• Oct 27th, 2010 12:51 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes

Best wireless router for PS3

I have an old Dlink 624 router right now, almost 8 years old (hey if it still works why replace it)

And it still does work, but ever since I got my PS3 I know its really not up to snuff. Very slow downloads, patch's for games timing out constantly, etc, etc. I have never gamed online because the lag time is to slow (although it doesn't bother me as I rarely online game)

It also seems when the PS3 is downloading all my other wireless is slow. I have Xplornet for where I live, so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

So time to upgrade. Right now I have 2 laptops one wireless, one desktop on wireless, my server wired and my PS3

Whats a good router for the PS3. I have 4 games with huge patches right now and the downloads keep timing out (unless I do them at night when no other computer is on)

Thanks
23 replies
Jul 21, 2010
652 posts
493 upvotes
Any new Wireless N router should be able to handle that load. Just grab a cheap one from Hot Deals forum, unless people said not to get it.
Dec 2, 2008
631 posts
68 upvotes
Belleville
If the wireless works fine for other devices it's most likely the ps3 placement that is causing the issue.

Before spending cash, I'd fiddle with the placement of the ps3 or router.

Is it in an AV cabinet surrounded by other components? Clear line of sight to the router?
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
redblue wrote: If the wireless works fine for other devices it's most likely the ps3 placement that is causing the issue.

Before spending cash, I'd fiddle with the placement of the ps3 or router.

Is it in an AV cabinet surrounded by other components? Clear line of sight to the router?

Cant be, the router is about 12-15 feet from the PS3. more or less direct line of site to, basically across the room. No cabinets in the way, etc, etc
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
For the best possible connection you will want to run a Cat6 cable from the router to the PS3 which will beat wireless any day. If your issues go away when using a cable then leave it as it is.

However if you still want a good router I suggest the following, Linksys WRT54GL, flash it with a 3rd party firmware like DD-WRT and it will be one of the best routers around with many more features/options then any regular router.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
sickcars wrote: For the best possible connection you will want to run a Cat6 cable from the router to the PS3 which will beat wireless any day. If your issues go away when using a cable then leave it as it is.

However if you still want a good router I suggest the following, Linksys WRT54GL, flash it with a 3rd party firmware like DD-WRT and it will be one of the best routers around with many more features/options then any regular router.

Impossible to do. Completely finished basement and no way I can use a cable unless I want it draped across the floor, which I dont.

Thanks for the hint on the router
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
Any screaming deals this week?
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
sickcars wrote: Another good router would be this,

Asus RT-N16

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=45265 ... cture=ASUS

Those are the only 2 I would buy, the Asus & linksys wrt54GL but I would make sure I flash it with DD-WRT because that's what makes it such a good router.

The linksys is something not be bought in store anymore though. At least that model anyway.

I have a Linksys WRT54G and a WRT54GC at work thats not being used, and never will be. Would that one work just as well as the GL model
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Spidey wrote: The linksys is something not be bought in store anymore though. At least that model anyway

you will not find these models at stores like FutureShop/bestBuy etc because they are not computer stores they just stock regular stuff and overcharge for it lol.

If you don't mind buying online then I would buy your router from www.ncix.com they do have some locations in Toronto. There is also infonec.com or even Canadacomputers.com
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
sickcars wrote: you will not find these models at stores like FutureShop/bestBuy etc because they are not computer stores they just stock regular stuff and overcharge for it lol.

If you don't mind buying online then I would buy your router from www.ncix.com they do have some locations in Toronto. There is also infonec.com or even Canadacomputers.com

Thanks. I think I will try this router from work and see how it works. Right now its not that the PS3 doesn't connect, etc. Its just that its slow when other wireless devices are connected as well.

Once I turn off my laptop, etc the downloads speed up (as in the latest game patch would of been 6 hours during the day to under 40 minutes last night when everything was off). So basically I hope this router does a better job of sharing the wireless signal.

Benefit is out where I live I don't have to setup security at all. I think I will just leave it wide open as I live out of town so I don't need to worry about anyone stealing my signal

In theory Id like to hardwire it, but my setup wont allow it
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
also if you have not already try to update the firmware on your old router, it may fix your issue.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
sickcars wrote: also if you have not already try to update the firmware on your old router, it may fix your issue.

Its as updated as it can be. The range is good, etc And I understand every wireless connection slows down everything, but the way it is now is way to slow for the PS3. Realy my main wireless connection is my laptop, and I notice alot of slow down if the PS3 is on (if its downloading a demo, etc)

I installed the DD-WRT on the Linksys yesterday and will be trying it today.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Spidey wrote: Its as updated as it can be. The range is good, etc And I understand every wireless connection slows down everything, but the way it is now is way to slow for the PS3. Realy my main wireless connection is my laptop, and I notice alot of slow down if the PS3 is on (if its downloading a demo, etc)

I installed the DD-WRT on the Linksys yesterday and will be trying it today.

oh ok very nice,

make sure your on the least busy wireless channel also.
One thing i do for clients when I setup the WRT54GL router for them with DD-WRT is have the router restart everyday at like 5am or something like that. This is good to clear the memory and possible slow down/crashes some routers have from being on for days/weeks on end.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
sickcars wrote: oh ok very nice,

make sure your on the least busy wireless channel also.
One thing i do for clients when I setup the WRT54GL router for them with DD-WRT is have the router restart everyday at like 5am or something like that. This is good to clear the memory and possible slow down/crashes some routers have from being on for days/weeks on end.

The advantage to where I am is I can pick any channel I want, no neighbors. I am also not setting up security at all. With all the wireless items in the house, sick of always having to re-input info for certain things.

Wireless items I have

1. My Laptop (on most of the time)
2. Daughters laptop (not on that much)
3. Sons computer (not on that much)
4. PS3 (on nightly)
5. Wii (not on that much)
6. My phone (although I never use wireless) (not on that much)
7. Friends or family laptops if they visit (not on that much)

I don't download a lot with my laptop as in Limewire etc. I have my server I use for that to download big stuff

Thanks for the help. I have upped the TX output to 81 according to some research on the setup of the router. I like the idea of the reboot. My router now hasn't been rebooted for a long time, minus the times wireless seemed super slow
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Spidey wrote: The advantage to where I am is I can pick any channel I want, no neighbours. I am also not setting up security at all. With all the wireless items in the house, sick of always havin to reinput info for certain things.

Wireless items I have

1. My Laptop
2. Daughters laptop
3. Sons computer
4. PS3
5. Wii
6. My phone (although I never use wireless)
7. Friends or family laptops if they visit

I dont download a lot with my laptop as in Limewire etc. I have my server I use for that to download big stuff

Thanks for the help. I have upped the TX output to 81 according to some research on the setup of the router. I like the idea of the reboot. My router now hasnt been rebooted for a long time, minus the times wireless seemed super slow

Good good, also there is another setting i forget the name of it but it has to do with the max connections allowed on the router, its usually set at a low number and I usually put it almost at max connection. This setting is good for things like torrents that sometimes cause older router to restart because it gets overwhelmed with connections and causes the router to reboot. You may not need it but if you find it no harm in raising it.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
3781 posts
1770 upvotes
Edmonton
Spidey wrote: The advantage to where I am is I can pick any channel I want, no neighbours. I am also not setting up security at all. With all the wireless items in the house, sick of always havin to reinput info for certain things.

Wireless items I have

1. My Laptop
2. Daughters laptop
3. Sons computer
4. PS3
5. Wii
6. My phone (although I never use wireless)
7. Friends or family laptops if they visit

I dont download a lot with my laptop as in Limewire etc. I have my server I use for that to download big stuff

Thanks for the help. I have upped the TX output to 81 according to some research on the setup of the router. I like the idea of the reboot. My router now hasnt been rebooted for a long time, minus the times wireless seemed super slow

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless ... ed?start=1

This has 620 mbps WAN to LAN throughput. It has a max speed of 90 mbps using 40 mhz wide channel. Although Im assuming your ps3 is just wireless G? Im not sure I have a 360 with N. You can compare performance vs range

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/componen ... Itemid,200

DD-WRT in some routers seems to bottleneck the wireless for some reason however, depends on the router but its still a very good little piece of software.

If you have all those items connecting to your wireless at one time you might want to consider a wireless N router such as the one above which goes for around 80$ at NCIX and you can get it price matched for 65$. Enable N+G mode, you can set up multiple SSID's and limit them to certain things (if you have people in your household who are young etc). But this router is not compatible with DD-WRT (but if you aren't a tech freak then dont worry, it doesnt make the wireless run any better than it is).

Not sure how big your house is, but if your not looking for WAN to LAN throughput (a lot of people dont need it if they are just using the router as their gateway to their ISPs modem and your running less than 100 mbps connection) and range is something that is more important to you then http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless ... 0-reviewed might be a good option, its a little on the pricey side though so if your in an average sized home you probably wont need something like this.

I have this router http://www.bewawa.com/tp-link-ultimate- ... 043nd.html

which works great, it doesnt have 600 mbps WAN to LAN throughput but it does have a pretty good wireless range and gigabit ports of course, not to mention the usb share port for a printer or USB stick. It runs for $55 at bewawa with $5 shipping or you can just go on NCIX and price match it. It is compatible with DD-WRT. It also comes with a 5 year warranty.

Anyways, good luck with whatever you choose.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
mapleleafs89 wrote: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless ... ed?start=1

This has 620 mbps WAN to LAN throughput. It has a max speed of 90 mbps using 40 mhz wide channel. Although Im assuming your ps3 is just wireless G? Im not sure I have a 360 with N. You can compare performance vs range

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/componen ... Itemid,200

DD-WRT in some routers seems to bottleneck the wireless for some reason however, depends on the router but its still a very good little piece of software.

If you have all those items connecting to your wireless at one time you might want to consider a wireless N router such as the one above which goes for around 80$ at NCIX and you can get it price matched for 65$. Enable N+G mode, you can set up multiple SSID's and limit them to certain things (if you have people in your household who are young etc). But this router is not compatible with DD-WRT (but if you aren't a tech freak then dont worry, it doesnt make the wireless run any better than it is).

Not sure how big your house is, but if your not looking for WAN to LAN throughput (a lot of people dont need it if they are just using the router as their gateway to their ISPs modem and your running less than 100 mbps connection) and range is something that is more important to you then http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless ... 0-reviewed might be a good option, its a little on the pricey side though so if your in an average sized home you probably wont need something like this.

I have this router http://www.bewawa.com/tp-link-ultimate- ... 043nd.html

which works great, it doesnt have 600 mbps WAN to LAN throughput but it does have a pretty good wireless range and gigabit ports of course, not to mention the usb share port for a printer or USB stick. It runs for $55 at bewawa with $5 shipping or you can just go on NCIX and price match it. It is compatible with DD-WRT. It also comes with a 5 year warranty.

Anyways, good luck with whatever you choose.

Actually the most that ever connects is my laptop. My kids dont use there computers a lot, and the Wii is only occasionaly, and unless its connecting through the game somehow, they never go anywhere dealing with the internet with the Wii.

Was considering N but will go the free route first and see how it does. Its mostly the slow down on the wireless when the PS3 is downloading a demo or patch, etc Im just getting sick of the timeouts all the time.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
3781 posts
1770 upvotes
Edmonton
Whats your actual internet connection speed? Maybe its just slow in general?
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
mapleleafs89 wrote: Whats your actual internet connection speed? Maybe its just slow in general?

I thought of that to, being on Xplornet and all, but I get pretty good download speeds when downloading files on my laptop or directly wires on my server.

Its actually kinda been like this since Ive gotten then PS3, but just lived with it since it wasnt a big deal. But noticed it more and more lately so thought to try some things