Entertainment

Best way to watch Digital Copies of movies (In Canada)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2019 4:09 pm
[OP]
Jun 5, 2010
665 posts
381 upvotes
Toronto

Best way to watch Digital Copies of movies (In Canada)

I'm in the middle of going through all my purchased Blu-Rays, and making sure everything with an UltraViolet code or Digital Copy code is redeemed.

Everything I own can either be redeemed on Flixster (UV), iTunes (Digital Copy), or Google Play (a few movies).

What is the best way to actually enjoy these movies on my devices? Either casting to my tv or, playing on my phone/tablet.

I have HTPC, which I find is ok for watching movies. But it's still through a browser. I have a Chomecast (2nd gen), which I barely use, a Fire TV Stick (Basic Edition)., a Nvidia Shield (which I just got from this year's xmas sales), a Roku 3, and a Roku Premiere.

I don't have an iPhone or other Apple products, and find iTunes pretty bad on my Windows 10 PC. I only downloaded it so I could redeem all these Digital Copy movies. But I would consider getting an Apple TV if a good sale came along.

I said specifically in Canada because I heard in the USA they now have Movies Anywhere, which has basically taken over everything...
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
8988 posts
1053 upvotes
Vancouver
Plex?
General Radek had some good ideas.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6930 posts
1822 upvotes
I have a big 4K UHD blu-ray collection. Most of them come as a combo with a 4K UHD blu-ray + regular blu-ray + digital code.
The best form of digital codes to redeem are the iTunes versions because, after you redeem it, Apple 4K TV will upgrade you to the digital 4K Version of the movie for free in most cases.
Digital movies are streamed through an internet connection.

4K UHD blu-ray disc movies look better than the apple 4K TV streamed versions for just about every movie I have. Apple 4K TV also supports Dolby Vision whereas
most 4K UHD blu-rays do HDR10, and sometimes the newer ones also have support for Dolby Vision, and HDR10+ now.

For iTunes digital code movies, you can actually download and save them directly to your PC, iPhone or iPad and view them without using the internet (if you have these devices).
I think this is only the 1080p version that Apple allows downloading directly to iPhones or iPads and you have to launch them using the iTunes app.

Google Play, Flixster, Sony Ultraviolet digital code versions are pretty much useless compared to the physical formats because
those often have lower bitrates, more compression and as a result look and sound worse than regular blu-ray because they have to be streamed over the internet.
These are about the same quality as Netflix regular streamed movies.

Ranking Digital code versions from best to worst:

1. Apple iTunes codes
2. Movies Anywhere (requires using a VPN) and also requires you to create an Apple iTunes USA account.
3. Google Play. Also have access to all Google Play movies you own on Youtube.
4. Sony UV and Flixster tied for least useful.

Last edited by XFactor11 on Jan 14th, 2019 6:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
1123 posts
340 upvotes
I would avoid using Flixster/Ultraviolet for you digital files and use iTunes or Google Play. I have a pretty huge Bluray/UHD collection and I have checked on a few of my ultraviolet copies on my Flixster app and I’m locked out of 10-20 of my movies (over 100 on there) They’re just no longer supported and feel like I’ve been robbed of my digital copies
[external link removed]
[OP]
Jun 5, 2010
665 posts
381 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 6:34 pm
Ranking Digital code versions from best to worst:

1. Apple iTunes codes
2. Movies Anywhere (requires using a VPN) and also requires you to create an Apple iTunes USA account.
3. Google Play. Also have access to all Google Play movies you own on Youtube.
4. Sony UV and Flixster tied for least useful.
Thanks. However in MOST cases, it's not an option of what I get to redeem. Usually the Blu-Ray specifically comes with a UV file, or iTunes file. Depending on the studio.

WB currently runs Flixster (and maybe UV). So all WB movies are only redeemable on UV now. Wasn't the case a few years ago.

Some movies will say they came with both UV and iTunes (HBO sets like True Detective seasons 1 and 2). Some make you choose. Like Fox. Fox is also the one who usually gives Google Play as the only option. Universal also often gives both versions.

That being said, would you say the best way to watch my iTunes versions on my tv would be with an Apple TV?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6930 posts
1822 upvotes
I prefer watching movies on 4K UHD blu-ray physical disc format first and foremost.

Apple 4K TV is convenient if you also own iTunes songs / music videos or Digital codes for TV shows because you can play them through your TV and soundbar.
On a second viewing of a movie I will sometimes watch the 4K iTunes version for comparison.

Some movies have a 4K iTunes version but have yet to release a 4K UHD blu-ray version.
Even old movies like Home Alone 1 upgraded the digital iTunes version to the 4K one for free. There is no 4K UHD blu-ray version of that movie yet.

Game of Thrones 4K UHD and regular blu-ray versions all redeem on iTunes or at least the ones I've bought had a digital code to iTunes. I
Skilas wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 10:45 pm
Thanks. However in MOST cases, it's not an option of what I get to redeem. Usually the Blu-Ray specifically comes with a UV file, or iTunes file. Depending on the studio.

WB currently runs Flixster (and maybe UV). So all WB movies are only redeemable on UV now. Wasn't the case a few years ago.

Some movies will say they came with both UV and iTunes (HBO sets like True Detective seasons 1 and 2). Some make you choose. Like Fox. Fox is also the one who usually gives Google Play as the only option. Universal also often gives both versions.

That being said, would you say the best way to watch my iTunes versions on my tv would be with an Apple TV?