Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
8029 posts
1625 upvotes
Toronto
carmaster wrote:
Mar 18th, 2016 4:44 pm
How much are these?
Seems the standard supermarket rate is $2.99 each but you get a slight discount if you buy multiples
Longo's & Highland Farms has 6 for $14.99 (HF touts minimum weight of 100g each)

Loblaws has 4 for $9.99

Sobeys has 4 for $10

Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
6597 posts
1303 upvotes
jenviea wrote:
Mar 18th, 2016 4:32 pm
Zeppoles have returned to Longo's, Sobeys, Highland Farms and Loblaws in time for Easter
i tried the one at loblaws. it was nasty. took a bite and threw it out.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6359 posts
576 upvotes
Toronto
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2016 1:47 am
i tried the one at loblaws. it was nasty. took a bite and threw it out.
Even the Paczki at Loblaws this year was hard and stale and not like it used to be in days of old.

What did it taste like? Did it have cheese in the pastry part? sandwiched in between, on top?

Reminds me kind of choux pastry from the looks. Thought these were supposed to be fried like doughnuts though.

Anyways, today be St Joseph's day when these be popular.

Loblaws usually has great hotcross buns with lots of fruits. Hope this hasn't gone down the drain as well.
Mar 28, 2013
208 posts
18 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
dor79 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2011 5:52 pm
My vote still goes to SanRemo... I went to La Sem and then that bakery across the street, but they aren't as good as Sanremo's
Try Francesca in Scarborough. Son trained to be a baker in Sicily. Best canoli's there as well as I find La Sem puts fillers in their ricotta.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
6597 posts
1303 upvotes
gh05t wrote:
Mar 19th, 2016 8:38 am
Even the Paczki at Loblaws this year was hard and stale and not like it used to be in days of old.

What did it taste like? Did it have cheese in the pastry part? sandwiched in between, on top?

Reminds me kind of choux pastry from the looks. Thought these were supposed to be fried like doughnuts though.

Anyways, today be St Joseph's day when these be popular.

Loblaws usually has great hotcross buns with lots of fruits. Hope this hasn't gone down the drain as well.
didn't notice any cheese in the pastry. it was definitely very hard and stale. the filling was bad as well. like a thick wall paper paste consistency. they probably bring it in frozen and thaw it before putting it in the display case.

i was talking to the lady there and she said some of the things they get from dufflet are frozen so i wouldn't be surprised if the zeppoles are the same. if so, it doesn't stand up to the freezing process well. even without the texture problems the flavour was still nothing to write home about.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Aug 25, 2015
758 posts
149 upvotes
Montreal, QC
flypretty wrote:
Mar 20th, 2011 8:44 am
On sale this week at both highland farms and longos lol. That thing really looks fat and filling..all that cream! Whats so good about it? The Italian cherries?
its not that fat if you keep it at one or two. its just choux pastry deep fried and filled with ricotta whipped cream (same filling as cannoli) sometimes, there's chocolate chips in the cream and top with a dark cherry.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6359 posts
576 upvotes
Toronto
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2016 6:50 pm
they probably bring it in frozen and thaw it before putting it in the display case.
I would believe they are frozen. The last Paczki I bought at No Frills were cold, dry and hard.

Puttin it in the toater oven for a minute was OK but I get what you're saying about the texture.

Not sure if the zeppoles are traditionally made with cheese but I got the cheese thing from this recipe on allrecipes.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/19847/zeppole/
Aug 25, 2015
758 posts
149 upvotes
Montreal, QC
gh05t wrote:
Mar 19th, 2016 8:09 pm
Not sure if the zeppoles are traditionally made with cheese but I got the cheese thing from this recipe on allrecipes.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/19847/zeppole/
yes, traditionally, its with a ricotta filling. same filling as you'd find in a cannoli. but you can do with whatever filling you want, chantilly cream is pretty good as well as custard
Mar 19, 2015
605 posts
113 upvotes
Canada
I've given up on ZEPPOLE. There are better pastries & cakes that you can buy!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
8029 posts
1625 upvotes
Toronto
Yes I know all supermarket prepared stuff is crap but it's that time of year again and the usual suspects Loblaws, Longos, Sobeys are all offering zeppoles in their flyers
I think Sobeys offers them year round (at least the minis)
Feb 5, 2017
10 posts
3 upvotes
+1 for San Remo Bakery. I have one last tuesday Nutella and Banana. Want to try the Cherry one next. Tastes like a Honey Cruller at Timmys with whipped cream with banana and Nutella. Pricing for all are $3.75 each. You can pre order I heard so you wont go home without. Donuts are recommended as well. Go early~!!
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2002
2171 posts
240 upvotes
Burlington
+1 for San Remo...melt in your mouth!
Free Nortel tips and tricks blog, as well as second opinion on a move to VoIP (for my RFD friends). PM for details.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel