Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Nest 2.0 - $199.99, Ecobee3 - 249.99 (no tax at Lowes)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 6th, 2015 10:26 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2003
1430 posts
421 upvotes
Ottawa
milhaus wrote: Umm, actually, it's Google. Apple troll fail!
I guess the humor was too subtle. And was lost on you....nvm then
To be or not to be...where is the question?
Mar 14, 2005
266 posts
51 upvotes
baz5 wrote: Okay. I've never actually programmed mine so makes sense.
Still can't justify that price.
I think it's supposed to program itself? It learns the times and days of the week that you turn it off and on, and what temperatures. Then after a few weeks it's able to do it for you. Of course you can override it, and the app interface makes it way easier to program and re-program too. Rather than using a clunky on-wall interface.

Things like using the phone app to pre-heat/cool the house as you're driving home make it convenient.

This is probably true of all wifi thermostats like honeywell lyric or ecobee, but I don't have experience with those.
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2009
1314 posts
289 upvotes
I have 2.0 and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It's quite a bit less of a thermostat than its competitors, and the company is not focused on making it any better.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30057 upvotes
Center of Universe
bluenote wrote: I have 2.0 and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It's quite a bit less of a thermostat than its competitors, and the company is not focused on making it any better.
That's why they're releasing 3.0...lol
If the Nest is not cutting it for you, come and join us Ecobee3 users.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1457 posts
767 upvotes
Toronto
When the nest learns when you are home and aren't home, doesn't the a/c work harder to cool the house back down when you are home? How does this "save" money when you can set any ordinary programmable thermostat to do the same thing?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
This is programmable for the lazy and people not into routine.
jokerstone1 wrote: When the nest learns when you are home and aren't home, doesn't the a/c work harder to cool the house back down when you are home? How does this "save" money when you can set any ordinary programmable thermostat to do the same thing?
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
2877 posts
2842 upvotes
Ottawa
jokerstone1 wrote: When the nest learns when you are home and aren't home, doesn't the a/c work harder to cool the house back down when you are home? How does this "save" money when you can set any ordinary programmable thermostat to do the same thing?
It'll start cooling the house before you go back home such that it'll be at desired temperature once you arrive
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30057 upvotes
Center of Universe
None of these smart tstats really saves you money, unless you are very forgetful on turning the heat/ac off or lower/increase the temp when out of the house.
As you stated, the comfort features where the tstat starts cooling or warming your home an hour or so ahead of time and then requires to maintain the desired temp; requires your hvac to run that much longer.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2005
1589 posts
118 upvotes
This is suppose to be a thread about a deal but most of these posts are from Nest haters. They wouldn't be in businesses if they sucked as hard as most of you claim. I have a nest 2 and it's been great for me.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2011
1408 posts
830 upvotes
Ajax
DYJ wrote: This is suppose to be a thread about a deal but most of these posts are from Nest haters. They wouldn't be in businesses if they sucked as hard as most of you claim. I have a nest 2 and it's been great for me.
Agreed. I also have a nest for the past 2 years and it has been great for me as well. Haters gonna hate.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30057 upvotes
Center of Universe
^ Don't get your panties all in a bunch.
No one is hating on anything, just answering a question about the workings of a smart tstat.
Dec 6, 2010
83 posts
25 upvotes
I just picked one up at Rona and was able to price match with 10% off as they still have it listed at 249.00.

So I got it for 179.10 before taxes. Not too bad.

Now just need to figure out how to get my thousand year old thermostat off the wall...
Dec 10, 2008
368 posts
294 upvotes
You will want the higher resolution screen of the 3.0. The ads will look a lot nicer.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2007
1424 posts
394 upvotes
GVRD
covabwoy wrote: Agreed. I also have a nest for the past 2 years and it has been great for me as well. Haters gonna hate.
Love mine too, even picked up the smoke/c02 detectors when my others expired. Love it every day and really wish they would start making home alarms
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
4880 posts
2787 upvotes
Ontario
Keep an eye on kijiji for older generation models. I got my 2nd gen not too long ago for $40 from a local guy
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
4250 posts
460 upvotes
The savings are real for me but i'm coming from a non-programmable unit and I rarely remembered to turn it down. The auto-away feature is also very useful if you don't have a routine schedule since it slips into away mode automatically when you leave.

Also, beyond just the auto-away and easy programming, it's really convenient to be able to turn your tstat on from your phone so it's the right temperature when you get home.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)