Automotive

Best Way To Rent Occasionally? How Can I Get A Good Rate?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2017 9:10 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
13383 posts
1082 upvotes
Toronto

Best Way To Rent Occasionally? How Can I Get A Good Rate?

I'm in Scarborough, ON

So from time to time, I see RFD'ers bragging about paying $10-20 (it seems) a day for a rental.

This seems incredibly cheap to me. How is it done?

So, my car got wrecked and I'm going to need a rental to car search. I can weekly/monthly rent if I want but I think it makes more sense if I just go day by day, because I may only need a day or two each week.

I was thinking of re-joining a car share program, like ZipCar or AutoShare, but within a few hours I will be at $40, which by the sounds of it, could have had a daily rental.

Tips of the trade? Website to use?
Call in? Online only? Use my credit card for insurance ...

I am also over 25 so should have access to the best rates (no under age premium).
"Deal of the Day" addict
Thread Summary
Looking for tips from the pros!
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7314 posts
1043 upvotes
the entrrprise 12.99 weekend special runs after labour day until before victoria day. Discount will occasionally send out coupon codes for $10 (Or $13 long weekends) if you are on the email list, some on wekeends that dont count for enterprise (highly unlikely in July). Not all locations aprticapte in the deals

Other then that, check for online quotes whcih can change everyday. Typically for the upcomming wekeend the lowest price is most often Wed, but cna be Tuesday. If demand is low it can keep falling, and you can always rebook at the lower rate (though enterprise is starting to rollout "pay now" option in Canada for a slight discount, where you cant cancel/rebook at the last minute)

I dont haave access to budget/hertz so dont pay attention but they have weekend deals too
Last edited by zoro69 on Jun 30th, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
13383 posts
1082 upvotes
Toronto
Great tips, I appreciate the info.
It would likely be for 1 or 2 days during the week, not weekends.

I would love a $12.99 DAY but, we'll see what happens. I'll keep on top of that Enterprise thread as well.
"Deal of the Day" addict
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7314 posts
1043 upvotes
Unlikely you'll get $13 weekday nor close, definitely not in summer. They have the low rates on weekends because there are fewer cars out to business travellers and insurance cos try and get repairs done so they dont have to pay for an extra weekend. The entire industry lowered their car inventory and raised rates to make up for the business they have been losing to uber