• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2019 10:32 am
[OP]
Jul 27, 2006
908 posts
498 upvotes
Moncton

Best winter tires for 4wd truck?

I'm currently running the OEM Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armours on my 4wd RAM 1500. Although these tires are winter rated (snowflake symbol) they are not dedicated winter tires. I've been stuck twice so far this year in about 30cm of snow on top of ice and am sick of it.

Anyone have a recommendation for an aggressive winter truck tire that is good in deep snow, slush and ice? I've got Michelin's on my car. They are good on ice, but not so great in deeps snow or slush. Had Bridgestone's on my last car that were only marginally better, but wore fast. I'm thinking a good old fashioned deep lugged studded tire might do the job.
27 replies
Aug 18, 2014
22 posts
9 upvotes
Calgary, AB
oIIIIIo wrote:
Jan 25th, 2019 2:51 pm
I'm currently running the OEM Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armours on my 4wd RAM 1500. Although these tires are winter rated (snowflake symbol) they are not dedicated winter tires. I've been stuck twice so far this year in about 30cm of snow on top of ice and am sick of it.

Anyone have a recommendation for an aggressive winter truck tire that is good in deep snow, slush and ice? I've got Michelin's on my car. They are good on ice, but not so great in deeps snow or slush. Had Bridgestone's on my last car that were only marginally better, but wore fast. I'm thinking a good old fashioned deep lugged studded tire might do the job.
I'm running Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2s and they're amazing.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
7114 posts
1799 upvotes
I had the Toyo GSi5 on my Armada for years, and they were great tires. I highly recommend them.

This year they needed to replaced and I could only get Hankook ipike rw11 on short notice. Well we didn't get much snow this year until last week, what I have experienced with them so far is positive as well.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3230 posts
773 upvotes
Oshawa
Michelin Xi3 on one car.

Falken Espia on another car.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
7114 posts
1799 upvotes
AV-Fishing wrote:
Jan 26th, 2019 9:54 am
Michelin Xi3 on one car.

Falken Espia on another car.
Do either of those come in sizes large enough for a full size truck?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3230 posts
773 upvotes
Oshawa
Michelin would be the Xi2 Line for SUVs and Trucks ...

Falkens would be be the ESP II ...
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2594 posts
2602 upvotes
Vancouver
*Latitude Xi2

Bridgestone and Michelin both offer LT rated winter tires as well if your truck needs them.
[OP]
Jul 27, 2006
908 posts
498 upvotes
Moncton
The Michelin Xi2's don't seem to be highly rated for deep snow and slush. I've been checking out some of the plow trucks around here and a lot of them are running Cooper M+S. They might be a good choice with studs. I might go a bid narrower than stock as well.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
7114 posts
1799 upvotes
oIIIIIo wrote:
Jan 26th, 2019 9:30 pm
The Michelin Xi2's don't seem to be highly rated for deep snow and slush. I've been checking out some of the plow trucks around here and a lot of them are running Cooper M+S. They might be a good choice with studs. I might go a bid narrower than stock as well.
Forgot to ask, what size are you looking for?
[OP]
Jul 27, 2006
908 posts
498 upvotes
Moncton
Gutty96 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2019 7:39 am
Forgot to ask, what size are you looking for?
Stock size is 265/70-17, but might go with 245/75/17. The consensus on the snow plowing forums is narrower is better in the snow.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
7114 posts
1799 upvotes
oIIIIIo wrote:
Jan 27th, 2019 7:51 am
Stock size is 265/70-17, but might go with 245/75/17. The consensus on the snow plowing forums is narrower is better in the snow.
That's not bad. You should have lots of choices in those sizes. At least not stuck with the dreaded 265/70r18. I got my choice of 1 tire at every shop I checked when I bought my Hankooks.

I would suggest checking out the Toyo GSi5. They were fantastic for me. Only time will tell if I can recommend the Hankooks as much as the Toyo.

This was winter #8. No issues at all with that much snow, and I was in much deeper that day too.

Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7059 posts
850 upvotes
Alberta
I have Blizzak DMV2 on my Ford Ranger 4x4....second winter this year. They are quite good, but not great on ice. My previous set were studded General Altimax Arctic...excellemt on ice and in freezing rain conditions...very noisy due to the studs...studs were good for about 4 years...I don't drive much..under 10K total over a full year. Altimax lasted me 7 years.

Sizes for both 245/75-16. Both are not good for fuel economy as rolling resistance isn't very good.

I run Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac the other 3 seasons. Paid for a set of Load C Duratracs from CT...got a set of Load E instead...same price.
[OP]
Jul 27, 2006
908 posts
498 upvotes
Moncton
I ended up getting a set of Michelin Xi2's from the Canadian Tire clearance sale. I'm still skeptical about how they will work in deep snow and slush, but the price was right so I figured I'd give them a try. I'll report back next time we get some deep snow.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
7114 posts
1799 upvotes
oIIIIIo wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 3:42 pm
I ended up getting a set of Michelin Xi2's from the Canadian Tire clearance sale. I'm still skeptical about how they will work in deep snow and slush, but the price was right so I figured I'd give them a try. I'll report back next time we get some deep snow.
Should be okay in deep snow.

What do you plan to use in the warmer months?
[OP]
Jul 27, 2006
908 posts
498 upvotes
Moncton
I had a chance to try the Xi2 today. We had about 25 cm of fine snow yesterday with a bit of freezing rain to finish it off. I was pleasantly surprised by these tires. In spite of their lack of deep lugs and wide gaps between the tread blocks, they were actually very good in the snow. I drove through an unplowed lot that was covered in ice then 20 cm of wind blown snow with no trouble at all.