• Jan 8th, 2014 10:31 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 16, 2005
348 posts
9 upvotes
Montreal

Best Wiper Blades for Rain and Winter?

I am wondering what do you use on your ride and what do you think are best?
20 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24621 posts
2347 upvotes
Ottawa
Manufacturers of wiper blades are no recommending that they be replaced every 6 months. This is a relitively new sales pitch, so if that is this case now and, you can expect only 6 months life, why spend big bucks for blades? Just buy one of thhose wiper blade cleaners and keep it clean in between purchase.
I change to winter blades as the rubber enclosure around the assembly is easier to keep clean and snow and ice free.
Mar 2, 2006
816 posts
18 upvotes
I heard that the Reflex wiper blades from Canadian Tire are good. They won't freeze in the winter, unlike hinged blades. I also recommend Rain-X.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1003 posts
71 upvotes
costco have the new type of michelin's wiper (i think they call it radial), those are the one without any metal. other place sell them for around $20 each and costco charge them for 12.99. i put them on my car and it only take 1 stroke to clear all the windshield fluid on the glass.
Sep 4, 2005
803 posts
15 upvotes
Anyone ever tried the "Viewmax" frameless wipers from Wal-Mart? They are like 15 bucks (all size one price) each compare to Reflex's which can run you around 50 bucks if your wipers are long (over 20"s)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
7474 posts
383 upvotes
Scarborough
I have Reflex as the all seasons wiper. Good stuff!
astroboi wrote:
Oct 5th, 2006 2:55 pm
I heard that the Reflex wiper blades from Canadian Tire are good. They won't freeze in the winter, unlike hinged blades. I also recommend Rain-X.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
7474 posts
383 upvotes
Scarborough
The one from Wal-Mart is like Reflex but cheaper. I can't remember what it is called ?!?
ar_ken wrote:
Oct 5th, 2006 9:47 pm
Anyone ever tried the "Viewmax" frameless wipers from Wal-Mart? They are like 15 bucks (all size one price) each compare to Reflex's which can run you around 50 bucks if your wipers are long (over 20"s)
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
3814 posts
166 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Bosch are the best, period.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3731 posts
30 upvotes
Reflex are good but dont last long at all. Also if you use them for there intended season then take them off they last longer. Ive used them and my buddy and used the in winter, then didnt take them off in summer, and they were gone by the end of summer.
Nov 10, 2003
677 posts
87 upvotes
Concord
PIAA wiper blades forever.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
19754 posts
1481 upvotes
For winter, you usually want a "winter wiper" with a rubber boot on it to prevent ice/snow from jamming up the suspension, for best results. They look a little stupid but functionally in the winter they're your best bet...

I never use those personally though, lol. Regular wipers aren't bad in the winter provided you clean them and knock off the ice and stuff...

I've tried a lot of different wipers throughout the years and I have to say the Bosch MicroEdge Excel ones I bought most recently have probably been the best performing wipers I've ever owned :)

Another tip is to buy your wipers in the States, lol. For one thing Bosch wipers aren't that easy to find in Canada and for another thing they're way cheaper in the US... I think I probably paid less for the pair (and even got a free can of Stoner Invisible Glass at AutoZone, lol) than buying even the lowest-end wipers at Crappy Tire. Most of the Cdn. Tire wipers are OEM'd by Tridon, who's a good company, but the stuff at Cdn. Tire is pretty overpriced I find. The Reflex wipers look really cheap to make, yet they're ridiculously expensive IMO...

A really good idea, however, is to not just rely on wipers alone... Use of products like Rain-X or VisionBlade on your windsheild and other glass makes a world of difference for visibilty in rain. The difference in visibility with a rain repellent on your windshield is remarkable and IMO it's a must for all automobiles/drivers...
Jan 20, 2004
586 posts
29 upvotes
I like the frameless blades like the Reflex blades. I've been using a set for about 14 months now and they still perform very well.

I have used the winter blades with the rubber boot covering the whole frame. I don't really like these because when you're on the highway, you cannot get a good swipe due to the lift that is caused.
[OP]
Sep 16, 2005
348 posts
9 upvotes
Montreal
I've applied the Rain-X Rain Away stuff today and Got the Rain-X fluid. Will report how they work when it rains :)
Also
I am thinking Bosch Microedge Excels or the Wallmart Reflex.
But I need to try to get the Bosch from the states. There around 7$US Each vs in Canada they want around 25$ EACH...lol
If i can't get them from the states I'll ge tthe Wallmart brand till I go down to the states.
Jan 17, 2005
621 posts
2 upvotes
tilhasbb wrote:
Oct 9th, 2006 6:50 am
I am thinking Bosch Microedge Excels or the Wallmart Reflex.
But I need to try to get the Bosch from the states. There around 7$US Each vs in Canada they want around 25$ EACH...lol
I bought some Bosch blades from Partsmart last spring, can't remember if they were microedge excels or not but I remember they weren't that expensive about $10-12/blade depending on the length.
× < >