Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Bestbuy

Bestbuy - Koodo for LG and Samsung

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2019 9:53 am
Feb 19, 2005
222 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto

Bestbuy - Koodo for LG and Samsung

Expiry:
January 16, 2019
Retailer:
Bestbuy
I am new to this. Looks like a decent deal from bestbuy with gift cards
Images
  • 2D481552-D982-4D6F-AD61-477BD1C3EB62.jpeg
  • 65683A5F-B9CF-4051-9202-AA64875D4090.jpeg
25 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
7988 posts
11548 upvotes
Those phones are old and worth pennies.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10207 posts
11269 upvotes
Gtaphotog wrote: Those phones are old and worth pennies.
The G6 is a fantastic phone. Is you're willing to sell it to me for 'pennies' I've got a bunch around here somewhere.

Stop with the hyperbole. The G6 is hovering around $250 on ebay. It's nowhere near 'pennies'.

All that said, this deal is ICE cold. Buying and cancelling with Koodo means: $480+tax - $150 = $330 + tax

Not a deal at all.
Jan 11, 2019
3 posts
7 upvotes
Although I agree that this isn't too good a deal, I think we all really appreciate you for posting! :)
Last edited by Applepiesnow on Jan 17th, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 4, 2018
82 posts
58 upvotes
Currently using the g6 and its great. I previously had an iphone 8 but decided to sell it because Koodo had a decent signup deal ($200 walmart GC). $150 at Best Buy isnt bad, but it definitely gets better.
Freedom - $130/year talk/text
Fido - $5/mo 4GB data
Aug 27, 2014
639 posts
397 upvotes
repatch wrote: The G6 is a fantastic phone. Is you're willing to sell it to me for 'pennies' I've got a bunch around here somewhere.

Stop with the hyperbole. The G6 is hovering around $250 on ebay. It's nowhere near 'pennies'.

All that said, this deal is ICE cold. Buying and cancelling with Koodo means: $480+tax - $150 = $330 + tax

Not a deal at all.
Furthermore, Walmart had the G6 on the small tab with a $250 gift card during the holidays up until early this week.

They also had the A8 on the small tab with a $225, which is what I purchased. The A5 had a $300 gift card!

It is ridiculous to call anything like the G6 an old phone, that comment must have been made by someone addicted to the latest crap whether it is worth buying or not.
Dec 13, 2005
447 posts
395 upvotes
G6 is decent, plays Fortnite and pubg at okay (but not amazing) frame rates. With 200 or higher gift card and $50 trade in it is basically free.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10207 posts
11269 upvotes
adavidso wrote: G6 is decent, plays Fortnite and pubg at okay (but not amazing) frame rates. With 200 or higher gift card and $50 trade in it is basically free.
With the price you pay for the in market plan you need to take this 'deal' you're paying WAY more then you should be. There are alot better deals out there.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4018 posts
2516 upvotes
Halifax
The Koodo website still has the G6 going for $240. With SIM card cost, 1 day of service, and tax, that is still less than $300. With Best Buy, you still have to pay an activation fee, and are obligated to stay with Koodo for 90 days if you intend to take advantage of Best Buy's gift card.
Oct 27, 2018
89 posts
54 upvotes
bridonca wrote: The Koodo website still has the G6 going for $240. With SIM card cost, 1 day of service, and tax, that is still less than $300. With Best Buy, you still have to pay an activation fee, and are obligated to stay with Koodo for 90 days if you intend to take advantage of Best Buy's gift card.
No you don't, you can cancel (or port out) right away if you want. You're not obligated. This only ensures that best buy receives their commission. The GC is yours once the activation is done.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
1708 posts
697 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
The problem with buying these phones is that when you buy them they’re already out of date in terms of their android version. For example if you buy a G7 it will have an old version of android out of the box. Personally I love these phones in the hardware but I really don’t feel that they are worth it in terms of software updates. That’s why I personally I’d stick with an iPhone or a Google phone. While the hardware is great with LG and Samsung their software updates On their mid range phones especially is left to be desired
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
2817 posts
3144 upvotes
Toronto
LG G6 is great.
Got it just before BF for under $100.
I would have gotten it even if it was $150.
Latest Android version hasn't offered me anything significant other than the fact that it's "newer". So getting last gen phone isn't a big problem, I mean 80% of the apps I use were apps that I've been using for the last several years. Having a newer OS under there isn't doing much. And it's not like it's that far behind that the latest versions of the apps stop working with the older OS.
I'd rather pay $150 every year, than $5-600 every other year.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2015
5277 posts
4937 upvotes
Southern Ontario
LuxErus wrote: Furthermore, Walmart had the G6 on the small tab with a $250 gift card during the holidays up until early this week.

They also had the A8 on the small tab with a $225, which is what I purchased. The A5 had a $300 gift card!

It is ridiculous to call anything like the G6 an old phone, that comment must have been made by someone addicted to the latest crap whether it is worth buying or not.
In Android terms, it's an old phone. Mine is barely 6 months old and it can't make it a day on a charge. Old tech like Snapdragon 821 quad core chip when everyone is on 8 Core chips now... in my experience the mid-range 630 chipsets seem faster. It has a nice screen, waterproof, but that's it. I can't recommend it in 2019. Lucky if I can get $150 for my used one when I sell it. It runs Kijiji nice and choppy, too.

If you don't care what you daily drive and got that big gift card... then I guess it's acceptable. Some of us know there are much better choices for a budget phone in 2019.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10207 posts
11269 upvotes
Gibsons wrote: In Android terms, it's an old phone. Mine is barely 6 months old and it can't make it a day on a charge. Old tech like Snapdragon 821 quad core chip when everyone is on 8 Core chips now... in my experience the mid-range 630 chipsets seem faster. It has a nice screen, waterproof, but that's it. I can't recommend it in 2019. Lucky if I can get $150 for my used one when I sell it. It runs Kijiji nice and choppy, too.

If you don't care what you daily drive and got that big gift card... then I guess it's acceptable. Some of us know there are much better choices for a budget phone in 2019.
If you can't make a day of charge, and kijiji is choppy, you need to research what app is zapping your battery life and killing your performance.

The 821 in the G6 is a very fast SOC, everything on your phone should be snappy (make it even snappier by setting all the animations to 0X, or at least 0.5X in developer settings). If it's not then there is an app that is causing you problems, and moving to another phone won't help as much as you might think.

This is one area where the crazy aggressive memory culling that MIUI from Xiaomi uses helps: the Chinese flavours of Android tend to be far more aggressive about closing apps you aren't using. The result is compatibility issues with apps that are SUPPOSED to stay in the background (there are ways to deal with that), but the upside is you rarely get these problems.

For example, both the Reddit and MX Player apps are particularly bad. If they are left to sit around in the background my battery life slowly drops, and I experience the choppiness you describe. Even worse is Skype for Business, that one cases the whole phone to lag. The camera app also affects things sometimes, as does Google maps. Kill those apps and my phone feels like it just came from the factory.

Note that these slow downs are not unique to the G6, I had the same issues with my G5, with my Nexus, and with a could Android tablets. Even my Chromebook slows if I leave certain android apps running in the background.

The ONLY phone I never have these problems has been my Xiaomi Note 4, rarely do I ever kill an app because of performance degradation.

FWIW, I'm finished with flagships, the performance of even mid range SOCs is more then enough for the vast majority of people. Honestly, what does the S9 or S8 do that the S7 doesn't? I've always been on the flagship edge, usually buying one after first discounts (usually 3-4 months after release), and that was because it was the only place to get the camera setup I want (super wide is a camera I can't live without). Now that manufacturers have FINALLY started to wake up to the awesomeness that is the superwide my next phone will likely not be soon, and likely not be a flagship, or even former flagship. As long as the camera setup rocks I'll be happy.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2015
5277 posts
4937 upvotes
Southern Ontario
LG's interface has too much bloat just like Samsung. I tried my friend's S9 and thought it wasn't as fast as it should be... too much bloat. Certain things went blazing fast then others there were hesitations.

Like I said before, give me a midgrade, newer, more power efficient, 8 core Snapdragon and 4GB of ram over an old 821 that is known to suck a ton of juice. LG G6 is not a good phone in 2019 unless you are poor and don't care what you get.

And no matter what I did, Kijiji was laggy on the G6, it's a mediocre phone with an outdated 2016 era chip and GPU that didn't do well in early 2017 against the competition.

You might want to google LG G6 battery drain and see that the phone is plagued with battery problems. This is why they're giving it to you for nothing on the Small Tab. Old phone, old battery, outdated processor, etc.

https://www.technobezz.com/fix-lg-g6-ba ... fe-issues/

It tells you to clear apps, shut off WiFi, etc, but I don't have to do that stuff with my new phone and it lasts me 2 days on a charge with the same usage levels.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2012
1685 posts
744 upvotes
TBD
I actually need to sign up for a phone plan, it seems like there are no WOW or Mobile Shop deals currently?
Jul 31, 2016
643 posts
1275 upvotes
Whitby
Gibsons wrote: In Android terms, it's an old phone. Mine is barely 6 months old and it can't make it a day on a charge. Old tech like Snapdragon 821 quad core chip when everyone is on 8 Core chips now... in my experience the mid-range 630 chipsets seem faster. It has a nice screen, waterproof, but that's it. I can't recommend it in 2019. Lucky if I can get $150 for my used one when I sell it. It runs Kijiji nice and choppy, too.

No offense, but your understanding of technology is seriously limited if you think 8 cores are required for a phone (or if they're even used).