Shopping Discussion

Best/Worst Courier Service in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 18th, 2014 12:07 am
Tags:
None

Poll: Best Courier Service

• Total votes: 45. You have voted on this poll.
FedEx

24%
UPS

16%
DHL

11%
Purolator

24%
Others

24%
[OP]
Aug 1, 2011
37 posts
2 upvotes
ST. JOHN'S

Best/Worst Courier Service in Canada?

Which company do you think is the best and worst at providing courier services?

Personally I am most impressed with FedEx (Express) with UPS a close 2nd, only because FedEx is willing to go above and beyond by having the actual local driver call me to tell me their arrival time to a good 1 hour range so I could rush home to get the package. Nobody else I know of does that, they say 9-5 (great, Im at work then also).

The worst mainstream courier in my experience I'd have to say is canpar. Bad experience a couple of times in the past; I will never use them again. Fool me once shame on you; fool me twice shame on me.
29 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2005
6166 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto
UPS (United Package Smashers) is by far the worst courier service in Canada. Huge rip off brokage fees ad 98% the time they damage your packages and just dont plain care about them. Lets not forget they pretend to delivery your packages so they can force you to go to the depot to pick them up.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1172 posts
102 upvotes
Vancouver
mysticalinfluence wrote:
Aug 25th, 2011 7:39 pm
UPS (United Package Smashers) is by far the worst courier service in Canada. Huge rip off brokage fees ad 98% the time damage your packages and just dont plain care about them. Lets not forget they pretend to delivery your packages so they can force you go to the depot to pick them up.

Now now, all couriers are equally as bad for handling cargo. They don't care, they just throw stuff, you would be surprised. I really disagree about UPS being the worst. Its actually one of the best. I am on the fence with FedEx/UPS being number 1 though but at the end of the day FedEx takes the cake. Lets face it, things do happen and its not intentional.

1.FedEx: For its consistent reliable service, friendly drivers, good customer service and convenient plus better looking uniforms =P. Only downside is delivery by noon.
2. UPS: Most of the time reliable, convenient, they will always attempt delivery, easy to deal with, pretty fast international transit times
3. Purolator: Okay service, very slow ground shippping, bad customer service, ugly delivery trucks, they use UPS for allot of internationals
4. DHL: Absoloute worst for every reason imaginable to always losing packages, to lazyness, to no delivery, bad customer service, very poor company, rates are too low for their own good...
Feb 28, 2010
24 posts
Canada
My vote is for DHL, because they actually deliver to my door! Purolator forces me to drive 10 km to the nearest PO for my small items and UPS gouges Canadians senseless for any cross border transaction, although they are actually good for delivery within the country. I have no opinion about FedEx.
Dec 30, 1969
1 posts
Toronto
never ever agin in my life i am going to trust UPS for timely delivery! forget about handelling as they all are same! but UPS somehow is pain in the ass!
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1970 upvotes
Oops read the poll wrong. I focused on the worst since all people do here is complain and so I picked DHL. Canpar is pretty bad too and UPS. Purolator is pretty good for delivery but terrible if you have to pick up at least at my depot. Canada Post is by far the best for me for package delivery.
April 28th is a National Day of Mourning for those killed or injured on the job. Mourn for the dead, fight for the living. We all deserve to return home safely at night.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8342 posts
2500 upvotes
Ottawa
Where is the option for none?
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
1930 posts
133 upvotes
Mississauga
so what happen to canada post?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
16122 posts
3581 upvotes
There's no way to justify this as most courier experiences have to do with the individual driver. I could have an awesome UPS driver and a crap CP driver and someone else could have the exact opposite.
Or I just nip the problem in the bud by having a box at the UPS Store. Everyone delivers there and there's always someone to receive it.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2274 posts
496 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Dec 16th, 2014 5:43 pm
There's no way to justify this as most courier experiences have to do with the individual driver. I could have an awesome UPS driver and a crap CP driver and someone else could have the exact opposite.
Or I just nip the problem in the bud by having a box at the UPS Store. Everyone delivers there and there's always someone to receive it.
+1
The driver / delivery person has the biggest impact on the quality of service you typically get.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1227 posts
587 upvotes
Ottawa ON
Best is FedEx, the only courrier who comes to my door instead of pretending to. I never have to drive to pick up the package at a center.

UPS is the worst because they pretend to come and sometimes leave my packages outside of our apartment lobby for them to get stolen while I'm at work.

DHL is good, but they're slimy with fees. They charged me a ridiculous 10-15$ admin fee if I order from outside Canada all the time, even this the package is cheap in cost in terms of value.

Purolator pretends to come to my door and doesn't even buzz us. They're second worst.

FedEx wins no contest.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
3996 posts
86 upvotes
FedEx>UPS>-------DHL>-----Purolator>--------- Canpar at the absolute bottom. Canada Post is actually pretty good if you use expedited or better and can live with the delivery times.

I notice that Canpar is so bad that no one even mentioned them lol.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2693 posts
233 upvotes
People would say Canada Post is the best (cheap, more options for pick up) and the worst (OMG STUPID UNION SO EXPENSIVE FIRE THEM ALL THEY ARE SO LAZY) at the same time.
Be Happy
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2693 posts
233 upvotes
And as someone who once dealt with shipping & receiving, Canada Post is by far the best of the options if you're Canadian. It's the easiest to add on more pick ups/deliveries as a business, and the cheapest/quickest option too. They come to you, you don't have to go to them.
Be Happy
× < >