Off Topic Archive

Locked: Best way to sell pair of eyeglasses frames?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 2nd, 2011 9:44 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 2, 2010
184 posts

Best way to sell pair of eyeglasses frames?

Hi all,

So I bought a pair of IC! Berlin eyeglasses today, had them ordered and shipped from Germany - filled with my prescription and everything. Now (being stupid, undecisive, flaky me) I've decided I don't like my frames anymore (or rather how they suit my face). They're beautiful frames, screwless, super sleek. Just don't look as good on me as they do in the picture ads... lol.

Anyways, I was just wondering what you guys think is the best way to sell these off - they're brand new, authentic (obviously), and currently have my prescription lens. They retail for $435 + tax for just the frames themselves with no lens. I'm probably going to take a hit on this, and look to sell for about $350 give or take.

Anyone with any recommendations? I'm thinking posting on Craigslist/Kijiji won't get a whole lot of attention since people generally don't sell eyeglasses frames these sites. Maybe eBay?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated - Thanks!
Share:
18 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2010
1903 posts
183 upvotes
eBay
Sep 30, 2001
25652 posts
4871 upvotes
kdub09 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2011 12:08 am
Anyone with any recommendations?

Craigs, Kijiji, and RFD (etc). It's free so you have nothing to lose. If that doesn't work then use eBay as your last resort.

Include the measurements of the frame and take plenty of pics.

Good luck (but yeah you're going to take a hit on those designer frames)
Don't talk about it, be about it
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2104 posts
102 upvotes
Regina
It's up to you, but this is just my personal opinion...... I know it's RFD, but I've always donated my old ones. Frames aren't worth that much, it's the lenses themselves that are worth quite a bit. Most of the name brand frames that can be had at Costco are below $100 anyway. Glasses are such a personal item and so much of what looks good is based on personal taste that I doubt it would even be worth your while to sell them.

Understand this as well, most people that you're targeting will be using a health plan. By buying yours, they may not be qualified for reimbursement which significantly lowers the value of your glasses.

To me buying used glasses is a lot like buying used oil from someones car. Even if it's only been used a couple of days, I would still rather buy new.
[OP]
Jan 2, 2010
184 posts
antichrysler wrote:
Feb 28th, 2011 8:50 am
It's up to you, but this is just my personal opinion...... I know it's RFD, but I've always donated my old ones. Frames aren't worth that much, it's the lenses themselves that are worth quite a bit. Most of the name brand frames that can be had at Costco are below $100 anyway. Glasses are such a personal item and so much of what looks good is based on personal taste that I doubt it would even be worth your while to sell them.

Understand this as well, most people that you're targeting will be using a health plan. By buying yours, they may not be qualified for reimbursement which significantly lowers the value of your glasses.

To me buying used glasses is a lot like buying used oil from someones car. Even if it's only been used a couple of days, I would still rather buy new.

Unfortunately my frames cost $435 + tax... they're a designer pair, so it's a tough pill to swallow to just donate outright right now, haha. But thanks for the suggestion. And thanks to everyone else too - I'll try selling online via the usual avenues and hope for the least damage.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2004
6964 posts
97 upvotes
New Westminster
keep them as a spare??

edit: just to add, I would not buy used glasses personally. It might actually cost more to get a new prescription lens install to the frame
insert witty comment
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2470 posts
190 upvotes
Vaughan
Its going to be hard selling used glasses. The person buying them has to have the exact prescription as you, and like the frames. Plus if you sell on ebay, the buyer can't try them before they buy them. Different glasses have different dimensions as well. With sites like clearly contacts selling glasses starting at $38. It would be pretty hard to sell your glasses and get close to what you paid for it. I would say you chances of selling your glasses are slim to none. I personally wouldn't buy used glasses.

I did buy my last pair of glasses from clearly contacts, and they were $38. I don't have any issues with them, quality is the same as my previous pair of glasses which I paid over $500 for @ lens crafters. I really don't see a difference, designer glasses or not.
For Sale
Banana Republic Mens Top Coat
banana-republic-mens-top-coat-1846703/#post24082895
Sep 30, 2001
25652 posts
4871 upvotes
phuviano wrote:
Mar 1st, 2011 12:19 am
The person buying them has to have the exact prescription as you
Pop the lens out and sell the frames alone.
Plus if you sell on ebay, the buyer can't try them before they buy them.
No different than any other article of clothing, yet there are thousands of such listings. If the op provides plenty of pics (and even better the frame dimensions) then people will know what they're getting. I also assume that they're practically new.
With sites like clearly contacts selling glasses starting at $38
Lest this turn into a CG-esque thread, personally I think CC's $38 frames are pretty crappy. IC! Berlin frames weigh next to nothing and are inline with how much designer frames cost. Someone looking for a bargain could be quite happy with the op's sale.

Good luck op.
Don't talk about it, be about it
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2470 posts
190 upvotes
Vaughan
MrDisco wrote:
Mar 1st, 2011 12:36 am
Pop the lens out and sell the frames alone.

No different than any other article of clothing, yet there are thousands of such listings. If the op provides plenty of pics (and even better the frame dimensions) then people will know what they're getting. I also assume that they're practically new.

Lest this turn into a CG-esque thread, personally I think CC's $38 frames are pretty crappy. IC! Berlin frames weigh next to nothing and are inline with how much designer frames cost. Someone looking for a bargain could be quite happy with the op's sale.

Good luck op.
I guess you can pop the lenses out, but the fact still remains that you can get frames alone for cheaper, even designer ones.

It is slightly different than clothing. With clothes you can try them on at the retail store, and buy online. I did that with a pair of nikes. I guess you could do this too, if you find the same pair of glasses in a retail store.

Glasses in general weigh next to nothing, well at least the three pairs I've owned. 2 designer ones, and my $38 dollar ones. I'm not saying the OP asking too much for his/her frames. I'm stating that it would probably be hard to sell something like that. How many people do you know that bought used glasses? and if so, did they buy new lenses for them? I don't know anybody who buys used glasses.
For Sale
Banana Republic Mens Top Coat
banana-republic-mens-top-coat-1846703/#post24082895
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2007
1777 posts
71 upvotes
IC! Berlin makes some of the nicest frames I've seen. Form AND function.

From my experience, the eyeglass market that encompasses IC! Berlin and the like is somewhat of a niche especially in North America. You may have to take a pretty big hit to sell them. As mentioned, try the usually local classifieds as there's nothing to lose. eBay is a good bet, I purchased my last pair of IC! Berlin frames off of there. There's probably some dedicated "Eyeware Forum/Community" on the internet with a classified section but I personally don't know of any. Good luck.
Apr 6, 2003
976 posts
81 upvotes
phuviano wrote:
Mar 1st, 2011 1:59 am
but the fact still remains that you can get frames alone for cheaper, even designer ones.

Glasses in general weigh next to nothing, well at least the three pairs I've owned. 2 designer ones, and my $38 dollar ones. I'm not saying the OP asking too much for his/her frames. I'm stating that it would probably be hard to sell something like that. How many people do you know that bought used glasses? and if so, did they buy new lenses for them? I don't know anybody who buys used glasses.

There are crappy "designer" frames, and then there are designer frames that are high quality.

You will NOT find ic!berlin frames at Costco. Just as you won't find Mykita or Lindberg frames at your local Hakim Optical.

OP, just wondering where and how you ended up with your frames - not too many places carry these and generally the people selling them do a good job making sure you choose ones that work appropriately for your face.

I would sell them on ebay - you'll take a hit guaranteed but I guess you'll have to swallow it and move on.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18500 posts
929 upvotes
You'll be lucky if you can sell them for $10 ANYWHERE. When people can buy full sets of very nice glasses for $9 online they are not going to pay for your "designer" frames, which they will then have to pay to be re-lensed.

Why anyone would buy "designer" glasses should have it's own thread.... crazy... as if anyone knows what brand your glasses frames are.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2104 posts
102 upvotes
Regina
kdub09 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2011 6:43 pm
Unfortunately my frames cost $435 + tax... they're a designer pair, so it's a tough pill to swallow to just donate outright right now, haha. But thanks for the suggestion. And thanks to everyone else too - I'll try selling online via the usual avenues and hope for the least damage.

Just as someone else said, you would be farther ahead keeping them as a spare. Eye wear is a very lucrative market with most stores operating on very high profit margins. Internet distributors try to cut margin in the name of a quick sale. These are the very people you will be competing with. Having said that, it doesn't hurt to try. The worst case scenario is that you will be out a few dollars for the listing.

One other suggestion I have, is how do you think they would look as shades? You could invest in a pair of decent lenses and make these in to designer shades. Or you could cut costs and buy some window tint from wal-mart and DIY lol.

Also, whoever posted the link of the pair that sold for $290....... those are also a brand new pair. These are used, although in like-new condition. I would think the OP would get half, or less than half of that amount selling used.

A quick ebay search shows pairs listed for $195-$245 for a NEW pair.

http://shop.ebay.ca/?_from=R40&_trksid= ... Categories
[OP]
Jan 2, 2010
184 posts
Thanks for your replies, guys - I appreciate it. Here's to answer some of your questions:
KennethToronto wrote:
Mar 1st, 2011 2:31 am
OP, just wondering where and how you ended up with your frames - not too many places carry these and generally the people selling them do a good job making sure you choose ones that work appropriately for your face.

I bought mine from Pacific Mall, got a good deal on them compared to how much they'd sell at a store like Spectacle in Toronto. But like I said, the particular store didn't have any of the frames I wanted in stock (they looked great online), but were able to order it from Germany for me no problem.

As for keeping it as a spare, it's definitely an option but I will try my best to recoup what I can (even if I have to sell it for $150-200 for the frame that retails for $450). I thought about using them as sunglasses, but they just wouldn't look good either.

I'll try to go the eBay route - like people have said, ic!berlin is a very niche type of brand, it is incredibly lightweight, screwless, and super sleek - apparently it's cut from surgical steel which explains how light it is. Absolutely cannot be compared to anything in the Costco/CC category. Everyone has their own personal preferences about how much they'd be willing to spend on a pair of glasses, whether they'd buy used/new, etc. but for someone who's looking very specifically at getting a pair of ic!berlin's, at literally 99% new (worn a total of once, not even outside), for less than half the retail price, this is a great deal. It's just being able to find that buyer that's the problem, and eBay seems to be the best bet to reach a global scale. Unfortunately my eBay account has like zero feedback, so might be hard for me to sell anything regardless.

I'll take a look at online eyewear communities/forums, and maybe some will have dedicated buy/sell areas. There are tons of ads online CL/Kijiji/eBay for sunglasses, many of which are used (I've bought some personally that are used as well) and they sell no problem, so I figured why not try the same with my eyeglasses. Granted, people won't be able to claim insurance on these, but at less than 50% the cost, it's a great deal for those who don't have insurance. My lens cost me $80, so it's not too expensive to get them replaced. I could probably offer to get the new pair of lens done myself at the optical shop I bought them from, so that the buyer saves the hassle... they could just email me their prescription of something.

Anyways, thanks again guys - appreciate it!
× < >