• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2019 10:32 am
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6530 posts
1301 upvotes
oIIIIIo wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 12:59 pm
I had a chance to try the Xi2 today. We had about 25 cm of fine snow yesterday with a bit of freezing rain to finish it off. I was pleasantly surprised by these tires. In spite of their lack of deep lugs and wide gaps between the tread blocks, they were actually very good in the snow. I drove through an unplowed lot that was covered in ice then 20 cm of wind blown snow with no trouble at all.
That good. Glad it worked out.

Yesterday would have been the best day to try out the Hankooks on my Aramada, but my Son decided to leave his door slightly open overnight killing the battery.

So, after the biggest storm of the year, the full size 4wd Armada with brand new winter rubber sat cozely in garage all day, whilst I drove my puddle jumping sentra on 3 season old WinterContact Sis to work and back. :|
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
40136 posts
4094 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
oIIIIIo wrote:
Jan 25th, 2019 2:51 pm
I'm currently running the OEM Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armours on my 4wd RAM 1500. Although these tires are winter rated (snowflake symbol) they are not dedicated winter tires. I've been stuck twice so far this year in about 30cm of snow on top of ice and am sick of it.

Anyone have a recommendation for an aggressive winter truck tire that is good in deep snow, slush and ice? I've got Michelin's on my car. They are good on ice, but not so great in deeps snow or slush. Had Bridgestone's on my last car that were only marginally better, but wore fast. I'm thinking a good old fashioned deep lugged studded tire might do the job.
Hm... i wonder how you got stuck with such high ground clearance and 4x4.
Did you try the 4 low setting? That should be okay to use if youre in a bunch of slush and ice.

I use yokohama g015 which are similar to yours. Snow flake rated all-terrain/all-weather tires. This is on a dinky rav4 awd. I never get stuck even in tons of slush and ice. I power through it a bit. But its pretty easy.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6530 posts
1301 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 7:52 pm
Did you try the 4 low setting? That should be okay to use if youre in a bunch of slush and ice.

I use yokohama g015 which are similar to yours. Snow flake rated all-terrain/all-weather tires. This is on a dinky rav4 awd. I never get stuck even in tons of slush and ice. I power through it a bit. But its pretty easy.
Well if OP actually owned what his username refers to, I would think he is fully understanding of how the various transfer case settings work and how and when to use them.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
40136 posts
4094 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Gutty96 wrote:
Feb 18th, 2019 3:46 pm
Well if OP actually owned what his username refers to, I would think he is fully understanding of how the various transfer case settings work and how and when to use them.
Oh i just realized thats a jeep grill.
I wasnt trying to be condescending. I’m just surprised such a mighty truck would get stuck with all-weather rated A/T tires. (unless he is exaggerating ).
& curious as to the conditions that caused it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6530 posts
1301 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Feb 18th, 2019 6:18 pm
Oh i just realized thats a jeep grill.
I wasnt trying to be condescending. I’m just surprised such a mighty truck would get stuck with all-weather rated A/T tires. (unless he is exaggerating ).
& curious as to the conditions that caused it.
I had those same tires on my RAM. I loved them. I am sure they had no issue with the snow, but it would have been the ice under the snow as the OP stated that caused issues. And stuck is relevant, was he momentarily caught up, requiring some spinning back and forth, or did he require a tractor to pull him out?
May 2, 2017
190 posts
255 upvotes
Before I sold my old FJ, I ran General Grabber AT2 tires, which are rated with the Mountain snowflake symbol for winter conditions. I was really impressed with them in all conditions. They were quiet on the highway in summer and winter, and in the winter, pretty much unstoppable. I would highly recommend them. https://www.generaltire.ca/car/tires/al ... rabber-at2

I replaced my FJ with a Touareg, unfortunately General didn't make the Grabber AT2 in an appropriate size for that, so I went with Blizzak's. They are great as well, probably better than the General AT2's on ice and hard packed snow, but definitely worse in deep snow (but, those were very different vehicles). The Grabber AT2's you can run year round, making them a more economical choice vs the Blizzak's.
[OP]
Jul 27, 2006
880 posts
473 upvotes
Moncton
UrbanPoet wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 7:52 pm
Sorry, been ignoring my own thread. Yes, I used to own a Jeep Wrangler and flogged it on the trails on a regular basis so I'm quite familiar with the t-case options. I can't think of any winter situation where 4wd low would be an advantage. That's really just for super slow speed crawling over rocks, ruts, tree trunks, etc. or possibly pulling something really heavy out of a bad situation.

Both times I was stuck clearance was not an issue - it was purely a traction issue. The first time I was able to rock it back and forth until I got enough momentum to break out. The second time I had to call a buddy to give me a tow. It was about 6 inches of wind-blown snow on top of ice, then rained on and froze. All four tires just spun on the ice and couldn't get enough traction to claw through the snow. I thought the tires were in good shape, but when I took them off to mount the winters I realized the rears were half worn out.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6530 posts
1301 upvotes
oIIIIIo wrote:
Feb 21st, 2019 8:24 pm
Sorry, been ignoring my own thread. Yes, I used to own a Jeep Wrangler and flogged it on the trails on a regular basis so I'm quite familiar with the t-case options. I can't think of any winter situation where 4wd low would be an advantage. That's really just for super slow speed crawling over rocks, ruts, tree trunks, etc. or possibly pulling something really heavy out of a bad situation.

Both times I was stuck clearance was not an issue - it was purely a traction issue. The first time I was able to rock it back and forth until I got enough momentum to break out. The second time I had to call a buddy to give me a tow. It was about 6 inches of wind-blown snow on top of ice, then rained on and froze. All four tires just spun on the ice and couldn't get enough traction to claw through the snow. I thought the tires were in good shape, but when I took them off to mount the winters I realized the rears were half worn out.
Are they going back on for summer?
[OP]
Jul 27, 2006
880 posts
473 upvotes
Moncton
Gutty96 wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2019 6:32 am
Are they going back on for summer?
Definitely. They still have life left in them and I put my winters on separate wheels so changing over is quick, easy & free.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6530 posts
1301 upvotes
oIIIIIo wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2019 6:45 am
Definitely. They still have life left in them and I put my winters on separate wheels so changing over is quick, easy & free.
Perfect. That's the ideal setup. The only issue I have had is they weigh a freaking ton, especially my 20" Armada rims, as they are steel with chrome cover.
Jun 23, 2017
133 posts
40 upvotes
I'm using BLIZZAK DM-V2 for my lexus gx460
I think they are good enough in the winter
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
1586 posts
4135 upvotes
DM-V2 seem to be the winners out of this list. If you want to go with European brands, look at the Nokian's - more expensive but in the long run, more worth it.

Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 16.26.30.png
Nov 7, 2016
116 posts
27 upvotes
Ontario
I used Firestone Winterforce 2 UV's on my old Jeep and they worked great. Dirt cheap and good traction. Full winter compound. Lots of sizes.
·Ï¢årµ§·