Automotive

Best way to sell a used car stress-free?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2015 11:07 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 24, 2009
620 posts
428 upvotes
kitchener
2009M5 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 10:57 am
Looking to sell a used vehicle in Ontario, stress-free?
Trying to maximize the price as well...want to avoid dealing with private sales due to all the paper-work.
If you want stress free quick sale, sell it to the dealer...but expect to get lest than half of what it sells for privately.
The only way you would get decent price on it from dealer would be, if you're also buying a new car from him...in that case he will try to reel you in by making it seem like you're getting a reasonable amount for your old car...
After that, he will just rip you off on the other end to make up for it..

Selling privately is little more hustle, but if you make the rules clear by the way you word your ad, you can weed out most of the tire kickers.
Highlight the fact, that you're not responding to lowballers and stick with it....really not that much work.
Since there are usually lot of "no shows", make sure that you don't go too much out of your way to accommodate their schedule...if they like the car they will adjust to yours.
This way if the buyer doesn't show up, you didn't just cancel something like your dinner night because of it and it's no big deal.
Preferably deal with cash only.

But as far as your original question is concerned, you can't suck and blow at the same time...its either more hustle and more money, or worry free but you end up paying for this convenience by getting much less.
This is pretty much how things work in real life.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1467 upvotes
Pickering
If you want top dollar, clean the hell out of it. You have to read people and dismiss the jokers. They want or need the car, not you. I went shopping with used cars for a few buddies and they are usually beat to ****. If you have a car in good shape, you will know it and people better step up or take the rusty scratched one with the smelly interior. A proper cleaning is usually worth hundreds of dollars. You could hope to offer a decent price and have someone just take it without haggling. I've had that happen twice to me. I never tried to take the price down because the price was awesome as it was. The last guy begged me not to haggle, I laughed and handed him $500 and said don't worry, I'll take it. If he told me to take a hike I would have been disappointed. Now after driving the car and knowing how it drives, I would shoot myself if I lost that car at that price.

Either people have the money or not. Also depends on what you're selling. Sell a neon green dipped 2006 Mazda 3 with pink dipped rims and you'll get d-bags all day long.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30078 posts
1344 upvotes
Fernando Po
We usually give our cars away but then, the last two times the person (my brother-in-law) has sold them and given us the cash back.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10650 posts
1687 upvotes
Toronto
Get it certified and e-tested. That eliminates a lot of the concern.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
9422 posts
2359 upvotes
When you people sell your car to private individuals, do you actually let them test drive your car? What if they crash and totals your car? Heck, what if they are even in a minor fender bender? Even if for some miracle your insurance rate doesn't go up, which I don't see why not, you are going to have the accident on record on sites like carproof.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1403 posts
438 upvotes
Calgary
Messerschmitt wrote:
Jun 13th, 2015 4:26 pm
When you people sell your car to private individuals, do you actually let them test drive your car? What if they crash and totals your car? Heck, what if they are even in a minor fender bender? Even if for some miracle your insurance rate doesn't go up, which I don't see why not, you are going to have the accident on record on sites like carproof.
As long as you make sure that the person test driving your car has valid insurance then thats fine. When i sold my galant a father son came to check the car. I drove the car all the way to the mechanic and back. Then they took it for a test drive with dad driving. Dad pulled up in his own vehicle. Son had no insurance. The insurance, from what i understand, is for the driver. If you jump into another vehicle the insurance should cover it. If the driver crashes the car his insurance will be liable to fix it. The onus is on to you to check to make sure they have comprehensive and collision.

Funny thing here, I know this guy who buy used or accident cars and repairs them and sell them. He had a matrix for sale and some guy came over and while getting into the car for the test drive he just floored the vehicle in reverse and the car went and crashed into his other car that was for sale. He apparently went through insurance, got them to payout for damages to both car (which covered the sale price of both cars) and he used some of the left over money to fix one of them up again and sell for a profit. lol.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
1843 posts
473 upvotes
Hometown
masarwar wrote:
Jun 13th, 2015 4:41 pm
As long as you make sure that the person test driving your car has valid insurance then thats fine. When i sold my galant a father son came to check the car. I drove the car all the way to the mechanic and back. Then they took it for a test drive with dad driving. Dad pulled up in his own vehicle. Son had no insurance. The insurance, from what i understand, is for the driver. If you jump into another vehicle the insurance should cover it. If the driver crashes the car his insurance will be liable to fix it. The onus is on to you to check to make sure they have comprehensive and collision.

Funny thing here, I know this guy who buy used or accident cars and repairs them and sell them. He had a matrix for sale and some guy came over and while getting into the car for the test drive he just floored the vehicle in reverse and the car went and crashed into his other car that was for sale. He apparently went through insurance, got them to payout for damages to both car (which covered the sale price of both cars) and he used some of the left over money to fix one of them up again and sell for a profit. lol.
NO THE TEST DRIVERS'S INSURANCE does not cover the repair if they get into an accident, with your car. It is your car, so it would be your insurance and your responsibility in Ontario. Insurance follows the vehicle not the driver in Ontario. You would NOT have an accident on your driving record but you would still have an accident claim on your insurance.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
8422 posts
1000 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Messerschmitt wrote:
Look at it on the flipside, would you buy a car without test driving it? At some point, one party has to give/trust.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2009
1818 posts
301 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Messerschmitt wrote:
Ask for a deposit if you have basic insurance, assume the risk he hits someone else and your premiums go up. It's all you can do.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21648 posts
2369 upvotes
jswift79 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 3:03 pm
sell to your neighbor, or family member?

only stress will happen if u get called out on selling a lemon lol
Sell it AS IS

:)