes
evosero wrote:
Dec 18th, 2012 5:40 pm
Unless it's new with the iPhone 5 or iOS 6, you cannot stream music from your iPhone to your car stereo. I tried this with my iPhone 4 and after both first hand attempts and research, it is not possible. You can only sync the phone and use Bluetooth for voice/phone calls and text message indication.
Just a note to say that my iPhone 4 plays music very well through the stereo system with my wife's 2012 Sienna. So it might be possible with certain vehicles. The phone works also but I cannot upload the contacts to the van's system.

This is also not a reply to the OP since he probably doesn't have a car with Bluetooth. :-) But now it is... I purchased a few FM transmitters and most seemed to have frequency problems. In the end we just listened to the radio. :-)

So direct connect would be best with Bluetooth, if possible, would be easy and good quality.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
1145 posts
79 upvotes
Use an audio cable and plug into your deck ...
Signature removed for violating the rules.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
6378 posts
623 upvotes
Ontario
I've always used an AUX cable. But then again, I still prefer cabled ear buds over a bluetooth cyborg ear attachment, so maybe I'm old fashioned. :)
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1279 posts
87 upvotes
onlineharvest wrote:
Dec 18th, 2012 11:03 pm
I've always used an AUX cable. But then again, I still prefer cabled ear buds over a bluetooth cyborg ear attachment, so maybe I'm old fashioned. :)
Is it legal to drive with headphones on?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
6378 posts
623 upvotes
Ontario
kitty wrote:
Dec 19th, 2012 2:25 am
Is it legal to drive with headphones on?
sure, from what I know.
its ear buds, not headphones, if that matters
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
6378 posts
623 upvotes
Ontario
Gee wrote:
Dec 19th, 2012 5:51 am
If an ambulance is behind you with the sirens going, how do you hear it with the music cranked up?
LOL. I don't listen to headphone music THAT loud!
However, first responder technology has been developing lately, there is a "feel" to their sirens now, almost like a slight pounding on the heart.
But I don't listen to music that loud for it to be a concern!

Over the AUX cable, well, that's a different story. :)
Nov 29, 2011
724 posts
127 upvotes
Milton
bobmacgolf wrote:
Dec 18th, 2012 6:26 pm
Just a note to say that my iPhone 4 plays music very well through the stereo system with my wife's 2012 Sienna. So it might be possible with certain vehicles. The phone works also but I cannot upload the contacts to the van's system.

This is also not a reply to the OP since he probably doesn't have a car with Bluetooth. :-) But now it is... I purchased a few FM transmitters and most seemed to have frequency problems. In the end we just listened to the radio. :-)

So direct connect would be best with Bluetooth, if possible, would be easy and good quality.
Did you do anything special, like tricks or jailbreaking or anything? Or you just synced it up and then it was good to go? I guess though you'd still have to control it via the iPhone (play/pause, select playlist, etc), or can you via the vehicle? If the latter, that's awesome.

I tried it with an aftermarket Bluetooth deck and a 2010 (or 2011) Murano, and after getting frustrated I went online and it seemed everything either said you needed to jailbreak or that it wasn't possible.

It'd be good to know though if it's not at all the phone but the receiver. It'd be something I'd consider when getting my next car.
× < >