• Jan 1st, 2014 10:07 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 12, 2008
559 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto

Best Way to Watch MKV Videos on a TV

So I'd like to start watching our video collection with the Sony Bravia TV. I usually just connect the HDMI cable and Minidisplay adapter with my Macbook Pro. Most of files are MKV format and the devices we got are tied to the Apple ecosystem like our iMac, iPhone and the Airport Router.

What's the best way of getting HD content to play on my TV? Some pitfalls I'm trying to avoid is the following.

1. Don't want to convert every video on my computer.
2. Don't want to lose video quality when playing it on the TV.
3. Don't want the video to buffer and lag for a ridiculous amount of time.

I'm looking for the ability to use a remote and play videos that's pointed to a folder on my computer.

Thanks!
42 replies
Oct 12, 2011
412 posts
33 upvotes
Grab a media box with the ability to use remote, there are alot of media server type softwares like Twonky, XMBC, Tversity that will allow you to do that.
My cheapest way would be grabbing an android stick or box that has HDMI and run the videos off harddrive or flash.

FYI I ran a 20GB Fast 6 MKV with android box I have and stick, both ran perfectly fine with no lag.
"Your Day To Day Communications" Authorized Wholesaler Of Teksavvy :arrow: :arrow: Tune In For Promos - $5 Off Unlimited - $10 Off Shipping :arrowl: :arrowl: :!: :!: Free VOIP Homephone (Unlimited Canada Wide) With Unlimited Internet :!: :!:
Jan 17, 2013
55 posts
1 upvote
NORTH YORK
Get WDTV or other media box then you could watch both contents on harddrive or your laptop (using DLNA or file share)
I would think this solution might be better than Andriod stick, because you'll have a remote. You can even configure Harmony remote to work with them.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2569 posts
751 upvotes
Ottawa
gong0704 wrote: Get WDTV or other media box then you could watch both contents on harddrive or your laptop (using DLNA or file share)
I would think this solution might be better than Andriod stick, because you'll have a remote. You can even configure Harmony remote to work with them.
+1 for WDTV Live Plus.
works perfectly for me
IT Services provider in Ottawa area.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24232 posts
43261 upvotes
ONTARIO
Get a media box that supports the most formats. Having to run a server on your computer to transcode on the fly because your media player doesn't support dts audio or some other format is lame.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
mod_it wrote: So I'd like to start watching our video collection with the Sony Bravia TV. I usually just connect the HDMI cable and Minidisplay adapter with my Macbook Pro. Most of files are MKV format and the devices we got are tied to the Apple ecosystem like our iMac, iPhone and the Airport Router.

What's the best way of getting HD content to play on my TV? Some pitfalls I'm trying to avoid is the following.

1. Don't want to convert every video on my computer. HTPC PLAYS EVERYTHING
2. Don't want to lose video quality when playing it on the TV. HTPC PLAYS EVERYTHING NATIVELY, NO TRANSCODE, NO QUALITY LOSS
3. Don't want the video to buffer and lag for a ridiculous amount of time. NO BUFFER BECAUSE NO TRANSCODING NECESSARY

I'm looking for the ability to use a remote and play videos that's pointed to a folder on my computer.

Thanks!
HTPC.

Media boxes and android sticks don't hold a candle to an HTPC... well unless you're budget/space restricted...

/thread
ShadowVlican
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2011
1073 posts
528 upvotes
Toronto
Many bluray players will play mkv files via a flash drive in the usb port.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4625 posts
1342 upvotes
You've asked a loaded question. What is the best? The cheapest? The most visual appealing? The easiest? The most reliable? Do you need a return policy? How is your wifi? Do you have a spare wireless keyboard/mouse (for the cheap open source solutions)?

Cheap open source solutions
Android Sticks android-4-stick-convert-your-tv-smart-t ... a-1180129/
Raspberry Pi raspberry-pi-1148461/

I'm currently considering one of the below items but they won't be available in Canada for a little while. However, they'll be more polished than the open source solutions.
Ouya ouya-preorders-going-live-amazon-bestbu ... d-1307344/
Roku 3 roku-3-a-1310226/
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2004
2513 posts
1553 upvotes
Toronto
ShadowVlican wrote: HTPC.

Media boxes and android sticks don't hold a candle to an HTPC... well unless you're budget/space restricted...

/thread
+1
I've probably had 4-5 different media boxes in the past and they're all gone for the reasons posted above.
Spend the $300 upfront for an HTPC and go enjoy you life instead spending days on end screwing around with transcoding files.

Win 7 + XBMC + VLC plays everything.
LRT: Let's Ruin Toronto
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24232 posts
43261 upvotes
ONTARIO
joo wrote: +1
I've probably had 4-5 different media boxes in the past and they're all gone for the reasons posted above.
Spend the $300 upfront for an HTPC and go enjoy you life instead spending days on end screwing around with transcoding files.

Win 7 + XBMC + VLC plays everything.
While I agree HTPC is the best route if you have the money, there ARE boxes out there that can play pretty much anything you throw at it so transcoding isn't an issue.

My boxee box plays all my movies and tv shows over my home network (nfs shares) up to 1080p with no issues at all. It's not great in the apps department (basically has Netflix, VUDU, Pandora, Navi-X) and the web browser doesn't support the latest flash, but for streaming media over your network, it's awesome.

Can pick up a refurb box for like $100-$110.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2002
1908 posts
491 upvotes
While the various media boxes (WD, Boxee, etc) and Android devices are good at playing the majority of the format that it can hardware decode, the one time you run into a file you can't play you'll wish you had just built yourself a HTPC like joo suggests. If you're an Anime watcher a common file that can't be hardware decode is 10 bit MKV's. These are not supported by the various media boxes and even on Android devices running XBMC the file has to be software decoded and the CPU in these devices are not quick enough to do it. A non ATOM/AMD E-series HTPC will do the job.

-LeeBear
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2006
2865 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
LeeBear wrote: While the various media boxes (WD, Boxee, etc) and Android devices are good at playing the majority of the format that it can hardware decode, the one time you run into a file you can't play you'll wish you had just built yourself a HTPC like joo suggests. If you're an Anime watcher a common file that can't be hardware decode is 10 bit MKV's. These are not supported by the various media boxes and even on Android devices running XBMC the file has to be software decoded and the CPU in these devices are not quick enough to do it. A non ATOM/AMD E-series HTPC will do the job.

-LeeBear
I was just about to bring up 10bit anime which is slowly becoming the norm. Not to mention support for future codecs like H.265. An HTPC is the BEST media player you can buy.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
I use a popcorn hour (They were one of the first companies to make media boxes for TVs). I recently downgrade my older a110 to the bedroom and bought an a400. I've always found that I don't run into many formats they don't support.

They have two major drawbacks. Newer units (such as the a400) are buggy as hell. They release stuff before the firmware is mature enough. The second is they are expensive. Usually because their a bit more teksavvy, can house an internal 3.5inch drive etc..

I like them, but may try an HTPC next time.

I do like media boxes though. Plug 'em into the network and you can play videos very easily :)
Apr 12, 2008
559 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
Wow...nearly overwhelmed with all these choices but I really appreciate the response.

Anime is definitely part of the content that needs to work flawlessly with this setup (read about 10bit and came across one video so far). That coupled with the benefits that ShadowVlican mentioned, makes HTPC a clear favourite for me.

I was looking at the Mac Mini as a possible solution but the price is something I need consider as an RFD member ($469 for a refurb).

I also don't want a computer tower whirling its fans away right beside the TV stand. :|

Any other recommended HTPCs or should I go with the mini?
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2006
2865 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
Good choice going with an HTPC. ;)

1) What is your budget?
2) Are there any specific sizes you prefer (as small as possible, fitting in a home theatre cabinet) or restrictions (like the aforementioned tower cases)?
3) Would you be comfortable working with computer components? ie. installing ram, hdd and an operating system.

You'll also want at least one wireless peripheral depending on the setup. Remote, kb, mouse. Lots of options to choose from. Even controlling the computer using a cell phone or tablet.

Here is an Intel NUC barebones pc, Zotac zbox pre-built ($150 more than the barebones for 4gb so-dimm and 500gb hdd, terribad) zbox barebones and some mini-itx cases to get you started.
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=78696 ... ture=Intel
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=79575 ... ture=Zotac / http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=79577 ... ture=Zotac
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=75056 ... l%20Design
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=68214 ... ture=Antec
Apr 12, 2008
559 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
So I bought a refurbished Mac Mini today with the following specs:

[QUOTE]Mac mini - Dual-Core i5 2.5Ghz (October 2012)
4GB memory

500GB hard drive

Thunderbolt port (up to 10 Gbps)
HDMI port supports multichannel audio output
Intel HD Graphics 4000[/QUOTE]

Should be here by the end of the week.

I wanted an HTPC with an extremely small footprint, quite, included newer connectivity (USB 3, Thunderbolt, ext.) and works with a harmony remote.

I'm going with the XBMC interface which looks pretty impressive given some of the setups posted online.

Apprently that UI is already dated and was improved upon :lol:
May 27, 2009
55 posts
3 upvotes
Spruce Grove
xbmc
easy and fast. have vlc as the primary player. it will play everything you have on the computer.
or just have files on computer and just play through vlc. or have hard drive connected to computer and have all movies stored there. play any movie through vlc. don't need those high price media player.
storage of your movies is very important. use a big hard drive 3t. they are cheap now. from stroage play any movie you want. xbmc will tell you waht you have played and will show the nice titles. put it into your mac

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)